Every time that I open my parts store I notice a pair of chrome plates that attach to the underside of the windscreen stanchion. I had new chrome  plating from a trip to the workshop in Croydon many years ago. Today I decided to fit them. I managed to remove the windscreen without scratching the paint.

I tried for about 1/2 hour and was unable to get the screws to bite in the small holes. I am trying to fit the plate over the rubber and even pushing very hard on the mini screwdriver it was not possible to fit the plate.

So I have two questions

1. Should I cut the rubber so that the plate sits on the metal with a flap over the rubber end
  2. My rubber buts up tight at each end so do I need the plates at all? What is their purpose ?

This question will not make sense to many owners who may not be familiar with the hidden side of the windscreen .

Thanks  Richard & B.

Hi Richard,

I get the impression from your text that you have already had the rubber seal fitted for some time? The purpose is to create a water tight seal against the scuttle it keeps tension in the rubber across width of the screen. The rubber contracts/shrinks over time and will eventually leak

Have you cut it down to length or is it the original length? If you have you will need another rubber I fear which must be left full length until complete.

Do the screws bite without the rubber? If not you may need new screws or glue them in. Do not try to use the old ones trust me, I know!

It is a most difficult job which takes four hands but you need all the length so you can stretch the rubber, this how it seals on the scuttle.

You need to firstly stretch the rubber from the middle of the screen out to the side so it thins out. Use a clamp or another pair of hands but that is more difficult to hold in position.

Use a ultra thin pick to make a hole through the rubber and into the hole in the stanchion.

Put the screw through the plate and into the rubber and enter it into to hole you made with the pick. 

This method relies on keeping the rubber in the same position.

It does take time but the results are worth it, the more you overstretch the rubber the tighter fit you get on the scuttle.

You may have to replace the rubber to give you adequate length to achieve this and then trim off afterwards. If doing this once makes you cry think about having to do it when the modern rubber perishes it makes sense to start with a new one.

Hope this helps. 

Rgds

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Very helpful. Thanks for such a quick answer. My screws are too short. Do you know the correct length or is it try and see. I am going to have trouble finding 4 small screws while self isolating.                                     Thanks Richard and B

Hi Richard,

Moss catelogue page 110 items 24 & 25.

Depending on how thick the plating was and what material also the rubber thickness can be thicker than the original was depending on supplier., could be enough to be the difference between getting it done and not.

Much as I like to use original if possible I used these parts and it worked, and yes it really is that tight to get these fitted. I suggest that you order from Moss or the like 8 screws and new plates. making sure to form these to suit as they come flat. A fun job but really does warrant the effort.

Rod