Gearbox and O/D overhaul

I have this week just fitted the overhauled box and O/D (type A) back in my Six and got a chance yesterday to take it out for some sun.  Sooooooo pleased with the smoothness of the change and how quiet it is without the moaning layshaft.

If you're looking for a quality overhaul for gearbox and/or O/D, then I can highly recommend Overdrive Repair Services in Sheffield.  Tel 0114 2482632

iTzJRYAvRoSMBL3fSo3r2w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dan Boyd said:

Could I ask you how much it cost? I have just been quoted £2,000 for a rebuild of my non-overdrive GT6 gearbox. Does that sound excessive?

That does include labour, VAT and removal and refitting of the gearbox

Hi Dan,

where about's do you live.

If anywhere near Leatherhead in Surrey (close to the M25) then Hardy engineering would charge apprx £500

Roger

The gearbox and overdrive on my 5 was done by Overdrive Repair Services as recommended by many. The car had not run for 40 years and the bill including collection/delivery of the box and vat was £1200.

Tim

Could I ask you how much it cost? I have just been quoted £2,000 for a rebuild of my non-overdrive GT6 gearbox. Does that sound excessive?

have a chat with Pete Cox he knows his stuff. 
based in Redditch, B98 0RB but worth a drive if you are not near.

https://petecoxsportscars.co.uk

it doesn’t have to be a racing car and he does not charge race prep money.

I have used him for both gearbox/od and axle work  and was happy to let him know and he has used it as a testimonial :D

I supplied my gearbox and O/D to ORS and they charged me £1250 inclusive of VAT, for rebuilding and Stag mods to the gearbox, including the 3 needle roller conversion to lay gear, heavy duty clutch linings in O/D and Dolomite Sprint 1st gear cog. I would have to know what they mean by rebuilding the gearbox as some of the bearings are expensive and I have known them not to be replaced, personally I would only use ORS for rebuilding? AS they do RR and Bentley gearboxes to me that says it all! Also remember ORS do O/D conversions and sell TR gearboxes outright.

Bruce, 

23 hours ago, Dan Boyd said:

Dan you should talk to Mike Papworth, he is the Vitesse/GT6 guru on these boxes, your quote is a lot of money, but might be fair, depending on travelling/ and as you say removal refitting costs.

Unit rebuild alone would be less than half that, talk to some local club members, go along to a club meet, removal is a mornings job for two amateurs, and refitting a bit longer.

John.

22 hours ago, Z320 said:

Did you add a rubber hose over your gear shift leaver as Andy reported currently?

Had meant too - but no rattle from the rebuilt GB - so no need.