Angela Merkel

Just now, Lebro said:

Different platform perhaps, I don't have a green square ! ( PC)

Bob.

I have a PC, and the options appear. Also on mobile. So this issue (standard functionality across platforms) should concern us all, and the Forum software administrators, especially.

28 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

Very true, Mick! I guess feelings run high with these kinds of topics. Brexit, Remainers and Leavers, Colonialism and so on and so forth. But there is such a thing as British humour, quite unique —something to be proud of — and civilized.

And with that comes free speech which allows you and I to post freely, but not to insult ( in certain manners) or threaten other people, ( I’m not suggesting you have done either).

I can’t purport to speak for other posters ( sorry Suzanne, wasn’t trying to name anybody by inclusion of female but in today’s PC world who cannot open the subject to all sexes). There seems to be a continuing theme of posters who are remainer minded to Post upon or open these sort of threads. Whilst everybody is allowed to post their thoughts I think you stumbled into a tendacious area by making a post which agreed with theirs, and opened yourself up to a reaction. 
Personally I believe the “ like/ dislike“ box without comment, allows a snap judgement to be made which often doesn’t reflect the nuances Of threads or arguments...such as these. I would encourage this box ticking only be allowed with an identifying post, oh...and the addition of post numbers again to allow easy and accurate identification.

Mick Richards

6 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

And with that comes free speech which allows you and I to post freely, but not to insult ( in certain manners) or threaten other people, ( I’m not suggesting you have done either).

I can’t purport to speak for other posters ( sorry Suzanne, wasn’t trying to name anybody by inclusion of female but in today’s PC world who cannot open the subject to all sexes). There seems to be a continuing theme of posters who are remainer minded to Post upon or open these sort of threads. Whilst everybody is allowed to post their thoughts I think you stumbled into a tendacious area by making a post which agreed with theirs, and opened yourself up to a reaction. 
Personally I believe the “ like/ dislike“ box without comment, allows a snap judgement to be made which often doesn’t reflect the nuances Of threads or arguments...such as these. I would encourage this box ticking only be allowed with an identifying post, oh...and the addition of post numbers again to allow easy and accurate identification.

Mick Richards

Yes, I thought after my post that I was too quick to comment and that females were included just to be PC, sorry. What a Bloody rediculous world we are now having to navigate our way around.

1 hour ago, SuzanneH said:

What a Bloody rediculous world we are now having to navigate our way around.

Well, if we consider all this in terms of good, old-fashioned, manners, then it is more than about being politically correct (an example of which is, in modern English, to refer to "they" in the singular, to avoid "he" or "she".

I have found, in tutorials, this PC approach to gender works against women. But where I teach, about 80% of the undergrads are women.

I think there is also a question of behaviour online, as Mick is pointing out. For example, my (bad) behaviour, when I posted Holocaust photographs, because I got carried away.

It was wrong. I'm glad the Moderators removed them. I thanked them for doing so.

So there's a case in point when the issue wasn't due to PC, at least, I don't think so.

20 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

Well, if we consider all this in terms of good, old-fashioned, manners, then it is more than about being politically correct (an example of which is, in modern English, to refer to "they" in the singular, to avoid "he" or "she".

I have found, in tutorials, this PC approach to gender works against women. But where I teach, about 80% of the undergrads are women.

I think there is also a question of behaviour online, as Mick is pointing out. For example, my (bad) behaviour, when I posted Holocaust photographs, because I got carried away.

It was wrong. I'm glad the Moderators removed them. I thanked them for doing so.

So there's a case in point when the issue wasn't due to PC, at least, I don't think so.

I think you will find that a forum member asked for your Holocaust photographs to be removed as someone quoted your post and inserted it into a different thread. I also think I know who that person was but again it wasn’t me.

15 hours ago, DavidBee said:

When I see zeros and minuses, I give them likes

David,

I’m not saying if giving “Likes” or “Dislikes” is right or wrong, but what you are doing is making the whole system pointless.

If someone has given a “Dislike” for something he/she seriously feels needs it, all that will happen is that you will come along and give a “Like”, simply because someone else has “Disliked” it.

You also say that you don’t like to see someone with a “Zero”, so you give them a “Like”, (I assume even if you don’t really like the comment, but just because they have a “Zero”), again, making the whole system pointless.

