Rear suspension SPAX conversion

On 17 June 2020 at 10:16 AM, Adrian Lawton said:

Yes please Roy if you still have them.

OK  Adrian there yours

will sort out getting them to you when things change.

Some of the type 2 brackets have a mounting point that by bolts through the wheel arch too. These are the ones I have on the 6.

The 4A had already got the basic type 2 and I am considering converting them by welding an eye so they can  bolt through to the arches.

There is variant of the type 2 that uses the redundant bump stop mounting are they the TUV approved ones?

The scary pictures of broken trailing arms and ripped out diff bridges do raise questions as to whether the shocker length was wrong. The other reason it might happen would be the shocker was wound up so firm that the loading was vastly higher than the loading any lever arm could deliver through the same mounts.

Just now, Andy Moltu said:

Some of the type 2 brackets have a mounting point that by bolts through the wheel arch too. These are the ones I have on the 6.

The 4A had already got the basic type 2 and I am considering converting them by welding an eye so they can  bolt through to the arches.

There is variant of the type 2 that uses the redundant bump stop mounting are they the TUV approved ones?

The scary pictures of broken trailing arms and ripped out diff bridges do raise questions as to whether the shocker length was wrong. The other reason it might happen would be the shocker was wound up so firm that the loading was vastly higher than the loading any lever arm could deliver through the same mounts.

Hi Andy,

The TUV approved ones are the items TR Shop sell, and are made exceptionally well, very heavy duty and well designed. Yes, they use the redundant bump stop.

Cheers.

8 minutes ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi Andy,

The TUV approved ones are the items TR Shop sell, and are made exceptionally well, very heavy duty and well designed. Yes, they use the redundant bump stop.

Cheers.

You got that right very heavy think about un sprung weight ;) 

I have the type 3 fitted which I think came from Triumphtune.

They were a PITA to fit and very heavy , originally they were fitted to my TR6 but when I bought my TR250 back in 1992 I lightened them considerably before re- fitting them.

The loads are so well distributed through the body and chassis that they strengthen everything rather than over stressing certain areas.

Neil

11 hours ago, Stagpowered said:

I have the type 3 fitted which I think came from Triumphtune.

They were a PITA to fit and very heavy , originally they were fitted to my TR6 but when I bought my TR250 back in 1992 I lightened them considerably before re- fitting them.

The loads are so well distributed through the body and chassis that they strengthen everything rather than over stressing certain areas.

Neil

I have fitted several sets of them and your right they arent easy to fit but they do strengthen everything up nicely and mean you can run less offset allowing for the modern wider wheels.

Stuart.

jeffstr5 116.jpg

jeffstr5 115.jpg

48 minutes ago, stuart said:

I have fitted several sets of them and your right they arent easy to fit but they do strengthen everything up nicely and mean you can run less offset allowing for the modern wider wheels.

Stuart.

jeffstr5 116.jpg

jeffstr5 115.jpg

These  were on my TR6 when I bought it. I replaced them with chassis mounted brackets.

The problem with the body mounts is not only the panels where they mount but the body to chassis mounts. Over time the body cracks around these areas. They weren't designed to take the stress of the shock plunging up and down transferring that load to the body mounts.

7 hours ago, John McCormack said:

These  were on my TR6 when I bought it. I replaced them with chassis mounted brackets.

The problem with the body mounts is not only the panels where they mount but the body to chassis mounts. Over time the body cracks around these areas. They weren't designed to take the stress of the shock plunging up and down transferring that load to the body mounts.

If you had that problem then the body mounts werent tight enough or the brackets werent shimmed correctly.

Stuart.

13 hours ago, stuart said:

If you had that problem then the body mounts werent tight enough or the brackets werent shimmed correctly.

Stuart.

I changed before I had the problem. You could be right but the body and its mounts weren't designed to take the constant vertical stresses that the shocks will put on it. Lots of miles on rough roads isn't going to do it any good.

On 6/20/2020 at 7:24 AM, John McCormack said:

I changed before I had the problem. You could be right but the body and its mounts weren't designed to take the constant vertical stresses that the shocks will put on it. Lots of miles on rough roads isn't going to do it any good.

If they`re fitted correctly there`s no strain as it should be all taken up through the brackets and transferred to the chassis mounting.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...