Welding ....Is it just me

Think I have a way to go before I enter the Andy Wiltshire class of welding but I have noticed a significant issue that is stopping me leaving the Laurel and Hardy  class. I have an auto dimming welding mask  and even with it set to its lightest auto tint setting when I get an arc going its so dark I can't see what I'm doing ! not sure if its the mask or my poor eyesight. I have done all the obvious stuff like make sure the visor is clean. Anybody else have the same issue ....any solutions other than get somebody that know what they are doing to do it :ph34r:

It is  a problem, There is such a huge contrast between the very bright arc, & the surrounding metal. I find it helps to have a good bright light shining onto the work from above.

Bob.

Basic question I know but Is your mask battery or Solar powered ? Either way is it " charged up " ? Either batteries dying or dead

or you've taken the mask out of hibernation , without leaving it in the sunshine for a bit.

+1 for t'other Bob's suggestion.

Bob

28 minutes ago, Lebro said:

It is  a problem, There is such a huge contrast between the very bright arc, & the surrounding metal. I find it helps to have a good bright light shining onto the work from above.

Bob.

18 minutes ago, bob-menhennett said:

Basic question I know but Is your mask battery or Solar powered ? Either way is it " charged up " ? Either batteries dying or dead

or you've taken the mask out of hibernation , without leaving it in the sunshine for a bit.

+1 for t'other Bob's suggestion.

Bob

Thanks guys will order a BIG work light and put the helmet out for a sunbathe ! 

2 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

Graham,

You welcome to have a play with mine to see if it is your mask at fault. I am in Hemel Hempstead as you know.

If you still have my mobile no give me a ring.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

Thanks harry I'll see what the results of the work light and sunbathing produce and if no results may take you up on your offer it may be that my mask batteries are failing as the helmet is a few years old 

Graham I was having a similar issue and eventually found the problem after coughing up for a decent weld screen, I was often welding anything but the joint. I think my original screen came from Scewfix, after changing my glasses for a stronger pair and still no improvement, in the past I had made a living from TIG welding, decided it had to be the screen at fault and not my ability, after some internet research I bit the bullet and ordered a Speediglass 3M, the difference was incredible between night and day so much easier and reliable.

Paul

FWIW if you need glasses to work with I believe you can get a magnifying lens for the inside to replace the normal clear lens.

Stuart.

Thank you, Paul J, for tht "Speediglass 3M" tip!     

Just checking,as I can only find "Speedglass" online - is that right?     But I shall need to be desperate - prices start @ £160!

49 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Thank you, Paul J, for tht "Speediglass 3M" tip!     

Just checking,as I can only find "Speedglass" online - is that right?     But I shall need to be desperate - prices start @ £160!

Yes John I think that's about what I paid, my welding had degraded so much that I was just wasting wire and gas, it was not welding ability that was letting me down it was not being able to see the joint or the weld pool. I also do a fair bit of welding besides the car project so I felt it was justified.  Buying expensive tools has never been a priority with me I have always tried to make do, not always the cheapest solution. 

Paul

My experience was similar to Paul's.  I had a pretty cheap auto darkening mask, and couldn't really see what I was doing, even on the lightest setting.  It was during the last solar a eclipse that I found the problem. Watching the eclipse through the mask, i found rhat the darkness of the lens varied hugely, depending on what part of the window i was looking through.  The center was the darkest.

Buying a better helmet solved the problem.  My new one was around $120 or so.

I still have to use the lightest setting, though.

Ed

Watching the Sun without proper protection is so dangerous to your sight!     Doing so through a welding helmet that varies in the shade across the window is risks real damage!

NASA say that a welding helmet is adequate protectioon, but only if the filter is Shade 12 or darker.

Me, I recommend setting up a pair of binoculars on a camera stand, with a sheet of paper to focus the image onto.     It can be big enough for several people to see at once, and give you a good view of the eclipse, or, say, the next transit of Mercury (2032) or Venus (2117!).       The last Venus transit was in 2012, while we were on holiday in France.    I set up my rig to watch, and soon had a crowd of French people, to see what les Anglais Fous were up to!

Edited by john.r.davies
13 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

For best results, I'm with Bob, use a really bright light to illumiinate your work area.  A 500W halogen lamp works fine.

Rgds Ian

I used to use halogen flood and spot lamps in the workshop, but now have fitted LED lamps.  I do not get fried by close proximity to the lamp when working close to them.  They also do not break as easily when knocked.

Cheap to buy at CPC  https://cpc.farnell.com/c/electrical-lighting/lighting/outdoor-lighting/floodlights

Cheers

Peter W

I have a 2 x diopter in my welding helmet and a bright led lamp that clips on the mig  business end. Both are very helpful. Cant wear glasses and use the helmet , too much reflection. It also takes some practice to ignore everything else and focus on the puddle.

Stan

I have a portable mains-powered 38-watt LED lamp on a stand for garage etc - inexpensive to purchase & run, minimal heat and very bright.

I have installed a number of 16-watt tubular LEDs in the lofts - 1.2m in length (fit conveniently across two rafters), weigh very little and provide excellent illumination. Available in shorter & longer versions.

And have been installing LED lights outside the house - the 30-watt floodlamps are amazingly bright and illuminate the terrace and the car parking area as well as a 500-watt incandescent, but at a much reduced cost & longer life.

Ian Cornish