Aged brake and master cylinder seals

Hi,

I've just bought a 1955 TR2 that was fully restored in 1996/7 and hasn't been run since. It had new brake cylinder seals, a recon Lockheed master cylinder, and silicone brake fluid. But that was some 24 years ago.

So my question is, do seals deteriorate with time and no use? Should I replace them all as a matter of course? My gut feeling says yes, but if there is a good pedal and no leaks maybe it's a case of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

Thanks

If its been parked for that long your going to have to go through every bit of rubber on the whole car I would have said.

Stuart.

Congratulations with the new joy.

+1 for Stuarts advice (always follow that:D)

I would do a major maintenance/cleaning / checking on the entire car. On the brake system replace all seals, hoses, and inspect bores. Be careful with friction material, if old  it may contain asbestos.
This will increase confidence, make you familiar with the car and reduce issues.

Waldi

Hey Brian,

This situation - storage with limited/no use is exactly what DOT5.0 was intended for. So I suggest you get some more fluid and bleed the hydraulics...if the bled fluid is clear then that implies that all remains good and nothing has degraded...if bleeding is difficult or you get blackish lumpy stuff bled out then, despite the 'inertness' of the DOT5.0, the rubber seals have degraded and its time for a re-seal all round.

Thanks all, I'll try bleeding first. I will of course be checking/inspecting everything on the car, particularly rubber bits. The tyres are unused but 24 years old so will have to go! It looks like the fuel supply pipework is all metal so one less task.

Each to it’s own, that’s fine. But do check the rubber hoses, they can swell and block the lines, normally resulting in one wheel brake not releasing. Just my 2cts.
Sometimes a bulge on the OD can be seen.

Cheers,

Waldi

15 hours ago, ctc77965o said:

storage with limited/no use is exactly what DOT5.0 was intended for.

Brian,

That may well be so, but they also said that the Titanic was intended to be unsinkable.

I’m one of the biggest cheapskates on this forum but no way would I trust something that is so important to safety as the brakes just because the books say that a system using DOT 5.0 can last forever with no deterioration.

Remember that the TR2 has a single brake circuit. One fault and you can loose the brakes on all 4 wheels.

For the sake of less than £100 you could replace all the hoses and all the seals.

The fact that the pistons (master and slave) have been sitting in one place for all that time would concern me.

Just my opinion.

Charlie.

Hi 

Bought my 62 TR4 in 2007 it had been rebuilt 10yrs previous and although serviced and mot every year it had done little mileage being bought as an investment, we checked everything over and 4 months later took it to 24hr Le Mans, the seals in the servo failed and lost all the brakes on the Maulsane straight, (not racing). We got it home by by-passing the servo, at home we went through all the seals on brake and clutch systems, I would advise you to do the same..

Cheers Phil..

• 1 month later...

So common sense prevailed and I bought a complete set of seals/cylinders. Now I'm stuck on a couple of other jobs I thought I'd start with the master cylinder.

Reading the manual, it says to blow out various seals with an airline. Is this the only way of doing it? (I don't have an airline)

Thanks, Brian

18 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

If you have either M/C full of fluid, you can knock up a slave pipe, to the other and use pedal pressure.

John.

John, this is a Lockheed m/c so has a common reservoir for both brakes and clutch

Stuart & Charlie are on the ball.

Your life depends upon being able to stop when you press the brake pedal.

The expense involved in renewing the rubber brake parts is peanuts really - why take the chance of killing yourself and others?

Ian Cornish

You could take it to a tank station, they have an air compressor.

Fitting a grease gun to the bottom connection can give very high pressure (with grease), even a hand gun can do several 100’s of bars, iirc.

Waldi