New 1962, whoops, 1960 TR3 A Owner

2 hours ago, David Owen said:

Question, I am now a member of TR Register.  Do I automatically get deignated as such on the forum or do I have to do something>?

No one told you about the ritual ??

You need to where a pair of goat skin leg coverings and a set of curly horns on your head. A bit like a Hammer horror film from the 70s.

Also you get branded on the part of your body with 'TR" and plead allegiance to the forum god that is John Morrison.

Its true.....honest !!

Edited by Crawfie
Spelling
  • Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plus 1 on David Tushingham Cheftush. nice guy who's has done some restorations of seriously decayed TR's. In Ontario and knows a lot about the cars, can put you onto "Yank" terminology and also s

David, if you have registered and can log on to the members only part of the site you can access workshop manuals etc from there and should be able to find a wiring diagram. The horn button simply ear

Hi David, Nice car, pretty sure that there must be more TR owners in your area. Enjoy the TR! Yves

Posted Images

2 hours ago, RobH said:

It ought to happen automatically after some little while for the admin cogs to grind David, but on the odd occasion it doesn't. An e-mail to the office then usually sorts it out. 

Thank you n

Is there an online interior colour chart to give me an idea of trim colours?  I know the original interior was blue just wondering what type of blue.  Just at the research stage.

Edited by David Owen
2 hours ago, iain said:

Thank you. 

I just discovered that under the red trim is blue trim.  Was it common practice to paint the trim?  (Obviously not the carpets) Is there a way to remove the red paint without damaging the trim?

Edited by David Owen

David, sadly it is still not automatic as the forum runs on a different platform to the main website and the membership database. It is on Wayne's long job list to integrate the two which will give us a single sign-in and keep the "TR Register Member" banner correct on the forum. An email to the office and Jo will fix it for you. She is working from home so please give her a bit of time to enact it.

Mick 

2 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

David, sadly it is still not automatic as the forum runs on a different platform to the main website and the membership database. It is on Wayne's long job list to integrate the two which will give us a single sign-in and keep the "TR Register Member" banner correct on the forum. An email to the office and Jo will fix it for you. She is working from home so please give her a bit of time to enact it.

Mick 

Thanks Mick,

No problem at all.  Jo Whittey is lightning quick.  Great service.

David

Hi David

Welcome to owning a sidescreen and to the forum. To help date your 3A,  my car that i imported to france from the US was built on 28 July 1961 and the comission number is TS 783XX-L  (the last two X's are numbers but I dont like giving them away on an open forum) It was registered in the US as a 1962 car. The engine number is about 300 higher than the comission number. I rebuilt the motor to TR4 spec at 2.2 litres and a later head, and as you have found out you cant drive them and not smile.

cheers

Alan

3aChrissie.jpg

15 hours ago, David Owen said:

I just discovered that under the red trim is blue trim.  Was it common practice to paint the trim?  (Obviously not the carpets) Is there a way to remove the red paint without damaging the trim?

Yes, it was common to paint the trim you could get special paint for vinyl & for leather. My car originally had red trim, but was painted blue when I got it.

When I re-built the car a few years ago, & removed all the trim I found red underneath.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro
26 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Yes, it was common to paint the trim you could get special paint for vinyl & for leather. By car originally had red trim, but was painted blue when I got it.

When I re-built the car a few years ago, & removed all the trim I found red underneath.

Bob.

Thank you Bob. 

On 6/27/2020 at 12:34 PM, Kiwifrog said:

Hi David

Welcome to owning a sidescreen and to the forum. To help date your 3A,  my car that i imported to france from the US was built on 28 July 1961 and the comission number is TS 783XX-L  (the last two X's are numbers but I dont like giving them away on an open forum) It was registered in the US as a 1962 car. The engine number is about 300 higher than the comission number. I rebuilt the motor to TR4 spec at 2.2 litres and a later head, and as you have found out you cant drive them and not smile.

cheers

Alan

3aChrissie.jpg

Nice car!

16 hours ago, David Owen said:

From what I have looked at these side curtains look original but I ahve been wrong many times before....

Inside of Side Curtain.jpeg

Yes, that is an original side curtain, dzus style for the later TR3's. There are rebuilders on both sides of the atlantic, TRF does a nice job here in the USA.

Stan

2 hours ago, foster461 said:

Yes, that is an original side curtain, dzus style for the later TR3's. There are rebuilders on both sides of the atlantic, TRF does a nice job here in the USA.

Stan

Thanks for the confirmation Stan. 

The deeper I get into this car the more I want to do.  Just waiting for the engine trace to decide on direction because it is definitely not original.

David

Edited by David Owen
4 hours ago, David Owen said:

The deeper I get into this car the more I want to do. 

David, the perspex on your sidescreen looks perfectly serviceable to me, not milky or scratched, and therefore reusable, but rust on the frame and material is another story.

It has been re-covered because it is missing the small strap and also originals had extra bits of material front and back as a token gesture towards draft proofing.

Ralph.

The car has adjustable steering, when I test drove it the horn worked.   When I received it the horn had been wired (about 4 feet of wire) to a switch that was loosely sitting on the passenger seat.  :rolleyes:

I cannot seem to find a combined diagram of the steering and the wiring for the horn.  The indicator switch is still functional.

If someone could please steer me in the right direction to a diagram so I can understand how it is properly set up that would be great. 

Thank you.

Edited by David Owen

David, if you have registered and can log on to the members only part of the site you can access workshop manuals etc from there and should be able to find a wiring diagram. The horn button simply earths out the horns, so a previous owner had problems. Common ones are bad connections right at the steering box end where the column wires join to the main loom, or a poor earth on the stator tube which relies on contact with the gland right at the end of the steering box both to stop the control head turning and provide the path to earth. Others could be poor connection at the control head end or burnt out contacts on the switch. A bit of time spent with a test meter should reveal some answers.

Ralph.

The wiring is shown here:

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr24a.pdf

As you can see there is a brown/black wire which runs up inside the stator tube to the horn push.  if you can locate that wire at the bullet connections at the steering box, earthing it should sound the horn. Perhaps your adjustable column is not providing a good earth.

This may help with the control head  if you need to go that far:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2H2NJt34OffMDVmOTZlZWItYTcyMy00ZDhkLTliOWEtOWU1OWRhNDZhYmRl

Edited by RobH

I should put a little perspective on this.  Up until this point in my life I have never even changed the oil in a car.  So the startling revelation that a Viton grommet was actually a seal was a giant step forward in what should be a rather amusing education process and figuring out why and where the carb was leaking.

Reading a wiring diagram is the next challenge. :P