making a new wiring loom.

Has anyone made their own new loom? How did you go about it? What fuse / relay panel did you use? What types of connectors did you use (especially the lights)?

Mine is quite stiff and aged a lot in places. I can copy it like for like on the garage wall with new wiring but it's a big job for me, electrics are my achilles heel.

27 minutes ago, jfg said:

Has anyone made their own new loom? How did you go about it? What fuse / relay panel did you use? What types of connectors did you use (especially the lights)?

Mine is quite stiff and aged a lot in places. I can copy it like for like on the garage wall with new wiring but it's a big job for me, electrics are my achilles heel.

Probably safer and easier to just buy a new one https://www.autosparks.co.uk/finder

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Most of my loom is original & the wires are still in reasonable condition so suggest you talk to the usual suspects and see if they can supply a 2nd hand one if its beyond repair. The wiring looms changed a lot over the life of the car so be very careful you get the right one. For example the very last 7's had an intermittent wipe circuit added & the only change was that the wires go to different pins in the male & female plugs!

Replacing sections that have been damaged should not be overly difficult. Most coloured wires are available from AES https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/home and they sell by the metre so its easy to get what you need. Remove the damaged parts and solder new matching replacements in place (having slid a length of heat shrink sleeving over each wire 1st) after soldering slide the heatshrink to the soldered area & shrink down with a hot air gun.

Cheers

Howard

I did the partial loom repair to my porsche but only because the most of the loom was ok.

I've looked at the prices of new looms and i can save a huge chunk of cash by building my own.  As long as i replace like for like i'll not make mistakes, unless i copy an existing mistake.