Hi all

Has anyone fitted headrests to there original 4a seats ? I've been thinking of doing this as mine are in very good condition and have leather covers so would like to keep the originality

and not go down the mx5 seat replacement  route . Any comments as always appreciated

Chris 

I suspect, if originality is at the forefront of your mind you'd need to opt for a 'slip-on' 60's accessory - i think later 6's had headrests, but again that wouldn't match the theme of originality in a 4.

...... Andy

Chris:

I was faced with the same issue, however my car came with incorrect seats taken from a TR250 I decided not to modify them as they are too valuable to change. Instead I opted to go with late TR6 seats, post-73 with removable headrests. They also recline very nicely and have the advantage of bolting right in. I had new seat covers made by John Skinner and they turned out extremely nice IMHO. The seat has horizontal pleats with perforated leather facing which may be off-putting for some.

As to the original question it seems to me that the brackets with rollers that attach the headrests to the TR6 seat could be removed and welded to the square section frame of the TR4A seat back. that would require sourcing a set of derelict seats for the brackets. Headrest assemblies are sold by the majors and are easy to come by. The seat covers would need a minimum of modification I would think. You could install the chrome grommets where the heat rest post passed through the top.

I've attached some photos of my TR6 seats and some pictures I have found showing the headrest brackets on the TR6 seat frame for reference.

Another Andy

IMG_3196-1.JPG

IMG_3197-2.JPG

tr6-seat-frame.jpg

tr6-seat-frame2.jpg

tr6-seat-frame3.jpg

Hi Andy 

Your seats look great that is what I am, after looking at the frames I can see how the headrest attaches now so it seems a relatively straight forward task 

I will keep my eye out for some tr6 seat frames that are beyond repair so as I can obtain the headrest fixings and some headrest of course

Chris 

Chris, the headrests were common across a lot of BL cars in the 70's, so don't restrict you search to TR6 seats. Spitfire, MG, Jaguar ... and probably others - if the headrest is the same, I expect the receptacle in the seat will be too. Oh, and briefly, early 90's Minis.

Cheers, Richard