Wiper motor identity

Hi Folks

I have a wiper motor that I am trying to identify.

It's a Lucas CRT 12v motor with reference number 75144B. There are some markings on it -

MODEL CRT

12V 2 60

75144B

I bought it a long time ago from a well respected TR guy as fitting a TR2.

Can anyone confirm that it is from a TR2 and whether it's fitted on anything else?

Thanks

Rog

It's always the same with wiper-motors, really hard to find what car they came from.  On the web somewhere you will find "Lucas Electrical Equipment for 1948 to 1961 Cars".  This often answers such questions.  But it's a big pdf file that's been scanned.  You have to go through manually.

For a TR2 you really want 75150.  I know because I've fixed a couple for forumites.  These are 130 degree sweep.

Now these motors are basically all the same, except for the position of the crank-pin on the final gear.  This sets the sweep angle.

Angles are hard to measure but its easier to measure the distance that the crank moves the rack-wire.  To tell 120 from 130 degrees, these are the common sweeps on CRT motors, you need to measure quite accurately, as it's about 0.2mm per degree of sweep.

If you measure the total travel I'll tell you the exact formula. 0.2mm per degree is just a rough rule.

Oh I forgot, later motors have the sweep stamped on the gear.  But I don't think CRT does, be worth looking though.

Edited by AlanT

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Not-Working-Lucas-Wiper-Motor-75144-9-54-Date-Code-MGTF-BN2-AC-Ace-T2-1/333469138106?hash=item4da44f3cba:g:GhwAAOSwCOJeE9qE

This seller is known to me.  He ran a British car dealership.  He has Lucas data and he is very probably right.

But like everyone else he does not usually know the sweep-angle.  This is really all that matters.

My bet is that 75144 is a 120-sweep, because later Healeys used a DR2 with 120 sweep.

You never want to fit a motor with more sweep than original because the blades go off screen.  But all that happens with a smaller sweep is that the passenger does not get such a good view in the rain.

In heavy rain the passenger in a TR2 probably has more to moan about than the view through the screen.

You will have wear in wheel-boxes and rack and in the motor too probably.  All this tends to increase the sweep.  So fitting a smaller sweep helps sometimes.

By the way CRT motors are built more like a watch than a clock. The intermediate gear runs in needle rollers. Whereas a DR3 with a burned out armature, that's been stored underwater, will usually still run,  most of the CRT's I get are stuck. Just stuck not burned out like the DR3's.

They are fiddly to work on but usually go OK with a bit of love.

Edited by AlanT
add sweep details

Thanks for all the input.

I'll try to find the Lucas info online - I did have a quick look before posting on the forum but couldn't find anything.

Mine is NOS as far as I can tell and is certainly not stuck! It runs well. The grease is not hard at all.

Rog

I have no idea why there is a mystery letter after all these part numbers.

Studying these motors up close shows many tiny variations,  mainly to do with parts supply and in some cases which shop made the parts. They make no difference to "fit and function". 

In manufacturing, parts like castings and bent metal are usually bought in, rather than made by the named manufacturer.

It may indicate the original customer or usage.  Later DR3A motors have a "customer number".  So for example a 75568 from a Mini can be distinguished from one from a TR4A.  It's like a unique order-code.

Anyway it's not important now. I don't even bother recording the letter.

This one will sell but maybe not quickly:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-CRT-WIPER-MOTOR-AUSTIN-HEALEY-100-JAGUAR-XK-SS-AC-ACE-MORGAN-PLUS-FOUR-MG/274398022805?hash=item3fe3658c95:g:5XsAAOSwnAJe51fC

So now you can fit it or flog it!

Edited by AlanT