Hardtop brackets

Hi all, Long shot but has anyone got a pair of tr6 original hardtop mounting brackets (The ones that attach to to side for mounting on the B Post on the hardtop. In the Pic top circular bracket. Thanks Tony (Ignore the arrows).

1216221181_tr6hardtopbracket.jpg.2c92a0a47b91c761aaa3cc5b83ec8e4a.jpg

Hi tonytr I think you are talking about the brackets that bolt to the hardtop.

The ones in your photo are still available, but the hardtop brackets are as rare as hen’s teeth.

I have seen other people asking for them, I think they have been lucky some seem to have them hanging about.

When I needed them I did not think to post a request, I managed to buy one from the US they are left and right handed, I then did a drawing and was very lucky a friend made them but unfortunately that was a complete one off.

The originals were a casting, for an engineer they would be easy to make, by engineering standards they are very crude.

Bracket1.jpg

TR6 owners must be getting old, hardtops are slowly coming back in fashion, and I thought I was the only one, you do not see many TR6’s with hardtops although you see a quite a lot of Surrey tops on TR4/5.

I think the TR6 hardtop is a very good looking hardtop, but I wish Triumph had made a Surrey for the TR6 as well.

P1010847.JPG

36 minutes ago, mhossack said:

TR6 owners must be getting old, hardtops are slowly coming back in fashion, and I thought I was the only one, you do not see many TR6’s with hardtops although you see a quite a lot of Surrey tops on TR4/5.

I think the TR6 hardtop is a very good looking hardtop, but I wish Triumph had made a Surrey for the TR6 as well.

P1010847.JPG

Well a Surrey will fit a 6.

Stuart.

6 hours ago, mhossack said:

Hi Stuart I know the Surrey top will fit and have seen them on the TR6, but I don't think they really suit the TR6 in my opinion.

There's worse looking cars than a 6 with a Surrey.....

192JGY_Black-Alloy.JPG

A Surrey top will fit and look good on a TR6 but, as I know from personal experience, it’s not a straightforward situation as the windscreen header has to be replaced and the rear deck fittings are different.

Thats fine as long as you’re going to stay with the Surrey top but swapping back to a conventional soft or hard top will be time-consuming and not easy.

The amount of space and headroom in the rear of the car is more restricted with a Surrey top, though that will not be an important consideration for some people.

David

11 hours ago, David Clarke said:

A Surrey top will fit and look good on a TR6 but, as I know from personal experience, it’s not a straightforward situation as the windscreen header has to be replaced and the rear deck fittings are different.

Thats fine as long as you’re going to stay with the Surrey top but swapping back to a conventional soft or hard top will be time-consuming and not easy.

The amount of space and headroom in the rear of the car is more restricted with a Surrey top, though that will not be an important consideration for some people.

David

Thats not the case, if you go with the original type of Surrey soft section front fixing then you only need to change the ally capping which would still work if you wanted to change back and the rear fixings all you need to do is drill the captives out to fit the Surrey rear and if you wanted to go back to the soft top you just use nuts and bolts to fix the rear rail. I have converted them both ways and its a very easy procedure and doesnt actually take very long at all. There is hardly any difference in rear headroom either.

Stuart.

I have to say in my humble opinion the TR5 hard top just doesn't suit the lines of the TR6.

Alan

51 minutes ago, stuart said:

Thats not the case, if you go with the original type of Surrey soft section front fixing then you only need to change the ally capping which would still work if you wanted to change back and the rear fixings all you need to do is drill the captives out to fit the Surrey rear and if you wanted to go back to the soft top you just use nuts and bolts to fix the rear rail. I have converted them both ways and its a very easy procedure and doesnt actually take very long at all. There is hardly any difference in rear headroom either.

Stuart.

I agree its great for the dog and there is more rear space as you haven't got a folded soft top filling it.

Mark

20180610_190700.jpg

Hi OldBob I agree it looks fine and would not be rude about the Surrey top on a TR6. 

I just believe it is not the way Karmann would have designed a Surrey top for the TR6 they would have squared it off like the car and hardtop.

The only reason I mentioned the Surrey top, I never really like the look of all convertible cars and would have liked a removable roof panel like the Corvette and TR4/5 Surrey top.

IMG_1086.JPG

(Hi Tony, there have been some for sale on EBay,  TR shop I think. Cheers Conrad.)

Hi Conrad are you referring to the £140 kit from the TR shop, if so they do not include the pair of hardtop brackets, I think they wanted £80 plus ouch for the pair of hardtop brackets when I was looking for all the hardware.

I got a lot of mine from T.D. Fitchett but not the pair of hardtop brackets.  

5 hours ago, mhossack said:

I just believe it is not the way Karmann would have designed a Surrey top for the TR6 they would have squared it off like the car and hardtop.

Perhaps they would Mick, if they had done something.

Or, on the other hand, perhaps they thought it looked OK so no need to re-design it! ( yes I know Triumph never offered it but then they were already offering those terribly nice hardtops!  :lol::P,  too much choice possibly ? )

It comes down to personal opinion, some people think TR4's & 5's look best with softops, didn't you know.

Its good that we have the choice.

Bob