New 1962, whoops, 1960 TR3 A Owner

35 minutes ago, David Owen said:

Hi Bob,

Once I have replaced the wiring harness this winter I will be ordering your bulbs.  Thanks for that information.

Here's a newb question, how can I check the displacement of the engine?

David

+1 for Bob's led bulbs 

For the displacement, only real way of knowing for sure is head off. Not worth the hassle. As long as it goes well, I wouldn't touch it. 

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plus 1 on David Tushingham Cheftush. nice guy who's has done some restorations of seriously decayed TR's. In Ontario and knows a lot about the cars, can put you onto "Yank" terminology and also s

David, if you have registered and can log on to the members only part of the site you can access workshop manuals etc from there and should be able to find a wiring diagram. The horn button simply ear

Hi David, Nice car, pretty sure that there must be more TR owners in your area. Enjoy the TR! Yves

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

+1 for Bob's led bulbs 

For the displacement, only real way of knowing for sure is head off. Not worth the hassle. As long as it goes well, I wouldn't touch it. 

Fair enough.  It is running well and the guy that sold it to me swears the rebuild was to TR3B/TR4 specs.

Thank you.

Edited by David Owen
On 8/27/2020 at 9:58 AM, Lebro said:

No, its the only way round it can be, & not backwards.

Bob.

I should pay more attention. While the holes for the studs are the same either way the cover is higher on one side to clear the rocker gear. So while a TR3 or TR4 cover will fit a TR3 they only fit one way.

Stan

On 8/28/2020 at 2:00 PM, Ian Vincent said:

Lubricate the cable with graphite?

Rgds Ian

Thank you.  That worked. 

Is there anything else that you would consider preventive maintenance I should be doing?  As I said earlier, I've neer even changed oil before so this is all new.

This should have them rolling in the aisles.   Is it possible to destroy your fuel gauge and the temperature gauge by dropping a spanner on the rats nest that surrounds the fuse panel and having sparks fly everywhere?

Neither of them are registering anything.  The fuel gauge was not reliable anyway but the temp gauge was somewhat useful.

My guess is I nuked the temperature sensor and whatever a sender is?

And no, I haven't had a drink.....yet.

Edited by David Owen

More likely you have just blown a fuse. The instruments are down - stream  of the voltage source so you couldn't draw any current through them by shorting things at the supply end. 

Sounds as though your temperature gauge has been swapped for an electrical one rather than the original capillary type ? 

2 minutes ago, RobH said:

More likely you have just blown a fuse. The instruments are down - stream  of the voltage source so you couldn't draw any current through them by shorting things at the supply end. 

Sounds as though your temperature gauge has been swapped for an electrical one rather than the original capillary type ? 

I checked the fuses but I will do it again.  Yes, the temp gauge is electrical which explains why the TR Service manual drew a big "HUH?".

Thanks Rob.  The comedy continues......

Edited by David Owen

27 minutes ago, David Owen said:

Yes, the temp gauge is electrical

It might be that your car has been fitted with later type instruments then, in which case you may have a voltage regulator feeding the fuel and temperature gauges.  On the photo you posted there is a strange black block beside the indicator unit. Unfortunately its too indistinct to read the writing on it  - I wonder what that is - and it looks as though there is something else to the right of that too. 

Edited by RobH

Not having a good day then David......

I don't recognise the box with the white stuff in it so that might indeed be an electronic voltage regulator.  That might not have liked the sparks..... 

Edited by RobH
1 hour ago, RobH said:

Not having a good day then David......

I don't recognise the box with the white stuff in it so that might indeed be an electronic voltage regulator.  That might not have liked the sparks..... 

It's always a good day when I am messing with my car.  Some are more expensive than others though.  Learning as we go and the help is very ,much appreciated.

11 hours ago, David Owen said:

Pretty sure it's a voltage stabilizer.  Anyway, I it time for a drive so I can then have a drink.

Look at the wiring diagram on the casing, to me it looks like a standard on-off relay

You are looking at the wrong photo Inge. Yes the thing marked QXVF4-4-12a. is a standard four-terminal SPST relay but it is the other black box shown in the first two photos that is in question. 

Edited by RobH
4 hours ago, RobH said:

You are looking at the wrong photo Inge. Yes the thing marked QXVF4-4-12a. is a standard four-terminal SPST relay but it is the other black box shown in the first two photos that is in question. 

That is the electric fan relay. :D

Excellent - but bear in mind they will be reading high now if the voltage is greater than before. Regulators usually drop the voltage to around 10V and the gauge will (should?) be calibrated to work at that rather than the 13 to 14V they are getting now. 

Edited by RobH
2 hours ago, RobH said:

Excellent - but bear in mind they will be reading high now if the voltage is greater than before. Regulators usually drop the voltage to around 10V and the gauge will (should?) be calibrated to work at that rather than the 13 to 14V they are getting now. 

Thank you.  I will install another one.

14 hours ago, David Owen said:

Moved the fuel line and removed the extra filter.  Critique very welcome.IMG_4149.jpeg.326a21d2829179db3e683f631befe0a0.jpeg

It normally runs up from the pump and then alongside the lower lip of the rocker cover and then round under the thermostat housing and the feed for the vacuum advance on the dizzy runs with it under the thermostat.

Stuart.

59.jpg

2 hours ago, stuart said:

It normally runs up from the pump and then alongside the lower lip of the rocker cover and then round under the thermostat housing and the feed for the vacuum advance on the dizzy runs with it under the thermostat.

Stuart.

59.jpg

Thanks Stuart I was looking for a photo.  Do you have a shot of the other side, please and thank you?  I will need new copper to make it look great so that's going to be  winter project.

I have shortened the top rad hose as well and adjusted the radiator so the bonnet closes properly as well.

Cheers,

David