G/B Filler Plug

I'm looking for a shortcut to re-filling my gearbox with oil.

Before the carpets etc were fitted I accurately measured and cut a hole in the tunnel to access the filler plug, 1" hole with a blanking grommet, easy peasy!

I didn't have the time, patience or inclination to fit the carpets & interior trim myself so I employed the services of someone who does, I asked them to fashion some sort of access through the carpeting to the filler plug, but they seem to have forgot that. The carpet feels too tight to roll back and have a look around and find the blanking grommet and I'd really like to avoid removing the "H" frame etc.

Can anyone offer some measurements/dimensions for where I can cut a small section ( access flap ) in the carpet to where the filler plug is hiding? I'll hold it back together with Velcro or something like that.

Thanks in advance,

Richard.

Richard. 
I made a cut through the carpet vertically aligned with the back of the h frame.  That way the cut is hidden from view by the h frame.  You can then peel back the carpet to get to the filler plug.  On my car, the filler plug is slightly further than 6” from the back of the h frame.

cheers

dave

You could jack the car up find you grommet from the underside get it out with a screwdriver, then push your finger through the hole and have someone in the car to mark the carpet where you finger is pushing against the carpet, my carpet is loose around the hole and it is a 3” grommet (also tr4a ) you’re 1” grommet may be a bit small.

Mike Redrose group 

I agree with Mike.  A 1" hole won't allow you to see get an 8 point socket (you'll need that for the square plug) and extension onto the plug let alone get it back into place. With a 3" floor grommet in there it's a breeze once you've sorted out the carpet.  I just lift up the tunnel section of my carpet and there it is.

7 hours ago, peejay4A said:

I agree with Mike.  A 1" hole won't allow you to see get an 8 point socket (you'll need that for the square plug) and extension onto the plug let alone get it back into place. With a 3" floor grommet in there it's a breeze once you've sorted out the carpet.  I just lift up the tunnel section of my carpet and there it is.

Thanks for the advice guys, though the 1" hole is fine. I ran around in the car for over a year without carpets, it was easy enough to check & top up the gearbox oil, a PO also welded a nut on the square plug to make things easier.

I'll try Dave's idea.

Thanks again,

Richard.

Hi Richard

From under the car You can remove the filler-plug from the side of the GB. Then use an oilcan with a pump and a piece og hose to fill up the gearbox (and OD).

That works very well for me.

Regards

Tage

Edited by 15eren
3 hours ago, 15eren said:

Hi Richard

From under the car You can remove the filler-plug from the side of the GB. Then use an oilcan with a pump and a piece og hose to fill up the gearbox (and OD).

That works very well for me.

Regards

Tage

I've got  a tunnel access plug but I generally check the G/B oil from underneath  because I'm under the car every 6 months or so anyway having a look around. Saves removing/replacing the kidney pad, carpet and tunnel plug.

The downside with checking from underneath is that, unless you have a hoist, you have to drop the car back to level to ensure the GB is not overfilled, then jack it back up to replace the G/B plug.

52 minutes ago, Mike C said:

The downside with checking from underneath is that, unless you have a hoist, you have to drop the car back to level to ensure the GB is not overfilled, then jack it back up to replace the G/B plug.

Not if you use jack stands and raise the car evenly to begin with. I use a can like this (not this make or supplier) to top up the GB from underneath. Works well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-TP05-500ml-Metal-Flexible/dp/B00S6BUDPC/ref=pd_lpo_60_img_0/260-9888668-4865932?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00S6BUDPC&pd_rd_r=f0567d49-d9d3-4e9b-ac37-6af4864a34e2&pd_rd_w=s0s47&pd_rd_wg=kvnil&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=AF6NFK3JPNW7GH2HATAZ&psc=1&refRID=AF6NFK3JPNW7GH2HATAZ

10 hours ago, SeanF said:

I use an old Macnaught suction gun I've had since I was a teenager in the 1960's. Just had to make a 90 degree bend for the end out of copper pipe- to fit between the gearbox filler and the tunnel.

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

While removing the filler plug a couple of weeks ago the weld holding the nut to the plug gave way, I eventually managed to remove what was left of the plug and I'm now re-filling with oil. I drained the g/b & overdrive completely to begin with, but I've only managed to get approx. 1lt back in before the oil spills back out again.

My question is this, the g/b & overdrive require 2lt of oil, would it be safe for me to run the engine with what I reckon is only 1lt of oil, then re-check oil level after about 10 minutes running at idle?

Richard.

Hi Richard,

you may need to look at the level 3 or 4 times with whatever method you use before you are happy.

Running it with no load and a low oil level shouldn't do any harm. You probably only need a couple of minutes per filling cycle.

Roger

22 minutes ago, Richard71 said:

Update.

While removing the filler plug a couple of weeks ago the weld holding the nut to the plug gave way, I eventually managed to remove what was left of the plug and I'm now re-filling with oil. I drained the g/b & overdrive completely to begin with, but I've only managed to get approx. 1lt back in before the oil spills back out again.

My question is this, the g/b & overdrive require 2lt of oil, would it be safe for me to run the engine with what I reckon is only 1lt of oil, then re-check oil level after about 10 minutes running at idle?

Richard.

The important thing is that the level is checked with the car level. I overfill mine with the front on stands, leave the plug out, lower it over   an engine oil drain tray until the excess oil stops running out then jack it back up and replace the filler plug.

As above. 
it takes a while for the oil to find its way into the od. Thus several checks am pm then next day should do it.

19 hours ago, Hamish said:

As above. 
it takes a while for the oil to find its way into the od. Thus several checks am pm then next day should do it.

I see what you mean Hamish, you & the other fellas. Got back to the car half an hour ago and the g/b took another 200ml without any overspill. If not this evening then tomorrow morning and afternoon I'll repeat the exercise. I reckon there's between 1.1lt & 1.3lt in the box now.

Thanks all!

2 hours ago, Richard71 said:

I see what you mean Hamish, you & the other fellas. Got back to the car half an hour ago and the g/b took another 200ml without any overspill. If not this evening then tomorrow morning and afternoon I'll repeat the exercise. I reckon there's between 1.1lt & 1.3lt in the box now.

Thanks all!

You do need to run it and use the overdrive to get it to fill properly.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

You do need to run it and use the overdrive to get it to fill properly.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I'll keep using the methods advised above, should be ready for a run by the weekend (after other jobs are carried out), let it settle and top up as necessary.

Richard.