Speed and acceleration

Not having driven any other standard TR4A I wonder how they should accelerate and cruise. I have a 2.1 65 car and whilst it picks up well and cruises well what would you compare it to as a modern equivalent if that makes sense? I see a lot of cars that are race prepared and I wonder how quick they actually travel? I guess it's difficult to answer but thought I would ask anyway.

Jase

you can check out YouTube for some runs in various new and old cars.
my 3a is only mildly tuned at 116bhp at flywheel so mid 90’s at the wheels 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrXjQt8CiQNaGDrjhmPLqMA

it’s no MX5 but it’s fun. 

Compared to a 1965 typical car the 4A was quite sporty in both top speed and acceleration. 

Most dedicated sports cars were a bit more spritely.

Compared to anything from 2000 onwards it is not earth shattering. However put a standard tune 4A on a country lane and it is far from mundane.

It will easily keep up with motorway traffic. It will excel on country lanes. And the grin factor far outweighs anything that a Eurobox can generate

Breathe on the engine slightly and then things start to happen

Roger 

Edited by RogerH

As I remember 0-60 times for a standard TR4 cylinder was around 10 sec area, but more than that the mid range torque meant the car was very spritely in and around traffic especially in the 30-60mph area where if an overdrive was used on 3rd overtaking traffic amongst other road cars on A or B roads was great fun. 

As you may imagine nearly 60 years of development for standard new cars means much of the original zest has been eroded but the 4 cylinder TR still delivers a satisfying drive, offering the driver an "involved" feel where it reacts to the driver input...but only if the driver knows what he wants. ie just planting the right foot in a modern offers almost seamless acceleration wherebye the older car needs to be kept within it's range of operation for best results.  Is there really nobody close to you in the TR Register that could offer you a run out so you could at least sit in the passenger seat whilst it was excercised ?

Mick Richards

Thanks for the input everyone, to add I am loving the car but not having driven a classic for a while you forget about the differences. I haven't driven my Spitfire since 97 and they all seem to be coming together at the same time. The TR feels solid (love the IRS) and very mechanical and the Spitifre (and I thought I you could never say this about a Spitfire) feels almost luxurious in comparison (late 1500). You are right about A roads etc and it has no problem with keeping up with modern traffic. As soon as Covid is sorted (fingers crossed) I'm hoping to attend the local TR meetings. Guess we've all been spoilt and a little switched off by today's cars.