Can someone confirm if seats on an early TR2 are handed i.e. left and right hand ones. If so what are the things to identify which is which.?

The reason I ask is that the seat covers are marked left and right.

I can not for the life of me see any differences but I remain to be convinced.

Rod

My TR2 seats were handed and I think they all were. The passenger seat folds while the driver's did not. Also, I believe the driver's seat is angled slightly toward the centreline of the car but this is (or should be) the position of the floor fixing bolt holes and not the seat.  I fitted a folding one to the diver's side too as it helps with touring baggage which is why I can't think why either would affect the trim...but...

Depends what you mean by handed, I suppose. The seats on my post 60000 3A are certainly directly interchangeable as I merely swopped them over - but not the frames - when I converted to LHD many years ago. The passenger seat being the folding one, ‘traditionally’, whether LHD or RHD.

In terms of safety, I am not convinced about having the driver’s seat folding as well. The frames are fragile by todays standard of course, and the hinge on the passenger seat considerably weakens it, I find. I accept that things are more practical though.

james

Rod,

My 1st ediition parts book has TRIMMED SEAT ASSEMBLY-RH 552299

-LH 552298

but Frame assembly x 2                                                                      900427

Cover, cushion  X 2                                                                                552866 

Cover, squab X 2                                                                                     552867

Cushion assy trimmed X2                                                                   CD31408 

and then everything else is X 2, with no other parts having an individual part number.

So by a process of elimination  both sides'  components are the same for LH and RH except for the

actual finished trimmed assembly part numbers!

Roger M-E

i have 2 sets of TR2 seats one fixed one tilts on both sets. Am probably at the same point as you as i have them stripped for recovering.

I seem to remember that there is a handing re the seat cushions, direction of the seams.

Did you see my posting with photos 's the bracket on the rear of the seats i have. Do yours have this ?

Roy

I have two TR2s both with their original seats. They have been on both sides of the cars a few times over the years (44 years for one of the cars). 

The seats aren't handed but the mounting runners are so you can use the seat adjustment.

Hi Roger,

That kind of confirms what I thought. I can not see what the difference in the seat covers would be so will give them the once over. Perhaps more padding on the drivers side as cars typically  driven only with no passenger. Springs being an example of this.

I have now checked the seat back covers and they do not have any obvious differences although marked LH and RH.

Best regards

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Rod,

Looking at the TR3 supplement which came with my TR2 parts book, I see

that , again, the LH and RH seat assemblies (less cushion) are numbered differently

but the cushions and other components are numbered the same for either side.

The only conclusion I can arrive at is:

(1) the actual way the squab covers are fitted to the seat frames differs from side

to side, perhaps the orientation of the piping on the sides of the seats to avoid rolling over

the piping when getting in or out perhaps, but not the way the covers are made?

Hi Rod

I'm in the process of trying to get finished a long overdue restoration of a long door 2 I've owned since 1970. Both it and another short door 2 I had for a while had two rigid seats. Not sure when the folding seats were introduced.

According to the information I have and the restorers' understanding, the rigid seat frames were not handed and were interchangeable.

Having said that, I find that the driver's seat now seems to point towards the tunnel and puts me in a position that results in my right foot automatically covering the brake. I admit that I haven't driven many miles in the car yet - other problems like failing starter switches and burnt out starters among them -  and that it is a long time since I last drove either car,  but it just doesn't seem right. I am considering slotting the holes in the seat pan to allow me to adjust the orientation of the seat. Perhaps this might be a result of a slight error in the positioning of the seat location holes in the replacement floor panels = these were supplied by Moss - but I don't know.

Geoff

I checked the covers on the kitchen table and they are identical. The fixed back seat frames are original to the car. 

I have now trial fitted one of the covers  and with padding as original it will need the strength of Herculeus left nut to pull it into position to pin it. They do look superb and the leather garin which I had specially matched to the original looks just right.

Thanks all for input.

Rod

On 6/18/2020 at 10:49 AM, John McCormack said:

I have two TR2s both with their original seats. They have been on both sides of the cars a few times over the years (44 years for one of the cars). 

The seats aren't handed but the mounting runners are so you can use the seat adjustment.

John,

As far as I can make out from the Parts book, there is 1 part number each for the following

seat runners and parts:

seat adjusting slide X 2 603158 (1 for each seat)

slotted slide X 4   603157 (floor runners, 2 each side)

seat plain slide X 2          603159 (1 for each seat).

This would tend to rule out the mounting runners being handed.

I know I originally thought I was missing one of the seat runner adjuster slides,

until everyone I came across was the same. Stanpart money saving exercise!

Cheers

Roger M-E

On 6/23/2020 at 12:30 AM, roger murray-evans said:

John,

As far as I can make out from the Parts book, there is 1 part number each for the following

seat runners and parts:

seat adjusting slide X 2 603158 (1 for each seat)

slotted slide X 4   603157 (floor runners, 2 each side)

seat plain slide X 2          603159 (1 for each seat).

This would tend to rule out the mounting runners being handed.

I know I originally thought I was missing one of the seat runner adjuster slides,

until everyone I came across was the same. Stanpart money saving exercise!

Cheers

Roger M-E

Sorry, my miscommunication. The runners themselves aren't sided, just how you fit them to ensure the adjuster is accessible.