Hey y'all,

Trimming the seats for my TR2 and as is my wont i took lots of pics as I dismantled them. Unfortunately I did not dissect the seat back.

I have the horse shoe shape- for the perimeter of the nside of the seat back.

Attached to that is a cover of the same horse hair material which is then glued on.

This the point where I have an issue. Should there be anything in the void left when you glue the seat back to the horse shoe section.

I was thinking about putting some memory foam to cushion the back.

Any tips appreciated.

Also the idea of using plastic to help the cover slide on, should this removed once seat cover fitted.

Rod

Rod, I have reached the same point in my refurbishment of my TR3 seats. Roger Williams book is as always a great help with a photo of the seat back with horse hair padding and the horseshoe shaped pad  in place. I presume that this u shaped pad gives a degree of concave support and should not be infilled. In the past I have used a plastic bag to ease the cover into position and then left it in place. The usual chaps are slow to respond to our mutual need for advice, but I am sure that will come. In the meantime wrestle on. David.

Hi David,

The horse shoe section is glued in as close to the edge and then the large horsehair section on top. Are you using the rubberised  horse hair? It is as stiff as old Nick.

I have fitted the cover with a single layer of capock sheets over the top and corners. There isn't room for more. the shape is good but it requires extreme tension to pull the cover into shape once the beading is over the top edge.

I have to come up with a method to keep tension while I pin it or use my electric staple gun.

I will play with this and let you know what works for me.

use those thin service seat covers to aid slip over of the cover.

Rod

• 1 year later...

The seats are a coming winter project and given delivery times I would like to order what I need in August. 

Has anyone entirely replaced the horsehair padding with something like memory foam? 

Is there a decent technique to flatten out a seat pan or is it just bang and smash?

10 hours ago, David Owen said:

The seats are a coming winter project and given delivery times I would like to order what I need in August. 

Has anyone entirely replaced the horsehair padding with something like memory foam? 

Is there a decent technique to flatten out a seat pan or is it just bang and smash?

Use the search facility and you will find one of our erstwhile members Menno did indeed use memory foam for his seats, why would you need to bash your seat pan?

Stuart.

7 hours ago, stuart said:

Use the search facility and you will find one of our erstwhile members Menno did indeed use memory foam for his seats, why would you need to bash your seat pan?

Stuart.

Thanks.  The seat pan is bent.