Well that was annoying

Was going to take the TR6 out this morning, dropped the roof, donned the sunglasses, wound the windows down, turned the key............and nothing! Totally flat battery, not even the interior lights came on. Was fine 6 days ago, and has been since November when I bought the car. The car was restored 3 years ago by previous owner after 10 years collecting dust/rust so assume the battery is 3 years old? Have checked, and nothing has been left on, so battery on charge and wait and see.

Are you sure the battery is flat rather than a bad connection somewhere Chris?  It's rather unlikely that a battery will have discharged itself to that extent in such a short time without something external being left switched on.  If it really was flat then an investigation is called for into why that should be, as it might indicate a problem with the electrical system. 

In most cases this problem is due to something having been left on. If the is still a problem I'd check the current flow with everything switched off using the 20A current port of a multimeter between the +ve battery lead and the +ve battery terminal. Should be very close to zero.

Chris, you will need to keep a check on the battery after re-charge , as it can cause damage to let a battery run right down . As Rob and Mike say there is likely a problem within system to cause it.

Paul

Years ago my batterywent flat at Heathrow, the AA recovery guy who came to bump start me was adamant that cars parked near airports lost their charge quicker than all others, ie that he was always coming out to the airport for flat batteries and often to new cars . . still wondering if he thought it true or it was a wind up!!

People in a rush to unload their luggage, stressed by the upcoming hassles of check in may well mean that when people park in the well lit airport car park they forget to turn off all the lights. Headlights may have buzzers but parking lights don’t.

Return to a totally flat battery.

17 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Years ago my batterywent flat at Heathrow, the AA recovery guy who came to bump start me was adamant that cars parked near airports lost their charge quicker than all others, ie that he was always coming out to the airport for flat batteries and often to new cars . . still wondering if he thought it true or it was a wind up!!

Above post not edited by me , finger trouble.:ph34r:

Have to agree with the AA man, modern vehicles, especially the high end ones will flatten their batteries within a few weeks if not driven, this has happened to my son's car several times on new batteries.

Chris. I have had the same problem with my 6 it did turn out to be a faulty battery which would charge ok but then discharge again when not in use, new battery sorted the problem.

Brian

I had a poor connection to the starter solenoid that would give that symptom, ocassionally not everytime. A thump with a stick was a temporary cure

Peter

Eureka moment I hope! Started her up after charging up the battery but still dumbfounded why it went totally flat in six’s days. The car was in the garage, no lights on in the garage and it was overcast and fairly dark. Was just sitting in the driving seat warming the engine up nicely, when out of the corner of my eye in the dim light I saw light coming out of the gaps around the glove box! Seems I have a sticky switch and guessing the light over six days must have been stuck on. Now sorted.........I hope!

I have left an interior light on in the truck when parked at the airport. It flattened the battery even when on for just a few days. Probably not uncommon when people are futzing around making sure they have taken all the stuff they need like dash mount for the phone, cables, parking ticket etc. The airports here are so used to this they have a portable battery rig that they will wheel to your car and jump start it. My wife's Escape has so much active electronics running 24x7 that I have to drive it every couple of weeks or that battery will die and reset every frigging thing.

Stan

On 6/22/2020 at 7:12 PM, Sill Gap Problem said:

Hi Chris, returning to a flat battery is a worry for anybody. I have a simple battery disconnect which I always activate before I leave the car, helps with security too.

I usually disconnect my battery with a quick release on the terminal, but I'd like to fit a switch in the cockpit. You got any more info or pictures about how to go about it? 

Gareth

5 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

I usually disconnect my battery with a quick release on the terminal, but I'd like to fit a switch in the cockpit. You got any more info or pictures about how to go about it? 

Gareth

+1. Also interested in doing this

5 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Gareth

Gareth, it’s the same device as yours at the battery, a pain but avoids battery drain and adds a layer of security, albeit a small one.

Looks like we'll have to come up with something ourselves Sean, I'd like the convenience of not lifting the bonnet each time I want to disconnect the power. 

I suppose it shouldn't be too difficult, get one of those switches with the red key and bring some heavy cable through the bulkhead, although my quick release is on the positive side, I favour bringing a new earth side through, just seems safer. 

Gareth

I think I have seen a picture some time ago on this forum of a switch installed to the bulkhead with only the red key in the compartment. Seems like a good solution.

Waldi

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

I think I have seen a picture some time ago on this forum of a switch installed to the bulkhead with only the red key in the compartment. Seems like a good solution.

Waldi

Actually that would make it a lot easier than bringing cable through as well, I'll have to get a switch and see where it could go. 

Cheers

Gareth

The problem with disconnecting the battery is that doing so disconnects radios (loose program etc), alarms and trackers.

All these things are also what sends the battery flat.  Batteries seem to last longer if kept fully chaged.

The alternative solution is to drive the car more often and use a smart charger over the winter when using it will be less frequent.

On 6/23/2020 at 4:12 AM, Sill Gap Problem said:

Hi Chris, returning to a flat battery is a worry for anybody. I have a simple battery disconnect which I always activate before I leave the car, helps with security too.

I disconnect the battery with a simple disconnect switch and clip on a battery  charger & timer whenever I leave the car for more than a week or so - alone in its garage 100 miles from here. I was leaving the battery switched on until I saw the photo's of older looms that self ignited on this forum and elsewhere recently.

On 6/24/2020 at 10:19 PM, Mk2 Chopper said:

Looks like we'll have to come up with something ourselves Sean, I'd like the convenience of not lifting the bonnet each time I want to disconnect the power. 

I suppose it shouldn't be too difficult, get one of those switches with the red key and bring some heavy cable through the bulkhead, although my quick release is on the positive side, I favour bringing a new earth side through, just seems safer. 

Gareth

Gents, if you do come up with a solution, please post as this is something that afflicts many.

9 minutes ago, Sill Gap Problem said:

Gents, if you do come up with a solution, please post as this is something that afflicts many.

I'm working on it, I've ordered the switch, then I'll see where I can fit it and work out cable length, will report back.

Gareth

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 8:07 AM, Mk2 Chopper said:

I'm working on it, I've ordered the switch, then I'll see where I can fit it and work out cable length, will report back.

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Have you worked out where you might fit it? I had a look at mine yesterday and couldn't get my head around where would be a good place to put it.

Sean

59 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Hi Gareth,

Have you worked out where you might fit it? I had a look at mine yesterday and couldn't get my head around where would be a good place to put it.

Sean

Hi Sean, 

The switch arrived today. The place I think it will fit best is the area adjacent to the battery near the earth, on the side of the raised plinth where the wiper motor sits. That way the cable runs are short, the key being accessible from the passengers side (should be reachable from the drivers position).

Now I have the switch I can see if that will work. 

Gareth