If your existing alternator and the new one are both Lucas ACR types there should be no need to change the wiring John provided the socketry on your existing one is three-pin (two large and one small spades in a block). Some early alternators may be slightly different. The main feed cable from the ammeter (thick brown or brown/yellow depending on year) could be beefed up a bit if you really want to but it isn't imperative.  

Neither is there any need to change the ammeter.  Although the new alternator will be capable of supplying more current it will only do that if asked to, so If you are not changing anything else then the ammeter will display exactly the same readings as before. 

Any additional loads you might plan to add (like a cooling fan for instance) should be connected to the alternator side of the ammeter and so will not result in higher readings unless you run them with the engine off.

Edited by RobH

I have a 69 PI and upgraded the Lucas ACR to 45 amps, which was as high as I could go at the time. I  decided to upgrade the ammeter to 60 amps because I didn't like the way it went off scale after starting. Apart from a direct feed to the Bosch pump, my wiring loom is unchanged.

I've had no problems with this set up , the work was done 15-20 years ago.