Fuel leak from metering control unit

Usual cause is a perforated fuel diaphragm seal , readily available from usual suppliers. Requires

removing metering unit to replace & may require datum track re-setting.

Harvey S. Maitland 

46 minutes ago, HSM said:

Usual cause is a perforated fuel diaphragm seal , readily available from usual suppliers. Requires

Harvey S. Maitland 

Thanks Harvey - will take a look and check it out. 

1 hour ago, John L said:

There is leak hole in the pedestal,  you don't say exactly where its coming from. items here 116 or 103  here  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/engine/engines-components/internal-engine-tr5-6-1967-76.html

John

Thanks John. The leak is coming from the bottom of the control unit as far as I can work out.

adam

4 hours ago, Adam Windsor said:

Can you help advise how I fix a fuel leak from the base of the Lucas control unit attached to the metering unit please?
thank you

adam

Hi Adam,

How old is your M/U? as the seals in there may be not ethanol proof and in my view if it is over 5 to 10  years old its is uneconomic just to replace the 2 seals required as you have not replaced all the others. Best to buy an exchange unit that has all the correct seals for the current levels of ethanol?

Bruce.

54 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Adam,

How old is your M/U? as the seals in there may be not ethanol proof and in my view if it is over 5 to 10  years old its is uneconomic just to replace the 2 seals required as you have not replaced all the others. Best to buy an exchange unit that has all the correct seals for the current levels of ethanol?

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce - it’s almost certainly  8-10 years old . Are exchange units expensive do you know? 
Adam

22 minutes ago, Adam Windsor said:

Thanks Bruce - it’s almost certainly  8-10 years old . Are exchange units expensive do you know? 
Adam

I think the current price is around £250! Is your engine modified i.e. modified head, cam & exhaust manifold-exhaust system? If it is you may need a KMI Sprint M/U?

Bruce.

I would sent it to Neil Ferguson, together with the prv, nylon lines and injectors for service and calibration. He can supply the O-rings for the connections from the lines to the MU too.

I’m not easily impressed but now I was!

Waldi

If you buy another fueling diaphragm  make sure it is made from Viton. I purchased one from the brothers and it lasted less than an hour on Australian high  octane. The problem with non Viton diaphragms is that the elastomer expands and you lose the tight fit needed to seal against the shaft.

11 hours ago, Waldi said:

I would sent it to Neil Ferguson, together with the prv, nylon lines and injectors for service and calibration. He can supply the O-rings for the connections from the lines to the MU too.

I’m not easily impressed but now I was!

Waldi

Thanks Waldi - do you have contact details for Neil F please!

9 hours ago, Mike C said:

If you buy another fueling diaphragm  make sure it is made from Viton. I purchased one from the brothers and it lasted less than an hour on Australian high  octane. The problem with non Viton diaphragms is that the elastomer expands and you lose the tight fit needed to seal against the shaft.

Thanks Mike - I will!

12 hours ago, astontr6 said:

you may need a KMI Sprint M/U?

I've never heard of that Bruce. Does he just calibrate for increased fuelling or are there any modifications do you know?

Cheers, Richard

1 hour ago, Spit_2.5PI said:

I've never heard of that Bruce. Does he just calibrate for increased fuelling or are there any modifications do you know?

Cheers, Richard

Hi Richard,

This has always been the case. KMI years ago were the originators of the Bosch Pump conversion, some of the staff had worked for Lucas- CAV,  including the original owner who has now retired. They also re-con all types of Bosch Injection. They also worked very closely with SAH who were the top Triumph tuners of the 1970's and this is where the Sprint M/U originated from, along with SAH's 357 cam which used this mod and other cam's of there's As I understand the Sprint M/U is a re-calibrated to suit what cam you have fitted. I don't believe that the fuel metering cam is changed? But there are some cams that require that mod. I have a  Newman PH2 cam, very similar to a 357 which required a Sprint M/U as I have other SAH mod's.

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce. My engine builder got the M/U from KMI. I remember him saying he described the build (higher compression, mildly modified head, etc.) and KMI adjusted the fuelling accordingly. It all sounded a bit hit & miss to me, but now I see they're obviously experienced in such things!

Cheers, Richard

On 6/20/2020 at 4:44 PM, HSM said:

Harvey S. Maitland 

Thanks Harvey - pretty certain the diaphragm has failed as there’s plenty of fuel coming out of the control unit housing. Is it possible to replace this without removing the unit?

Adam 

You can remove the metering unit with distributor whilst still leaving the injectors in the throttle bodies ( it is a bit fiddly )

undo the 4 screws to remove the control unit to access the diaphragm for removal ( the centres require pressing

into the new diaphragm ). Take care to set ignition & fuel timing as in the instruction manual when reassembling. 

Harvey S. Maitland

1 hour ago, HSM said:

You can remove the metering unit with distributor whilst still leaving the injectors in the throttle bodies ( it is a bit fiddly )

undo the 4 screws to remove the control unit to access the diaphragm for removal ( the centres require pressing

into the new diaphragm ). Take care to set ignition & fuel timing as in the instruction manual when reassembling. 

Harvey S. Maitland

Thanks Harvey - in the manual it advises to turn the engine over so that pistons 1 & 6 are at TDC with number 1 firing. Do you know how I set this up correctly before removing the MU? Adam 

Any hints or help on checking the MU reassembly here?

https://www.lucasinjection.com/Lucas Mk2 manual page 22 and 23.htm

or here

http://vitessesteve.co.uk/LucasStuff/Lucas_Petrol_Injection_Manuals

and for the visual approach

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT