Brake pedal return spring

I'm just investigating an issue where my brake pedal has stopped returning 'up' properly when released and my first thought was pedal return spring. However my car  (1962 TR4, originally a US export but converted to RHD in 1980s) doesn't seem to have a spring either on brake or clutch, or an obvious way of fitting one despite they are shown in the parts diagrams.

In fact I can see no way of fitting a spring. There is an eye on the underside of the pedal box cover but I can't see any hole in the pedal for the other end of a spring:

image.png.3509baf9d4751df6588205cc87b0be6a.png

The clutch pedal returns quite happily under hydraulic pressure when released. The brake pedal used to and I realise that it might have gone funny for a lot of reasons rather than a lack of a spring. But any tips on any of  this? Do other people's early TR4s have a spring or not?

Thanks, Nigel

Just had a look inside my RHD TR4.

Yes, that eye is for the spring, and there should be another on the left for the clutch.

There's a return spring for each pedal.  Spring hooks into hole in the pedal, not far down from the fulcrum.

Can be seen in Workshop Manual Plate W.  Springs are both W13, Part number 57950.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc

Thanks Pete and Ian. I need to get my head back down in the footwell tomorrow and see if I can see a hole high up on the pedal then. I couldn't find one this morning but maybe I missed it or as Pete said maybe it's been filled in. It must be pretty high up the pedal as you say Ian or it would foul the throttle linkage dog-leg.

Oddly it's never before need a spring to get pedal return in the three years I've had the car, it just started recently. Maybe the return spring in the master cylinder has weakened.

(Although it's a late 62 car it has had the earlier 0.75in MC put on - only a single rather than double ring on the MC casting? And having junked the servo that the PO put on, the brakes are very short travel, firm and progressive - lovely.)

Thanks again chaps.

Nigel

See your photo - the springs sit above the throttle mechanism (running horizontally across), so are close to the fulcrum, as can be seen in the WSM.

The holes should be there, but you might have to push the throttle to the floor in order to spot them.

By the look of it, getting the end of the spring into the pedal could be challenging!

Ian Cornish

Nigel,

If you look at your picture there appears to be a “pimple” on the right hand side of your brake pedal. I have looked at my pedal and the spring hole appears to be where your pimple is.

Graham

Found the hole in the pedal! (On the left hand face, right up flush with the underside of the cover assembly.) I'll get a spring and see if that improves things. I suspect on a lot of cars over the years the clutch and/or brake pedal springs have been discarded, I've found a couple of forum threads that suggest that.

The after that, off to the opticians for a better pair of vari-focals!

Thanks again all.

Nigel