Hi everyone,

I would like to let you know that Paypal would make it so much easier to deal with anyone on this forum.  I am in Canada and I plan on completely restoring the TR3 A I just bought over the next 3-4 years.  However, I find the response "I don't use Paypal" a real pain. 

I have used it consistently for years and from a speed, currency exchange, and reliability standpoint I have trouble understanding why people don't use it.

If you want to sell more parts globally I suggest you look into it.

I say this with the best of intentions.

David Owen

I dont fully understand the objection to Paypal, I have relied on it for many years for both eBay sales and purchases and helping people out with parts that US vendors wont ship overseas. I also use it for online purchases when I dont know the vendor and dont want to give up credit card info.

Stan

I for one prefer to use pay pal when given the option. Like you say it introduces another layer of protection and can be used to pay anyone with an email address quickly and easily.

Ralph.

I do use PayPal too for buying things, and will often use it to save having to look up my credit card number. However I have never attempted to sell anything using it, simply because I have no idea how to create a Pay Pal invoice for a private individual, nor would I know how to transfer the funds received out of my PayPal account !:o  I'm sure it is no doubt relatively easy to do, but have never bothered to look it up on their web site having no interest in IT forms etc. Like many things it is probably quite simple once you know how. I wonder if some others are equally as lethargic as me and this is why they don't use it? I also hear of small companies saying that they don't accept it because of the charges they have to pay, but I wouldn't know if this is justified. However such comments also may put people off.     

I've never used it out of ignorance and therefore worrying I'd be swindled. Having read all these positive testimonials, I'll definitely look into it now, especially since it does the opposite of what I imagined.

PayPal is generally fine for buyers and I use it regularly. When selling the fees can be expensive for the seller, especially with a big ticket item like a car. On the rare occasions when I sell a car on eBay, I always ask for bank transfer or cash, as do many others.

Nigel

I use PayPal for buying worldwide but tend to only sell when it is a sale to another country.  Main reason is the charges applied by PayPal are fairly high (about 4%) but when selling in another country it does offer protection and takes care of any currency conversion so you can get paid in GBP.  I leave some funds in the PayPal account so I do not have lots of back and forth on my bank account but have never had any issue with drawing funds back to the bank (normally instant)

Neil

It is a very useful tool for those who do not wish to give out their security numbers to unknown people. It is safe and is easy to use. I will never give out my details and Moss do not use paypal which usually stops me using Moss. The TR register also does not use paypal and I  pay them by cheque, which is the only cheque that I use in the whole year.

I had to make a credit card payment today and I used telephone banking and paid it in less than two minutes. I remember once in London when it was the last day for a payment to a cc and I had to visit the actual branch of the bank with cash. This involved a tube journey there and back and most of the afternoon. If you wanted a same day payment at Nat west it used  cost £30.00.

Ans then came paypal and telephone banking. Things are improving every day.

Richard & B.

Didn't know that folks didn't use PayPal  !  Or had problems with it.

All very easy and between mates , the Family and friends option saves any charges.

Bacs is also very easy and safe. 

I am happy to say that I haven't had a problem with either , touch wood  !!

Cheers Conrad. 

I did have a rather uncomfortable period of about 3/4 days a couple of years ago,

when I used PayPal to buy some rather expensive go faster goodies for a 60's

US Ford.Having pressed the PAY button for some $3000, something went rather

wrong, and my seller hadn't received the money, but my PP account (and B/card)

showed it had gone thru.I wasn't overly comforted by PayPal, who (a) couldn't

explain what had happened (b) but said it had happened before, and it usually sorted

itself out at the week/month end reconciliation!

Fortunately, 3/4 days later the money did find it's way to the correct destination, but my

great confidence in PayPal up to that moment, was sorely dented.

I still use them of course!

Roger M-E

2 hours ago, foster461 said:

The other benefit if you do a little selling of spare parts is that you have a slush fund that is essentially off the household books.

There is that!  But multiple currencies and getting the money quickly and safely to the seller/service provider is the key for me.  If I sell in another currency I leave it in my Paypal account in that currency so I don't have to pay exchange rates again.

I have used paypal for years. Its great if things go wrong, you raise an issue and the seller has usually a couple of weeks to sort it and if there has been no contact you ask for your money back and to date it has always been successful. I recently had problems with aparts supplier. the parts were 6 weeks overdue. Ringing the supplier was no good as you got a recoded answer telling you to email. No one answered emails. I raised the issue with paypal and got an immediate response from the seller and the parts within 3 days.