Riccardo Patrese

It’s been a few years since this was last posted. Still makes me laugh though.

Riccardo Patrese takes his wife for a leisurely tour of the Jerez circuit in a Honda Civic Type-R.

(Funny, my partner sometimes has a similar response in the TR :D!).

Cheers, Deggers

Brilliant Deggers thanks..... Not exactly the same but reminded me of a similar lovely memory, years and years ago I was working on a multi-millionaire big yacht in the Med when my Mum and Dad came down to visit, if any of you know the bay of St Tropez it is stunning as the sun goes down...... All dressed up for dinner but on a whim thought I would give them a run out in the Riva tender from Port Grimaud across to St Tropez (‘Riva’ are Italian boat equivalent of Ferrari and some say Rolls Royce) ... We skipped across the waves at 60+ mph, my Dad (ex RN war hero) stoically hung on. However, it terrified my Mum,  - she had the longest hair of anyone I ever knew, normally immaculately done up in a bun but now streaming straight out behind.

Special treat ended with her pleading with me to let her off and get the bus back.. when I explained no buses in St Tropez she said she would walk.. my explanation that the walk would take hours back round the bay.... we ended up with me skimming across the waves rather than banging in at a somewhat reduced velocity...

On a final note, not that long after, I named my first big yacht after her, the Josephine C, beautiful (but slow) Gaff rigged Cutter; much more to her liking....

Port Grimaud the surrounding area it is beautiful my favourite place in the south of France the colourful properties, and the delightful harbour we first went there, in 1982, the moules, and the lobsters, the lobster bisque with french bread and the hot red sauce. We went to a restaurant, It was near Cavalaire it was our Wedding anniversary, we were outside amongst trees all lit up, the maitre De’ wore a long flowing dress  and violinist came to the table. The whole Week was an experience we drove down after a friends wedding, thanks Tony for bringing back those memories, and thanks Dregger for posting the video, very good. fortunately my wife enjoyed our trip down and had no problem with speed, we left France and drove straight to Hamburg in a day to meet up with her sister.  Sorry if I’ve gone off track.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:49 AM, Tony_C said:

. . . thought I would give them a run out in the Riva tender from Port Grimaud across to St Tropez

Always admired Rivas, great looking boats.

My parents are both keen sailors (although they're taking things a little calmer now they’re in their ‘70s). I remember some of their American friends having classic mahogany speedboats when I was younger. The Gar Wood runabouts of the ‘40s were I think particularly attractive, as well as Hacker-Craft and the Chris-Craft barrel backs. Beautiful boats, and a whole lot of fun on the right water!

GarW1.thumb.jpg.cc07fc28d9710e7531cad15bfc7d8bb5.jpg

Cheers, Deggers

Edited by Deggers

They are proper Boats, reminding me of the days when I worked at Andrews Boathouses as a teenager. Andrews being the designer and builder of the Thames Slipper Launches. 

image.png.9d035981e53cb0b78813b2a8118193e3.png

Edited by iain

Just love Slipper Launches - the way they glide through the water with barely a ripple - the wood planking - beautiful.

Cheers, Richard

I really enjoyed my weekend and holiday work on these beautiful boats for about 4 years.

If you love wooden boats with style, have a look at this site. Just very special, going upstream to Peter Freebody was always a treat!

https://www.peterfreebody.com/freebody-slipper.php

John Andrews would be proud of his legacy.

Iain

Edited by iain
5 hours ago, iain said:

They are proper Boats, reminding me of the days when I worked at Andrews Boathouses as a teenager. Andrews being the designer and builder of the Thames Slipper Launches. 

image.png.9d035981e53cb0b78813b2a8118193e3.png

I'm sure I remember when these were avilable to rent by the hour (or, at least, the day) in Henley when I was a kid on a summer holiday day-trip.

Would love to have one now.

1 minute ago, Hamish said:

Have a look here for some lovely period boats

https://www.peterfreebody.com/brokerage.php

Including this sleek 50 footer

8735DFFE-9A7F-47CB-B1E4-FC8346BC0F51.jpeg

Two of these 50 footers were built in the War years, both had double engine hatches at the front, both allegedly carried a machine gun mounted in the forward hatch position.

3 hours ago, TorontoTim said:

I'm sure I remember when these were avilable to rent by the hour (or, at least, the day) in Henley when I was a kid on a summer holiday day-trip.

Weren't there some at Richmond Bridge too until about 1960?

Pete