New 1962, whoops, 1960 TR3 A Owner

On 7/24/2021 at 1:16 PM, David Owen said:

I am sure there are plenty of solutions out there but this is what I did to mount the phone.

Used:

Mounts.jpg.509b6932a7bb4ad2ba59d799e5b08463.jpg

Result:

Mount.jpg.60e58680dffe770786aef65664f99cd4.jpg

So my human GPS, which just happens to include a feature that tells you exactly how to back out of her parent's driveway, doesn't like where my phone sits.  This works out well because when the human GPS is functioning, I don't need the phone because it's just too much input.

That was today's TR lesson.

Edited by David Owen
  • Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plus 1 on David Tushingham Cheftush. nice guy who's has done some restorations of seriously decayed TR's. In Ontario and knows a lot about the cars, can put you onto "Yank" terminology and also s

David, if you have registered and can log on to the members only part of the site you can access workshop manuals etc from there and should be able to find a wiring diagram. The horn button simply ear

Hi David, Nice car, pretty sure that there must be more TR owners in your area. Enjoy the TR! Yves

Posted Images

It is driving season.  What's the fastest speed anyone has had their TR going on road.  I am not looking for a challenge.  Just interested.  Mine was around 75mph last summer.  And I won't be doing that in the whitewalls that I now have installed.

13 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Over 100 back in the 1970's :ph34r:

These days I never go over 70 :lol:

Bob.

I cross the line at aintree at 97

on the road it’s 70 as well :unsure:

Gave mine its head the other day on a quiet stretch of the old A1 near me. It romped up to 80mph, really comes "on song" when the revs go over 3000.  I have never driven a TR with the 3.7 diff, but mine really leaps ahead with the 4.1 fitted.

Ralph.

My old Derrington built 3a would regularly go right off the clock without really trying, Ive had 115 out of my 4a but it was getting very light at that speed, could probably do with the later 6 type air dam.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, David Owen said:

I think the earth just shifted.  For the second time this summer my wife said we should research shipping the car to the UK and driving around for a few weeks.  I will let you know when I come out of shock.

WOW! I wish mine would say that! (Then again, I'm still testing and shaking down).

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, David Owen said:

What does the U-joint sound like just before it blows up?  :lol:

Seriously!

Thanfully, I dont know the answer.

What I do know is that my wife is scared of travelling in our TR3, finds the seat uncomfortable, the engine too noisy (blame the free flow s/s exhaust!) And refuses point blank the very idea of a long journeyy. But she can't complain about the rain, because KST 277 unlike my first TR, doesn't leak at all. Who knows? Maybe this too will change.

54 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

Thanfully, I dont know the answer.

What I do know is that my wife is scared of travelling in our TR3, finds the seat uncomfortable, the engine too noisy (blame the free flow s/s exhaust!) And refuses point blank the very idea of a long journeyy. But she can't complain about the rain, because KST 277 unlike my first TR, doesn't leak at all. Who knows? Maybe this too will change.

My wife loves it.  She gets me all to herself without a radio.  Touring wineries and breweries any weekend we can.  Lunch at 3 pm.  It's hilarious.  I get an amorous glint in my eye and she responds with let's go to.....  Beats the hell out of a headache.  :lol:

11 hours ago, David Owen said:

My wife loves it.  She gets me all to herself without a radio.  Touring wineries and breweries any weekend we can.  Lunch at 3 pm.  It's hilarious.  I get an amorous glint in my eye and she responds with let's go to.....  Beats the hell out of a headache.  :lol:

It's great to hear that! I'd like to say "congratulations", but sounds silly. I'm just glad. Maybe Áine will change or soften up eventually, David, you never know!

1 hour ago, DavidBee said:

It's great to hear that! I'd like to say "congratulations", but sounds silly. I'm just glad. Maybe Áine will change or soften up eventually, David, you never know!

It's all about the destination and having fun on the way.  Once I get the sidescreens restored this winter we will be doing overnighters.  We were going to start this summer but the accuracy of the weather services has deteriorated to below useless.

8 hours ago, David Owen said:

It's all about the destination and having fun on the way.  Once I get the sidescreens restored this winter we will be doing overnighters.  We were going to start this summer but the accuracy of the weather services has deteriorated to below useless.

Yes, a man with a plan! A sidescreen car can be pretty water-tight. Mine is. And if you have a heater. Reconditioned Smiths or a more effective equivalent. I run winter tyres, Bridgestones, good in rain or snow and flexible for good weather. I have installed 1960s Minis spring-loaded wiper blades which are miles better than the originals.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:28 PM, David Owen said:

What does the U-joint sound like just before it blows up?  :lol:

Seriously!

Usually get a clonk when pulling away or slowing down as the drive takes up the slack. When they get really bad you will get a vibration as you accelerate. They have to be really bad before they "blow up".  I have seen some really bad ones that still held together.

Ralph

20 hours ago, David Owen said:

The most accurate app that I have found and importantly, one that is updated very regularly is AccuWeather. 

Miles

2 hours ago, MilesA said:

The most accurate app that I have found and importantly, one that is updated very regularly is AccuWeather. 

Miles

I've started calling a pilot I know for his interpretation of the radar.

6 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Usually get a clonk when pulling away or slowing down as the drive takes up the slack. When they get really bad you will get a vibration as you accelerate. They have to be really bad before they "blow up".  I have seen some really bad ones that still held together.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph.  No clonk, just a rattling when accelerating.  Then it diminishes as the revs settle to a constant RPM.

17 hours ago, David Owen said:

Thanks Ralph.  No clonk, just a rattling when accelerating.  Then it diminishes as the revs settle to a constant RPM.

Worth investigating then. With the handbrake on and the car in gear (without the engine running), try twisting the propshaft to see if there is any play at either end. Sometimes though even worn ones can be quite stiff. When knackered there is usually a tell tale of rust dust on the UJ.

Ralph

20 hours ago, David Owen said:

I've started calling a pilot I know for his interpretation of the radar.

Exhaust rattles at the chassis cruciform when under power on my car.  Cruise is quiet.

2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Exhaust rattles at the chassis cruciform when under power on my car.  Cruise is quiet.

Peter, can you post a few shots of your car? We only ever get a glimpse of the engine bay.

On 8/17/2021 at 1:39 AM, Ralph Whitaker said:

Worth investigating then. With the handbrake on and the car in gear (without the engine running), try twisting the propshaft to see if there is any play at either end. Sometimes though even worn ones can be quite stiff. When knackered there is usually a tell tale of rust dust on the UJ.

Ralph

On 8/17/2021 at 5:06 AM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Thank you both.

On 8/17/2021 at 11:57 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Here are some Pat took at Stratford TRR I

635107CE-B5AB-4DBF-B752-1310F4633FA8.jpeg

Beautifully turned out 3A, Peter.

I'm trying to guess why the rear blinkers are white?