New 1962, whoops, 1960 TR3 A Owner

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plus 1 on David Tushingham Cheftush. nice guy who's has done some restorations of seriously decayed TR's. In Ontario and knows a lot about the cars, can put you onto "Yank" terminology and also s

David, if you have registered and can log on to the members only part of the site you can access workshop manuals etc from there and should be able to find a wiring diagram. The horn button simply ear

Hi David, Nice car, pretty sure that there must be more TR owners in your area. Enjoy the TR! Yves

Posted Images

I need help, I've fallen in love with my dash.  Although it does need a few more screws for the glove box cover.   The car now looks more Canadian with the brighter red.

Also, how far out should the vent pull be in the closed position?

1732083236_DashVentPull.jpg.26a33424c9dcc301f5c7906419ae47eb.jpg

Edited by David Owen
2 hours ago, Lebro said:

Further than that 

162592419275086822016454027809.thumb.jpg.537a964ef87caa4bb6529988bc9354d4.jpg   16259242430415851032337647805363.thumb.jpg.09913e4d194ebf6a3405674204253aae.jpg

Shut                open

Bob

:lol:

35 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

As Bobs says.   So you can get fingers round it.

Peter W

What?  Common sense?

Thank you.

59 minutes ago, David Owen said:

Apparently we are in for a week of rain so it's time to stretch the roof out. 

1020716057_RoofStretch.jpg.5e91a2bcc2e4f496f8b84423d0694a69.jpg

I hope you have not finished fitting the roof !

Bob.

21 minutes ago, Lebro said:

I hope you have not finished fitting the roof !

Bob.

LOL.  No.  I am stretching it.  It's been off all winter when it should have been on to work itself in.  I will slowly push the sticks into position as it stretches.  It's cool here now so I cranked the heat in the garage up to 90C.  It should take a day or two....hopefully.  I could use a hairdryer but apparently heating up the hood to make it fit today isn't as important as spending time with my in-laws.  And then there is the issue of a football game........

• 2 weeks later...

So I am getting the occasional backfire and a pretty regular miss on acceleration.  Cleaned and gapped the plugs, new wires and cap.

Last Sunday I was idling while waiting for someone then took off and I couldn't get power it struggled to accelerate and I had to pull off to the shoulder until it started to run properly.  I had been tearing around for a bit.  Also have a bit of run on.

This should be a tinning issue, correct?

4 hours ago, David Owen said:

So I am getting the occasional backfire and a pretty regular miss on acceleration.  Cleaned and gapped the plugs, new wires and cap.

Last Sunday I was idling while waiting for someone then took off and I couldn't get power it struggled to accelerate and I had to pull off to the shoulder until it started to run properly.  I had been tearing around for a bit.  Also have a bit of run on.

This should be a tinning issue, correct?

Timing could account for the running on, but so could weak mixture.

Timing won`t cure itself as you describe.

I am plagued with the front carb occasionally deciding to flood and when it does I can tell because it doesn`t pull away cleanly, say after slowing for a corner, or stopping at a junction, and I have to dip the clutch and rev the engine to clear the excess fuel. I am wanting to put standard float jets back in but nobody has them at the moment.

Ralph

Dashpot got oil in them ?  otherwise it does sound like weak mixture to me.

Have you tried pulling the choke out to get going, if that works, then richen up the carbs a couple of flats.

Bob

Checking the plugs will tell you if the mixture is weak. 

when I tried changing to a leaner needle, my car started to pop and bang on overrun and stumble on pickup from low revs.

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent
11 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Timing could account for the running on, but so could weak mixture.

Timing won`t cure itself as you describe.

I am plagued with the front carb occasionally deciding to flood and when it does I can tell because it doesn`t pull away cleanly, say after slowing for a corner, or stopping at a junction, and I have to dip the clutch and rev the engine to clear the excess fuel. I am wanting to put standard float jets back in but nobody has them at the moment.

Ralph

10 hours ago, Lebro said:

Dashpot got oil in them ?  otherwise it does sound like weak mixture to me.

Have you tried pulling the choke out to get going, if that works, then richen up the carbs a couple of flats.

Bob

6 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Checking the plugs will tell you if the mixture is weak. 

when I tried changing to a leaner needle, my car started to pop and bang on overrun and stumble on pickup from low revs.

Rgds Ian

Thank you very much.  I will work my way through that list. 

Good drenching in carb cleaner spray for now . Servicing is a winter job. 

Thank you both.

The front carb is leaking from the bottom. 

The carbs are unbalanced and in my highly technical jargon, the front carb makes the red thing go higher.

Seriously though, could the leak at the bottom of the front carb cause a change in the draw of the front carb?