Angela Merkel

Most people would agree that once they heard Mr. Newley sing they too would want to get off.

Unfair comment, if you hear his early singing before Hollywood beckoned he had a decent voice and good delivery. However he started to believe the US studio Grooming on how THEY thought a limey should sing, trying to satisfy that made him stilted and staccato.

Mick Richards

15 minutes ago, Lebro said:

That noise - can you hear it ?

Are you referring to his post Hollywood singing voice or the “Children’s favorites” song of the same name?

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

Amazing how you can get from Angela Merkel to Anthony Newley in the space of a couple of days.

(Anthony Newley did, of course, write the lyrics for the stage show “Stop the world, I want to get off.” Most people would agree that once they heard Mr. Newley sing they too would want to get off.)

Charlie

Do you mind........? Or may be I meant Pop goes the Weasle!

21 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

I have been saying those exact same words since I was a teenager at school 1963 , when I first became aware of Martin Luther King and it just carried on from there. Horror after horror a world I didn’t like or understand or wish to be a part of and now people are calling me Racist, father forgive them for they know not what they say.

Suzanne

You are racist because you are white

A long time ago, I was told that 'Only white men can be racist'.

This, because we are the ones who subjugated other nations

Forget the subjugation of africans, by africans

Forget the cast system in India

Forget Hitler (the epitome of a racist), the years spent defeating him and the year the UK stood alone, allowing the rest of the then free world to discuss whether or not they should get involved

Forget the fact that, depending on how you do the maths, between 21 million and 40 million people are in slavery today, more than at any time in history

We are racist because our skin is pale.

38 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Does every other ex colonial power, beat themselves up like we seem to do?

John.

Probably not John, but, we have little else to do since Boris ordered us under the bed about 10 years weeks ago

Besides, we have bored students, with nothing to do, telling us just how bloody appalling we were and how we should be ashamed of our history.

Those who try to re-write history usually have an agenda that includes the degredation of many, for the benifit of very few.

It, just that we were so good at it John. !

It gives us ample room for regrets, heck even the Banks and many of our multinational/ national companies were involved in it. As I mentioned in an earlier posting, the ownership of the slaves was spread nationwide throughout the population. When the British Government, In the late 1800s was the most major ( if not the first) and successful Country to make owning slaves illegal, it took a HUGE amount of money ( 40% of the British economy...I think) to repay everybody who owned slaves for what they considerate “ sequestration of their asserts”. The government took out long term ( very long term, I believe the loans were finally paid back in 2005 !) no doubt not helped by the processIon of wars We took part in ( it’s tough at the top) including 2 world wars which we made the final repayments back to the US on December 28 th 2008 ! 
For all our faults (and we had many) our investment in the world and democracy I hope goes some way to equalising the awful wrongs we also committed. There’s not many countries that gets to spend their proceeds and Empire on saving the world ! Or the balls to do it !

Mick Richards

25 minutes ago, wjgco said:

Probably not John, but, we have little else to do since Boris ordered us under the bed about 10 years weeks ago

Besides, we have bored students, with nothing to do, telling us just how bloody appalling we were and how we should be ashamed of our history.

Those who try to re-write history usually have an agenda that includes the degredation of many, for the benifit of very few.

+1

I will repeat, my skin is not White, I have been asked all my life “where are you from”? Children at junior school used to say your foreign, where are you from? 
last summer a Wndrush generation Carribean lady, whilst I was waiting in our local chemist, asked me where I was from.

Similarly whilst waiting at a bus stop locally and Indian lady asked me where am I from., because my skin is darker than most ENGLISH people.

This is why it was me who first brought up the subject of Vitamin D3 some four years ago here on this forum.

i worked for 20 years for Hillingdon Council where I was considered White and not included in the Black Womens Meetings but we didn’t ever have White Women's meetings the Afro Caribbean, Muslim, Indian, Asian etc women were welcome to all meetings which were NEVER for women alone.

Right, I feel better having got that off my chest.

Edited by SuzanneH
27 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

It gives us ample room for regrets, heck even the Banks and many of our multinational/ national companies were involved in it. [...]

There’s not many countries that gets to spend their proceeds and Empire on saving the world! Or the balls to do it!

+1 When you get that peculiar  feeling of regret or shame (peculiar, because youvweren't there and had nonpart in it), cast your mind to Belgium's crimes in Africa, so subtly referred to in Conrad's Heart of Darkness, completely misunderstood, manipulated or misinterpreted in its adaptation, in the imaginary Vietnam of Apocalypse Now.

Edited by DavidBee
3 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

It, just that we were so good at it John. !

It gives us ample room for regrets, heck even the Banks and many of our multinational/ national companies were involved in it. As I mentioned in an earlier posting, the ownership of the slaves was spread nationwide throughout the population. When the British Government, In the late 1800s was the most major ( if not the first) and successful Country to make owning slaves illegal, it took a HUGE amount of money ( 40% of the British economy...I think) to repay everybody who owned slaves for what they considerate “ sequestration of their asserts”. The government took out long term ( very long term, I believe the loans were finally paid back in 2005 !) no doubt not helped by the processIon of wars We took part in ( it’s tough at the top) including 2 world wars which we made the final repayments back to the US on December 28 th 2008 ! 
For all our faults (and we had many) our investment in the world and democracy I hope goes some way to equalising the awful wrongs we also committed. There’s not many countries that gets to spend their proceeds and Empire on saving the world ! Or the balls to do it !

Mick Richards

Interesting guys,

Because I do not even think we were the worst, or the most prolific,

I'm with you Mick, its about time we shouted a bit about the good we've done throughout the ages, and not just the bad,

Never mind what did the Romans ever do for us????????

