Steering wheel screws

There are three screws which retain the centre horn push/indicator assembly on the standard non adjustable steering column. 

It appears that the main suppliers don't stock these screws. 

Can anyone advise where I could obtain them? One is missing and so the centre assembly is always working loose.

These are the small slotted screws not the two grub screws that lock the steering boss.

Thanks

Rob

I bought a few new ones from Moss. Part No 059107

Edited by John McCormack

20200618_124711.thumb.jpg.d669b5ac5f43b2c27bb12decf199ff6a.jpg

Hi Rob.

The grub screw, & the one next to it are 2BA, The smaller countersunk one is 4BA

You can have which ever one of these you need, I have plenty of BA screws !

Bob.

Bob

It looks like the one on the right is what I need. 

If you have a few of these, could I have three as the heads on the two shown are a bit chewed up.

If OK PM me your address and I'll cover the cost and postage.

Thanks again Bob

Rob

3 hours ago, RobTR3 said:

There are three screws which retain the centre horn push/indicator assembly on the standard non adjustable steering column. 

It appears that the main suppliers don't stock these screws. 

Can anyone advise where I could obtain them? One is missing and so the centre assembly is always working loose.

These are the small slotted screws not the two grub screws that lock the steering boss.

Thanks

Rob

Confused now ! The one on the right is a grub screw, and is the Moss item mentioned above. I don't know where the two other grub screws are ?

Apologies Bob. 

The reason I said the R/H one is that's the shape of current screw I have, it does not have a countersunk head. It is a grub screw with a slotted head, smaller than the two larger grub screws on the steering wheel which take an Allen key. 

However, it looks like what I need is the L/H screw with the countersunk head. It maybe that is the correct type anyway and what I have is the wrong type, but the right thread.

If the above is correct do you have 3 of the L/H one? 

Rob

Mine are three of the grub-screws Rob. I think they have to be to go deep enough into the hub to clamp the plate. If the screw have heads they might bottom out too soon and the fit is probably too variable to have them the exact length.  

Hi Rob,

I know very little about Side Screen cars and maybe got the wrong part in mind, however I have repaired one Control Head and found the horn push was clamped to the base by three slotted pan head setscrews which also had locking washers.

I cannot actually see how slotted grub screws would clamp the parts together...?

Am I looking at the wrong part...?

Regards, Richard

2.jpg

4.jpg

No not those bits Richard - we may all be talking about different parts but I thought RobTR3 was meaning the screws which come in from the side of the hub to clamp the metal plate which is at the rear of the control head (which is supposed to rotate with the wheel while the head itself stays stationary). Those are the ones which hold the head assembly into the hub. 

Edited by RobH

No not those bits Richard - we may all be talking about different parts but I thought Rob was meaning the screws which come in from the side of the hub to clamp the metal plate which is at the rear of the control head (which is supposed to rotate with the wheel while the head itself stays stationary). 

Yes that's right Rob. 

So looks as if I've got the right ones, just one short but could do with 3 new ones - re my reply to Bob. 

Your right about the length etc, they need to make contact with the plate to lock, so probably a countersunk screw would not work as it would bottom out.

Just need to know the thread size and I can probably buy them on-line if Bob hasn't any

Rob

I think the origonal grub screws had a slotted head  which over time snap off.

I got replacements from Revington TR with an Allen key head these gave a more positive fixing and have worked well for a few years now.

Ewan 

Ok I know which ones you need now.

I don,t have any new ones, I made my current ones from some M5 stainless screws which I cut down, turned a taper on one end, & cut a slot in the other. You are probably best off buying the Moss ones mentioned above part No. 059107

I still don't know where the 2 off "larger grub screws" are !

Bob

I still don't know where the 2 off "larger grub screws" are !

Bob

Bob

The grub screw(s) are here in the photo - one each side. A bigger diameter than the 'horn push' i.e. 059107 screws.

Having checked again with Moss etc re part number 059107, I can see these are the ones I need and are available.

Sorry if I've  caused confusion.

RobIMG_20200618_191346_LI.thumb.jpg.aa70e3e95d9234c061fc3e1ea921d215.jpg

Those are not standard - at least there are none on my car and I've not seen them before on others.  It looks as though they must grip the spline - but why?

Those are not standard - at least there are none on my car and I've not seen them before on others.  It looks as though they must grip the spline - but why?

Rob

I couldn't see them on the Moss diagrams either, but thought nothing of it! I always thought they were to give extra grip/lock on the splines. I had no idea they were non-standard.

Rob

Possibly a previous owner installed a self cancelling mechanism for a stalk type of indicator switch from a Mini or Morris Minor?

The screw heads would operate the cancel levers on the replacement switch.

Peter W

The two levers connected by a spring are the self cancel mechanism

image.png.f5f57d40b8e500a992e12afcb14fa67d.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT