Tr4 Wire Loom from Rimmer

Just wanted to relate that I ordered and received quite quickly for US delivery a wire loom for my 64 TR4, which is the blue tape version.  The Rimmer site shows a blue tape loom in the picture but what you get is a black tape version.  Rimmer said when I contacted them to inquire why the difference, that they say somewhere in their terms on the website that they can cosmetically change things or something like that - buyer beware I guess  I did pull out the multimeter and traced the wire in the loom against the wiring diagram and it's sure enough correct functionally.  So, it would seem it works but if you care about the color, its wrong.

They offered for me to return the loom which I may do.  I't just a pain and an additional delay to deal with.  I was a bit angry but have calmed a bit and may just use what I have.  I did quality check every wire end traced back to where it is supposed to go. 

Anyway, just a warning that if you do go for that blue tape picture you won't get the blue tape product. 

As with most things AFTER I had already purchased the Rimmer loom, I looked deeper and it seems maybe there is a better alternative for wire looms - cheaper, better?  What would you guys recommend?

I replaced the loom on my TR4A about 15 years ago, and the one thing I would recommend is that you ensure it has all the wires for any additional things incorporated. In conjunction with this, make sure any sub assemblies are identified and attached as you install the loom prior to fitting the dash.

I got around to fitting reversing lights last week, and I discovered that the two stubby wires sticking out of the loom, and to which an additional pair of wires was supposed to be attached, were almost unreachable with the dash in place and with only approx 1.5 inches of protruding wires with bullet connectors, it took me the best part of a day to get the additional loom assembly attached. The air around me turned blue!

Kind regards

TT

Great advice.  I will try to profit from your learning.  Something easy to do on the bench can be impossible once installed.  There are several accessory kind of things like reversing lights, horn button, turn signal switch, etc  that are adjunct to the loom and while they have attachment points will not lend themselves to fiddling much once the thing is in the car.

Because of the condition of my car I have to change the loom to really test things.  And especially I really want to get the engine going.  The original wiring is all painted up with terrible overspray making it hard to see wire color.  There are cuts in the loom and just overall problems.  For example I was trying to trace the voltage to various key points and was getting inconsistent readings at the same point.  Found out the ignition switch is cutting on and out explaining the appearing and disappearing voltage but I also know that the entire dash is just dead (more or less) so among other things, likely the voltage stabilizer is not working.  As I started thinking about it I just decided I'd go after the wiring and get the elec part of the car worked out.  So my plan is to fit the loom in the car, get the basic wiring right with the car largely still under construction, get the engine going (it was stuck and I had to pull off head), then based on how well the engine seems I'll decide next steps.  Either way the loom will come out again for me to complete the body work and paint.  Then it all can go back.

I appreciate that i could just pull the engine and have it redone but if the engine will run I'd prefer to delay a rebuild for a next phase after I basically get the car under its own power.

Additional advice appreciated.

I had the opposite from Autosparkes mine arrived blue . Seems on the internet site there is a box to tick. i didn't they were happy to change it for me quickly next day.

I had noticed other reference to the Autosparks brand on the forum here but after I had gotten the Rimmer version already.  Looks like Autosparks is about $50 cheaper.  If it is same quality that should have been my choice probably.  Anyone compared the two versions?

Edited by RMP NC

In my youth at Cox & Buckles/Moss Europe I supplied RD Components (as they were before merging businesses with AutoSparks of Hull) with a new sample LHD Blue wrapped TR wiring Loom, which came from the Moss USA sample stores.  That loom along with others from the TR/AH/MG range formed the basis of the wiring loom range that Moss supplied. As far as I know they used that loom as a pattern for all subsequent replacement loom layouts of that specification.

Peter W