Just a query really, I am thinking about fitting an electric fuel pump to my Tr 250, currently on  strombergs, I know people will have done this but was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for which pump, and where to position, any info including photos would be welcome.

Paul

A Facet "Solid State" pump is cheap enough to experiment, and offers only 3-4psi, so suitable for carbs with no need for a pressure regulator.   Not noisy either, but you could mount it on bobbins.   Mount it at or below the the tank, as it's a blower, not a sucker!

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/facet-solid-state-electronic-fuel-pump-243224/?sku=FSESS501&istCompanyId=a2904180-3a7d-4e56-b876-cf81c9512180&istFeedId=6fbc4b04-fd28-4ce1-8513-835c8f118690&istItemId=wptpipprr&istBid=t&gclid=CjwKCAjwrcH3BRApEiwAxjdPTdb1F-uNuIUMRyqqRHPvED57PHr7P6p5szSM6QgR7bvxjW-YXjRBmhoCOk0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm not a fan of Facet pumps. Had two on different cars. Both lasted 13 months (ie: just out of guarantee) before giving up the ghost.

Take a look at Carter. I got mine from Real Steel and it must have been on the car for 12 - 15 years by now.

Jerry

Fuel Flow Ecco pump .  Had one ten years no issues. They perform like lucas electric in that they only pump on demand. You can hear about 15 clicks while the carbs are primed then car starts first crank. Silent when running and they are compatible with E10 fuels. Need to install inertia cut out switch in supply circuit for safety in case of accident. Mount under floor of boot with filter.

I’ve recently moved to a huco pump

https://classiccarbs.co.uk/product/huco-12v-electric-fuel-pump-weber-dellorto-twin-carbs-made-in-germany

been very good, low pressure pump on demand. Check the model number because they do a push ( mounted near tank) and pull ( mounted under bonnet) versions

available on eBay at less cost. 
I also fitted an inertia cut out that’s cost effective from eBay.

12 hours ago, jerrytr5 said:

I'm not a fan of Facet pumps. Had two on different cars. Both lasted 13 months (ie: just out of guarantee) before giving up the ghost.

Take a look at Carter. I got mine from Real Steel and it must have been on the car for 12 - 15 years by now.

Jerry

Many of Real Steel's staff are furloughed, though they are working with a skeleton staff. (one of their workers lives here!)

TT

11 hours ago, Hamish said:

https://classiccarbs.co.uk/product/huco-12v-electric-fuel-pump-weber-dellorto-twin-carbs-made-in-germany

been very good, low pressure pump on demand. Check the model number because they do a push ( mounted near tank) and pull ( mounted under bonnet) versions

There's always something to learn. :rolleyes:

Its worth thinking about pump priming and fuel tank draining before you start.

Im thinking of fitting a 3way Y fuel tap between the tank and the pump so i can:-

1. Turn off the tank while playing with the fuel system.

2. Drain the tank/system easily.

3. Connect to the drain and turn the tank Off so i can prime the pump.

image.png.8818d465efd9c8c370f89c333de13c42.png

On 6/23/2020 at 9:51 AM, Hamish said:

+1 for Huco pump and cut out

Beware imitation pumps on Ebay, they look the same but Chinese?

Also fitted Malpassi filter and Huco 132020 fuel pump relay which takes a signal from the coil to maintain power to the pump but cuts out if the engine stops/stalls even if the ignition is still on

Phil

On 6/22/2020 at 11:17 PM, jerrytr5 said:

Jerry

Jerry

Surprised by your comment, I have used Facet solid state pumps for over 20 years and never had one fail. 

On 6/22/2020 at 11:40 AM, john.r.davies said:

A Facet "Solid State" pump is cheap enough to experiment, and offers only 3-4psi, so suitable for carbs with no need for a pressure regulator.   Not noisy either, but you could mount it on bobbins.   Mount it at or below the the tank, as it's a blower, not a sucker!

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/facet-solid-state-electronic-fuel-pump-243224/?sku=FSESS501&istCompanyId=a2904180-3a7d-4e56-b876-cf81c9512180&istFeedId=6fbc4b04-fd28-4ce1-8513-835c8f118690&istItemId=wptpipprr&istBid=t&gclid=CjwKCAjwrcH3BRApEiwAxjdPTdb1F-uNuIUMRyqqRHPvED57PHr7P6p5szSM6QgR7bvxjW-YXjRBmhoCOk0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I see the road version (lower pressure) states up to engines of 1600cc, does that work ok on a 4a?

David

Just my own unsolicited opinion, but why not stick with the mechanical AC pump? In over 50 years of TRs, it is one of the components that has never failed. I would add a shut off valve up stream of the pump for convenience when servicing the pump or carbs. Because the fuel level in tank is higher the than carbs or pump (when full), It also prevents filling the crankcase with gas from a stuck carb float valve or leaking diaphragm (which has never happened).

Berry

I'm with Berry. I've been using the AC type on my TR250s since 1976 when I got the first one, and since 1996 have used them successfully with triple Weber DCOEs. Current supply are alcohol resistant; don't know if you have that issue in the UK/Europe.

Some owners would rather not bother with manual priming and go for the electric to avoid it. When I ran Strombergs and used the car for a daily driver or several times per week I never bothered to hand prime. With the Webers they can take up to 30 pumps of the lever to refill them after a week of sitting.

Tom

2 hours ago, dingle said:

Just my own unsolicited opinion, but why not stick with the mechanical AC pump? In over 50 years of TRs, it is one of the components that has never failed. I would add a shut off valve up stream of the pump for convenience when servicing the pump or carbs. Because the fuel level in tank is higher the than carbs or pump (when full), It also prevents filling the crankcase with gas from a stuck carb float valve or leaking diaphragm (which has never happened).

Berry

Mine failed half way up loton park hillclimb.

then had unrelated fuel feed problems The following years so tried elec pump. Just never went back to ac pump even though refurbished by Dave Davies .

14 minutes ago, Tom Fremont said:

No, they evaporate through the K&N filters. I imagine it would be even faster without them. Someday I'll design a suitable airbox for them and just cover the inlet when I park it.

Tom

I have never had that in 25+years of using Webers 

On 6/26/2020 at 5:13 PM, ntc said:

I have never had that in 25+years of using Webers 

I wouldn't think they should evaporate nearly as rapidly in chronically damp air ^_^

Anyway, if you're using an electric pump how would you know if the fuel level has dropped in the carbs? I don't bother priming my driver's because it's usually only a day or two between drives, and the cold start/ accel pumps do fine without.

TRIUMPH fitted pumps with priming levers on the twin carb US applications for a reason. The Webers have lots more evaporative potential and seldom come with an airbox to mitigate evaporative loss , like the original Strombergs have - mine don't, anyway.

I've only been running Weber DCOEs on my '250s for 24 years so you've got me beat. Dunno about miles racked up though -_-

Tom