It makes the  “Reputation score” a waste of time.

Charlie.

The whole likes/dislikes (or other options of Love/Haha/Confused/sad/thanks) get a rather strange reception on this forum.

The practice of adding a quick reaction to a post is widespread throughout most platforms (insta, twitter, F/book, youTube and shed-loads of blog/vlog sites), and is here to stay. If someone wishes to add a more verbose response they can type as well. The world is full of so many opinions (which is good) they will generate some differences -  personally, i don't see this as rude/underhand/sly/covert, its just people.

Oddly though, on this platform, the ID of whoever placed the reaction isn't displayed (it is on just about every other platform i've used) - that should be a simple forum config change, then the system-based behaviour would be the same as that used more widely. One for the Admin to mull over, just a  thought, i'm not particularly precious either way.

...... Andy

14 minutes ago, AndyR100 said:

Oddly though, on this platform, the ID of whoever placed the reaction isn't displayed (it is on just about every other platform i've used) - that should be a simple forum config change, then the system-based behaviour would be the same as that used more widely. One for the Admin to mull over, just a  thought. Andy

+1 yes, Andy, actually changes everything, by giving the individual poster responsibility, by doing away with anonymity.

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

David,

I’m not saying if giving “Likes” or “Dislikes” is right or wrong, but what you are doing is making the whole system pointless.

If someone has given a “Dislike” for something he/she seriously feels needs it, all that will happen is that you will come along and give a “Like”, simply because someone else has “Disliked” it.

You also say that you don’t like to see someone with a “Zero”, so you give them a “Like”, (I assume even if you don’t really like the comment, but just because they have a “Zero”), again, making the whole system pointless.

Charlie.

How very perceptive of you, Charlie! I must give you a like without delay. No, a heart, why not?

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

Actually I think "reputation score" is a waste of time on forums (or sections of a forum, in this case) that involve debates about contentious or at least subjective topics, rather than involving exchanges of technical information (eg the main sections of the TRR forum). It implies we'd value someone based on the number of other people who happen to agree or not with what they say. Quite school-yard really.

So, I might post a load of dangerously misleading old cods in a thread about double-sprung flange valves, and get a couple of negative tags there, but then post a whole slew of pictures of puppies somewhere else on the forum and get dozens of "heart" tags. 

Feel free to "Like" this post.

Nigel

49 minutes ago, Bleednipple said:

Actually I think "reputation score" is a waste of time on forums (or sections of a forum, in this case). Feel free to "Like" this post. Nigel

Indeed, but topics which elicit opinions, convictions, or pure and simple ideology of one sort or another are bound to produce strong reactions. I think it's time for another "heart", Nigel. I can feel it. ;)

1 hour ago, DavidBee said:

+1 yes, Andy, actually changes everything, by giving the individual poster responsibility, by doing away with anonymity.

Should we also insist on people using their real names, not pseudonyms?

Mick

3 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

I think you will find that a forum member asked for your Holocaust photographs to be removed as someone quoted your post and inserted it into a different thread. I also think I know who that person was but again it wasn’t me.

I’m not sure who you had in mind Suzanne and I’m not sure if I was the only one,  but just so there isn’t any doubt, I specifically asked for the topic to be moved, not removed, moved from an open forum, to Alec’s Inn.

I sighted my reasons including a particular photo of British soldiers with machinery, It was removed and I am satisfied with that decision. 

To David thank you I’m impressed with your response. I have not made a habit of making such a request I cannot actually recall another time. I stand by my request and my reasons. I of course accept the Moderators may take a different view. I’ll not respond further other than to say. 

I feel the moderators should consider all posts and make a judgment, take the appropriate action that’s why we have them. They have in the past even while RogerH your husband was a moderator. I am sure no inference was intended in your post, but I want to make my position clear.

1 minute ago, Mick Forey said:

Should we also insist on people using their real names, not pseudonyms? Mick

Very good question. I did, initially, until I realized that, by doing so, I could be found through any online search. But some of what I am prepared to say in this Forum is only for the people I know in here. In some ways, it can be private, personal. Not at all suitable for strangers, as it were.

