Well at 1292 nearly the last Doretti officially built. Ken Yankey's Doretti website shows the last one to be 1294 and there was presumably a 1293 then there was several, possibly as many as 12  post production cars built up from parts, a part finished car taken off the production line after production had ceased and built up for one of the director's daughters (1425!), 2 mark 2s and one development car with elements of both the mark 1 and mark 2. Whatever the chassis number it is still a great looking car and a meticulous restoration.

Cheers Richard

• 6 months later...
On 6/17/2020 at 6:00 PM, Dic Doretti said:

Well at 1292 nearly the last Doretti officially built. Ken Yankey's Doretti website shows the last one to be 1294 and there was presumably a 1293 then there was several, possibly as many as 12  post production cars built up from parts, a part finished car taken off the production line after production had ceased and built up for one of the director's daughters (1425!), 2 mark 2s and one development car with elements of both the mark 1 and mark 2. Whatever the chassis number it is still a great looking car and a meticulous restoration.

Cheers Richard

On 6/17/2020 at 6:00 PM, Dic Doretti said:

Cheers Richard

I own 1293 I found it in Connecticut where it resided fo quite a long time. I initially was sent pics of it in a vacant lot and tried to find an owner. It was picked up by another Doretti owner who just by chance drive by it. It is not in very good shape but the body panels are sound and straight

Tom

3 minutes ago, trhouse said:

I own 1293 I found it in Connecticut where it resided fo quite a long time. I initially was sent pics of it in a vacant lot and tried to find an owner. It was picked up by another Doretti owner who just by chance drive by it. It is not in very good shape but the body panels are sound and straight

Tom

1294 is an after production car.

1294 was built by Walcliffe Motors of North Road, Lancaster and first registered as YTS 286J, which dates from October 1970. In August 1993 the  car was "discovered" in a garage where it had been stored for around 20 years awaiting restoration. On completion of the restoration in 1998, the DVLA re-registered the car with the age-related number KSJ 153.

doretti,

"Walcliffe Motors of North Road, Lancaster"?     I've lived in Lancaster for forty years, and owned Triumphs for nealry as long - I never knew that Dorettis were built in the town!     Swallow Sidecars started in Blackpool, but with success moved to Coventry,becomeing SS Cars and ultimatley, Jaguar.    Did Walcliffe Motors buy the parts of an uncompleted car when  production ceased?

North Road has changed a lot since then, and I can only guess where a garage and workshop might have been.     Can you say?  Perhaps a number, please?     A Google search finds only references to "Walcliffes" in US and Oz.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Swallow are believed to have sold around 12 parcels of parts of varying completeness which could be built into cars and 1294 could be one of these, so the only one built by Walcliffe Motors. When another kit was completed the constructor approached Swallow about it and was refused permission to call it a Swallow. I have owned one and I know of another under restoration also Triumph used one for development purposes originally registered BOB 123. Ken may know of more of these post production cars which may include the Devon barn find of a few years ago. The factory sold the remaining parts to Monkspath Garage in Birmingham who continued to sell them for a number of years and turned one chassis into a kit car of their own manufacture. 

Cheers

Richard