No fuel coming from injector 5

Hello I am a new tr6 pi  owner. Today after a good stretch on the motorway it seemed like it had fouled a plug, running poorly at low revs, I checked the plugs when I got home and found that number 5 was black and sooty. I cleaned and tried to drive but same problem. So I checked the injector and there is no fuel. So i unscrewed the injector from the fuel line and it doesn't seem like there is fuel flowing there either.

Any ideas?

Welcome,  see a thread here on injectors 2 and 5, take the fuel pipe off the injector and see if you can put some fuel down the pipe, what is happening is the fuel is just compressing the air bubble, try also taking injector out completely, with engine running hold injector vertical and pull lightly on the pin in the end of the injector that should then bleed the air out.  Make sure you have some fire damping equipment handy, fine petrol spray ignights easily!

John

On 6/5/2020 at 4:17 PM, MikeThomas said:

Andrew I had similar issues as you last year, became the owner of the 5 back in August 2017. The car had been restored in 93 but had only done 6,000 or so miles since then.

I'm no expert but learning fast, that said I used to service my Triumph Herald back in the 70s and Fords after that, and that's about my limit. Since acquiring the 5 I have been enjoying 'one to one lessons' on solving problems with the 5 via a chap who did his apprenticeship with Triumph in the 60s - 70s, and this covered Lucas Fuel Injection.

First we changed the plugs, removed the black rota arm and replaced it with the red one (his recommendation) car has electronic election. Replaced the coil and after finding a leak replaced the fuel metering unit (FMU). Actually now have a second FMU as the new one before had the diaphragm break, not common he said.

Car still lumpy so we looked at the fuel injectors. He showed me a way on how to identify which injectors were problematic, we did this by feeling the level of pulses through the fuel lines to the injectors via the fuel metering unit, this became more evident when the engine was revved up. From here we identified two low pulse injectors.

We then took out each injector separately with the engine running and placed it into a large glass jar, some use cardboard box (have fire extinguisher to hand just in case) and noted the spray. When we came to the two problematic ones as identified by lack of the pulse, he was right, just a dribble. We couldn't improve them so I decided to have all six injectors refurbished.

Also had earth lead connection problems, reset the butterflies and can now say, hand on heart she runs beautifully.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes, Mike

Well that seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the advice.

Next question is about timing.

I don't know any of the numbers I'm going after how the car drives. I can't seem to find the balance between smooth idle and low rpm pinging and knocking, and rough idle with super power at all rpm