New 1962, whoops, 1960 TR3 A Owner

Theres this though the section of rubber from the main hard line to the front carb could be tidier.

Stuart.

57.jpg

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plus 1 on David Tushingham Cheftush. nice guy who's has done some restorations of seriously decayed TR's. In Ontario and knows a lot about the cars, can put you onto "Yank" terminology and also s

David, if you have registered and can log on to the members only part of the site you can access workshop manuals etc from there and should be able to find a wiring diagram. The horn button simply ear

Hi David, Nice car, pretty sure that there must be more TR owners in your area. Enjoy the TR! Yves

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, David Owen said:

What is that silver line running up past the commission plate?

Brake pipe. Thats a pretty original car.

Stuart.

Another question: :rolleyes:  It looks like the fuel pump is leaking.  I can't seem to find the petrol tap to make replacement that much easier. Am I looking in the right place? There is also oil leaking somewhere below that but one thing at a time!

1234407152_Leakyfuelpump.jpeg.1bb584356d7e7b92c2aa01f0212b15d7.jpeg

On 8/25/2020 at 10:17 PM, foster461 said:

Not critical but the original two tone windtone horns are quite something. When I get my TR3a inspected every year I have to warn the guys at the local garage because it sounds like a semi approaching if you lean on the horn button for more than a second.

Stan

Hey Stan,

Is this the windtone horn you are referring to?:

1561043003_WindHorn.jpeg.0f47081df1bb93d32cac7bb5e036a68d.jpeg

22 minutes ago, David Owen said:

Thank you I will see if I can figure out which one this is and start the hunt for the other one. :)

They are usually marked H & L.  It's embossed on the inside of the trumpet section, at least mine are.

Rgds Ian

PS I can see that the one in the photo is marked H

Edited by Ian Vincent
1 hour ago, David Owen said:

Question:  I don't see anywhere for the clips for the properly routed fuel line to attach. What am I missing?

There is a clip with a grommet under the thermostat housing which supports the front of the petrol pipe. 

clip.jpg.224bd1386fbd184d4c628ac00567676c.jpg

pipe.jpg.e80f1f31e7fda0dcf3c8f387ffbff27b.jpg

The other end screws into the petrol pump lid, so that provides the support for the rear. ( I see yours has a rubber section inserted so you have lost the rear support.) The pipe is rigid enough not to need anything else.

The fuel tap fits between the pipe from the tank and the input to the glass filter bowl. They have often been removed because they can leak and again I see you have a fuel filter there. 

The  oil leak you mention could be from the pump body too. It closes off a hole in the crank-case for the operating arm. 

Edited by RobH

Hey Rob,

I think the fuel tap could be very useful so I am going to install one.  Thanks for pointing out the clip/grommet.  I think I will also put in new copper from the pump to the other side of the thermostat housing as Stuart's picture shows. 

Thank you,

David

15 hours ago, David Owen said:

Thank you I will see if I can figure out which one this is and start the hunt for the other one. :)

Thats the High note horn, has a H in the trumpet. Though you probably figured that out by now.

Ralph.

I am replacing the gaskets on the tail lights because they are pretty rotten and I have realized that the tail lights are upside down. I thought they looked odd.

I need a hole for the wires where should I make one?  It's pretty obvious, I think,  but I hate putting holes in the car.

255919340_Taillightbulkhead.jpeg.46ce14f720e9f74518745e0d6a4db0fa.jpeg1686803192_Taillightassembly.jpeg.2a7363e4d41b8111508460122614dbd6.jpeg

While you have it apart it is not a bad idea to add a ground wire to the rear lamp housings and not just rely on it grounding through the fasteners. There is a terminal on the base for it, just need to run a wire to a a good ground connection in the trunk.

Stan

9 minutes ago, foster461 said:

While you have it apart it is not a bad idea to add a ground wire to the rear lamp housings and not just rely on it grounding through the fasteners. There is a terminal on the base for it, just need to run a wire to a a good ground connection in the trunk.

Stan

Thanks Stan.  Will do.  Your car looks amazing.