So I don't think so. Furthermore, I think that, shall we call it "internal" anonymity, can be easily avoided otherwise. I am now DavidBee. We get to know the person all the same. So I know pseudonym people who are very generous, very kind, willing to help others, even if I ignore their real names. Time for another "Like", methinks, Mick.

6 minutes ago, Derek Hurford said:

I’m not sure who you had in mind Suzanne and I’m not sure if I was the only one,  but just so there isn’t any doubt, I specifically asked for the topic to be moved, not removed, moved from an open forum, to Alec’s Inn.

I sighted my reasons including a particular photo of British soldiers with machinery, It was removed and I am satisfied with that decision. 

To David thank you I’m impressed with your response. I have not made a habit of making such a request I cannot actually recall another time. I stand by my request and my reasons. I of course accept the Moderators may take a different view. I’ll not respond further other than to say. 

I feel the moderators should consider all posts and make a judgment, take the appropriate action that’s why we have them. They have in the past even while RogerH your husband was a moderator. I am sure no inference was intended in your post, but I want to make my position clear.

HI Derek,

there were some odd things happening.

Somebody quoted me and that  picture of the concentration camp entrance was attached - but it was never in my original post.

It then get even odder - the post started in Social scene but ended up[ in Alec's Inn

I asked the Mod's if they could remove the 'mis'-quote. Very quickly they responded and the thread in Alec's Inn  was gone.

It may be that a number of people requested its removal.

Roger

5 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Personally I believe the “like/ dislike“ box without comment allows a snap judgement to be made, which often doesn’t reflect the nuances of threads or arguments... such as these. I would encourage this box ticking only be allowed with an identifying post, oh... and the addition of post numbers again to allow easy and accurate identification.

I missed these suggestions of yours, Mick, in my earlier haste.

I must say, I agree with you. It would make the posts replicate the back and forth of dialogue, or at least, make it a better approximation and therefore result in more effective communication, surely a good thing?

6 minutes ago, RogerH said:

It may be that a number of people requested its removal. Roger

Good. No irony intended. I mean it. Good! I'm glad you did so and glad others did so too. Very tricky ground indeed.

10 minutes ago, RogerH said:

HI Derek,

there were some odd things happening.

Somebody quoted me and that  picture of the concentration camp entrance was attached - but it was never in my original post.

It then get even odder - the post started in Social scene but ended up[ in Alec's Inn

I asked the Mod's if they could remove the 'mis'-quote. Very quickly they responded and the thread in Alec's Inn  was gone.

It may be that a number of people requested its removal.

Roger

I may have misunderstood, my references was not related to a photo on your post, In fact I do not  Recall seeing it. 

2 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

Should we also insist on people using their real names, not pseudonyms?

Mick

Absolutely...quite correct, who could object and if it had been in place 18 months ago would have saved the TR Register having to call an EGM (because the offending individual had stirred up bad feeling) with it's attendant costs and cut out pages of forum spluttering posts whilst a way forward was found.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
19 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

What a Bloody rediculous world we are now having to navigate our way around.

I was going to give this a 'Like' but, it seemed such a mild, grey response.

This statement just about sums it it.   Sometimes, I just want to stop the world and get off.

16 hours ago, AndyR100 said:

Oddly though, on this platform, the ID of whoever placed the reaction isn't displayed (it is on just about every other platform i've used) - that should be a simple forum config change, then the system-based behaviour would be the same as that used more widely. One for the Admin to mull over, just a  thought, i'm not particularly precious either way.

...... Andy

+2

The name (or forum ID) is shown on the other fora I use . . . . It is right that they are

2 hours ago, wjgco said:

Sometimes, I just want to stop the world and get off.

I have been saying those exact same words since I was a teenager at school 1963 , when I first became aware of Martin Luther King and it just carried on from there. Horror after horror a world I didn’t like or understand or wish to be a part of and now people are calling me Racist, father forgive them for they know not what they say.

Edited by SuzanneH

Amazing how you can get from Angela Merkel to Anthony Newley in the space of a couple of days.

(Anthony Newley did, of course, write the lyrics for the stage show “Stop the world, I want to get off.” Most people would agree that once they heard Mr. Newley sing they too would want to get off.)

Charlie

• brian -r locked, unlocked and locked this topic