Ever since I bought the car back in January it has been difficult to start. The injectors also seemed to be a mixed bunch and one was very rattly. So I decided to send them off for an exchange set. As a result the car sat for 10 days or so with no injectors. Fitted the new injectors at the weekend and today I decided to give it a run. It took a while to start, but I put that down to air in the injector lines. Eventually set off down the road and the car was running on 4 cylinders occasionally 5.

Got back home and pulled the injectors from the inlets. Nice cone spray from 1, 3, 4 and 6. virtually nothing from 2 and 5. Swapped those injectors with a couple of spares and no difference. It seems there is very little fuel pressure in those two lines. Even without the injectors fitted there is not much fuel dribbling out when the engine is turning over.

So it is pointing to a metering unit problem. I will remove the unit later in the week but does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? 

Richard

I am no expert but you might have a problem with the Banjo bolts someone will be along to explain in detail.

3 hours ago, Richard Green 54 said:

Ever since I bought the car back in January it has been difficult to start. The injectors also seemed to be a mixed bunch and one was very rattly. So I decided to send them off for an exchange set. As a result the car sat for 10 days or so with no injectors. Fitted the new injectors at the weekend and today I decided to give it a run. It took a while to start, but I put that down to air in the injector lines. Eventually set off down the road and the car was running on 4 cylinders occasionally 5.

Got back home and pulled the injectors from the inlets. Nice cone spray from 1, 3, 4 and 6. virtually nothing from 2 and 5. Swapped those injectors with a couple of spares and no difference. It seems there is very little fuel pressure in those two lines. Even without the injectors fitted there is not much fuel dribbling out when the engine is turning over.

So it is pointing to a metering unit problem. I will remove the unit later in the week but does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? 

Richard

Yep the banjo bolts have been over tightened and the seals have gone you need to remove the mu clear any blockage and replace 

11 hours ago, ntc said:

Yep the banjo bolts have been over tightened and the seals have gone you need to remove the mu clear any blockage and replace 

Thanks for the input guys.

I did have al look through the manual last night and spotted a note regarding misfire on 2 and 5 related to the banjo seals. There was also a a tiny sliver of black o-ring seal in the back of one of the old injectors.

609268401_Screenshot2020-06-15at6_24_26pm.png.8e3274d52bfbac293bcf28a5adbef2e6.png

17 hours ago, Richard Green 54 said:

Richard

Hi Richard,

It can be very difficult to bleed the air out of 2 & 5. Years ago a Lucas- CAV main agent showed me how to do it the Lucas way which was to unscrew the injector lift the black injector pipe up to the vertical and using a wasco oil can filled with petrol, squirt petrol down the injector pipe until full then screw the injector back on and bleed as normal. I have use this method many times and it works well. It saves an awful lot of cranking!

Bruce.

2 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Richard,

It can be very difficult to bleed the air out of 2 & 5. Years ago a Lucas- CAV main agent showed me how to do it the Lucas way which was to unscrew the injector lift the black injector pipe up to the vertical and using a wasco oil can filled with petrol, squirt petrol down the injector pipe until full then screw the injector back on and bleed as normal. I have use this method many times and it works well. It saves an awful lot of cranking!

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce.

Before fitting the refurbished injectors I did inject fuel into all of the pipes using a large syringe. I knew some of the fuel would have evaporated. But when I was fault finding i turned over the engine with no injectors on lines 2 and 5. Virtually no fuel came out of the pipes. Especially number 5.

I have some new banjo o-ring seals on the way. So hopefully that will be an easy fix.

Richard

Update...

Removed the distributor cap and the two nuts holding down the distributor. Lifted it off the studs, complete with MU. Did not disconnect any other pipes or cables. That gave me room to undo the two banjo bolts. The washers did not look too bad, but there were some slivers of rubber in there. Took the pipes off and made sure they were clear. Fitted 4 new o-rings lubricated with petroleum jelly (Vaseline), checked the non-return valves were free and reattached the banjos to the MU. Followed the earlier advice and did not over tighten them. Also made sure they went back in the same orientation.

Then injected the pipes with petrol using a syringe. Kept tapping the pipe to get the air bubbles out. Also back filled the injectors with petrol to minimise any trapped air and then screwed them together again.

While I was at it I removed the pipe and NRV from #6 and checked the MU timing, which was spot on. But it meant I also had to back fill that pipe.

Put everything back together and after a few turns the car fired up and ran on all 6. So that is a result. When I hold the injector pipes I can now feel a nice strong pulse from each of them.

I would say that the problem was more likely to have been an air lock rather than anything else. But changing the banjo o-rings is a simple and cheap job.

My next task is to get the mangled sump plug out so I can replace the incorrect oil that someone put in the last time the car was serviced. That is a job for tomorrow and will give me a chance to try out my new Erbauer bolt & nut remover set. I have a nice new magnetic sump plug to go back in.

Thanks for all the suggestions and guidance guys. It is very much appreciated :D

Richard