John.

3 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

+1

I will repeat, my skin is not White, I have been asked all my life “where are you from”? Children at junior school used to say your foreign, where are you from? 
last summer a Wndrush generation Carribean lady, whilst I was waiting in our local chemist, asked me where I was from.

Similarly whilst waiting at a bus stop locally and Indian lady asked me where am I from., because my skin is darker than most ENGLISH people.

This is why it was me who first brought up the subject of Vitamin D3 some four years ago here on this forum.

i worked for 20 years for Hillingdon Council where I was considered White and not included in the Black Womens Meetings but we didn’t ever have White Women's meetings the Afro Caribbean, Muslim, Indian, Asian etc women were welcome to all meetings which were NEVER for women alone.

hi Sue,

surely that SHOULD have been as illegal, as if it were the other way around?

John.

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

hi Sue,

surely that SHOULD have been as illegal, as if it were the other way around?

John.

It depends on if it bothers you or not. I just shrug my shoulders and get on with my life. As I have  said on here before from my birth I have lived amoungst people from all nations and ethnicities Hillingdon Heath was a multicultural society from at least 1950.

Edited by SuzanneH
8 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

+1

There is a black police officers association

Is there a white police officers assciation?

We changed At the Bar to Alec’s Inn. Perhaps it’s time we should change the name  of Social Scene to TRR Social Media sight.

I am finding it difficult to find the difference between topics perhaps better suited  under Alec’s Inn, things that you might discuss in at a pub and Social scene for Non technical items. 

Perhaps I will be at odds with a large majority of members using the forum, possibly non members using the forum too, but do we need these two separate platforms’ indeed was it the intention to amalgamate the two over time all along.

I find it disappointing that usually the only thread being updated in Alec's inn is "he who posts last" 

Combining the two in the public area would be good in my opinion, & perhaps have a "Members only area for "delicate" subjects.

Bob. :ph34r:

Edited by Lebro
2 hours ago, Lebro said:

I find it disappointing that usually the only thread being updated in Alec's inn is "he who posts last" 

Combining the two in the public area would be good in my opinion, & perhaps have a "Members only area for "delicate" subjects.

Bob. :ph34r:

+1

To clarify - in my opinion Alec's Inn was hi-jacked from the start by the MT and would not allow it in the public domain.

Alec's Inn had no intention of being serious etc.

The serious stuff should be in the 'Members Zone' forum  and used on sensitive subjects,

And if ones memory is fading The Darren Cummings debacle was a disgrace by the MT as was numerous posts by a director 5 years ago.

Sadly that director then put a disgraceful email into the public domain - potentially very serious.

Roger

Indeed - things like the above should be kept out of public sight. 

Edited by RogerH

All that effort by John Morrison to get them separated and now you want them combined again, laughable!

Start using Alec’s Inn as it should be. Perhaps not enough info’ is coming through that needs stifling :ph34r:

Of course it does depend in what section the instigating poster chooses to initiate their post.

Edited by SuzanneH
1 hour ago, SuzanneH said:

Of course it does depend in what section the instigating poster chooses to initiate their post.

Members choice Suzanne, Absolutely recent places members chose to post in

Alec’s Inn

How old is it, Italian job, international weekend,The Plate thanks you NHS, Thinks to do in lockdown 

All things members or club is doing 

And 

Social scene

Angela Merkel, Coronavirus, SlaveTrade status, Devon Farmer less than impressed with beech goers parking, Ms Sturgeon.

While I understand John worked hard at getting an addition site. Social scene open to members and non members alike, to get an insight Into the club. Perhaps it’s the content within social scene, and Alec’ Inn, in which the posters are choosing to initiate their posts that’s causing my difficulty, and my reasoning behind subsequently asking the question, “do we need these two separate platforms’ indeed was it the intention to amalgamate the two over time all along?“

Edited by Derek Hurford

« I find it disappointing that usually the only thread being updated in Alec's inn is "he who posts last" « 

At the risk of making myself thoroughly unpopular with some, may I state that I fail to understand the interest in such a thread, all it does it take up storage bytes in the serveur and has little interest either intellectually or practically.

I never have nor will I ever contribute to such a ridiculous theme!

james

23 minutes ago, james christie said:

I never have nor will I ever contribute to such a ridiculous theme! James

+1

54 minutes ago, Derek Hurford said:

Members choice Suzanne, Absolutely recent places members chose to post in

Alec’s Inn

How old is it, Italian job, international weekend,The Plate thanks you NHS, Thinks to do in lockdown 

All things members or club is doing 

And 

Social scene

Angela Merkel, Coronavirus, SlaveTrade status, Devon Farmer less than impressed with beech goers parking, Ms Sturgeon.

While I understand John worked hard at getting an addition site. Social scene open to members and non members alike, to get an insight Into the club. Perhaps it’s the content within social scene, and Alec’ Inn, in which the posters are choosing to initiate their posts that’s causing my difficulty, and my reasoning behind subsequently asking the question, “do we need these two separate platforms’ indeed was it the intention to amalgamate the two over time all along?“

Are you deliberately trying to be controversial ans stir up bad feeling again in this forum?

History is going to repeat itself if you are not carefull. If you are dissatisfied with how the forum is run and organised why not send John Morrison a PM with your thoughts and grumbles.

This thread was started by someone who, although controversial in my mind, decided to Enter it in the Social Scene. It has morphed as it rolled along, if the Mods weren’t happy they would have moved it by now.

Moderation is best left to the contributors, in my opinion, reasonable people know what is acceptable where......!

• brian -r locked, unlocked and locked this topic