I know that mirrors have been discussed at length but I am looking for some guidance / recommendations on direct swaps to avoid me having to drill new holes. 

My 6 is currently fitted with Moss bullet mirrors https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/door-mirror-bullet-racing-style-flat-chrome-gam105.html that have a 2 inch hole spacing.  And they offer me no rearward visibility whatsoever and so I finally want to swap them out. 

Any recommendations for mirrors that have 2 inch hole spacing?

Thanks 

Cannot you get mirrors from the same manufacturer, but not flat? 

if so, just keep the housing and change the mirror, which is what I have done.

Ian Cornish

31 minutes ago, ianc said:

Cannot you get mirrors from the same manufacturer, but not flat? 

if so, just keep the housing and change the mirror, which is what I have done.

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian 

Are you saying you swapped the flat glass for convex glass?  If so, where did you get that from because I don;t see that as an option?

Hawk 

I have got bullet mirrors on my Herald and with flat glass they were useless but when I swapped to convex there was a marked improvement in visibility ( still far from perfect but I would would say they went from a 1 out of 10 to a 5) I got mine from 

Classic Car Accessories
1. Ballycreen
Off Manchester Road
Castleton, Greater Manchester
OL11 3JP
United Kingdom

Just checked and in 2012 they cost the princely sum of £1:90 each 

They still have replacement mirrors list on their website  - so well worth a try before investing in a different type of mirror.

https://www.classic-car-accessories.co.uk/acatalog/EXTERIOR_MIRRORS-p3.html

Andrew

4 hours ago, Hawk said:

I know that mirrors have been discussed at length but I am looking for some guidance / recommendations on direct swaps to avoid me having to drill new holes. 

My 6 is currently fitted with Moss bullet mirrors https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/door-mirror-bullet-racing-style-flat-chrome-gam105.html that have a 2 inch hole spacing.  And they offer me no rearward visibility whatsoever and so I finally want to swap them out. 

Any recommendations for mirrors that have 2 inch hole spacing?

Thanks 

Hi

I had the same problem and eventually decided to replace them.

Holden do a selection of mirrors the ones I have got are Ital style - I had to drill one extra hole per door but the casting covers all the holes.

Regards

John

2 hours ago, ANFRUSSELL said:

Hawk 

I have got bullet mirrors on my Herald and with flat glass they were useless but when I swapped to convex there was a marked improvement in visibility ( still far from perfect but I would would say they went from a 1 out of 10 to a 5) I got mine from 

Classic Car Accessories
1. Ballycreen
Off Manchester Road
Castleton, Greater Manchester
OL11 3JP
United Kingdom

Just checked and in 2012 they cost the princely sum of £1:90 each 

They still have replacement mirrors list on their website  - so well worth a try before investing in a different type of mirror.

https://www.classic-car-accessories.co.uk/acatalog/EXTERIOR_MIRRORS-p3.html

Andrew

Thanks for this but unfortunately they only seem to sell 94mm diameter glass and mine are 89mm (3.5 inches)

Edited by Hawk

My mirrors are 10 cm diameter, flat on right, convex on left (RHD car).

When, about 25 years ago, I changed the mirror on the left, I took the easy way and bought another complete assembly, then swapped the glass part.

Beware getting a convex mirror that has too great a curve as the images seen by the driver (sitting on right) will shrink so much that it makes it very difficult to judge the actual position of vehicles on the inside left.

Ian Cornish

Hi John

I have found Holden mirrors web site were you referring to the ital 467 mirror, it looks ok and not a bad price is there enough adjustment to make the nearside usable as that is the main problem with the bullet mirrors which won't turn in far enough?

Phil..

Some careful work with a file will permit the lefthand mirror in the bullet housing to turn further, so that it works for the driver.  That's what I did.

Thanks to Andrew, I have ordered a 100mm convex mirror from phoenixwingmirrors - will report once it has arrived and I have fitted it.

Ian Cornish

55 minutes ago, lynchpin said:

Hi John

I have found Holden mirrors web site were you referring to the ital 467 mirror, it looks ok and not a bad price is there enough adjustment to make the nearside usable as that is the main problem with the bullet mirrors which won't turn in far enough?

Phil..

Hi Phil

Yes they have enough adjustment and I can now see as well as any modern on both sides.

If you go on their website they give all the dimensions

Regards

John

100mm diameter convex mirror arrived today and, when I dismantled the assembly, I realised that the actual mirror inside the housing needs to be 92mm, so have ordered this size and latest email from vendor says it's on its way.

Ian Cornish

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.  I ordered convex mirrors from Phoenix Wing Mirrors and they arrived the next day.  

I can now adjust the drivers side so that I can simply flick my eyes at the mirror and see what is behind me.  This is an improvement of 0/10 to 7/10.

Nearside is different and there simply isn't enough adjustment in the bullet mirrors to have a good view of the road behind.  I can get a view if I lean over a bit which is not ideal but better than it was ... 0/10 to 2/10.  

Overall, well worth the spend and is good enough for me to remove the need to change mirrors as I really like the look.  

Hi All

I have just fitted the Holden Ital 467 mirrors that I ordered they did cover up the holes from the bullet mirrors (just) and look good quality, the nearside mirror does turn in far enough to be able to see satisfactorily.

Cheers Phil..