New 1962, whoops, 1960 TR3 A Owner

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plus 1 on David Tushingham Cheftush. nice guy who's has done some restorations of seriously decayed TR's. In Ontario and knows a lot about the cars, can put you onto "Yank" terminology and also s

David, if you have registered and can log on to the members only part of the site you can access workshop manuals etc from there and should be able to find a wiring diagram. The horn button simply ear

Hi David, Nice car, pretty sure that there must be more TR owners in your area. Enjoy the TR! Yves

Posted Images

1 hour ago, foster461 said:

That assembly comes apart pretty easily and even if you plan to replace the whole thing it would be good to strip it down, check the condition of the bushes, give it a lick of paint and reassemble with some lube.

Stan

Agreed.  It just looked easier to remove the pins, remove the 4 bolts and drop the assembly out and replace it with the modified (and refurbished) assembly. 

Not critical but the original two tone windtone horns are quite something. When I get my TR3a inspected every year I have to warn the guys at the local garage because it sounds like a semi approaching if you lean on the horn button for more than a second.

Stan

When you fitted the LED indicator bulbs, did you fit a matching flasher unit?   The standard bi-metallic one doesn't work with LEDs as it relies on the (much higher)bulb current to function. 

This flasher relay works well with both LED, & normal bulbs :

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/indicator-relays-electronic/products/12v-electronic-indicator-flasher-relay-classic-car-with-oe-click-x-l-p-2-3-pin

If you want better stop / tail bulbs let me know I make them specifically for the lamps used on sidescreen cars.

Bob.

P,S.   TR4 rocker cover ?

Edited by Lebro
10 hours ago, David Owen said:

Anyone who would like to make suggestions leaning toward "correctness" feel free to let me have it!  I will add them to my winter(s) project list.

It's obvious from the photos that someone has been modifying the electrics David. Nothing wrong with doing that but it would bear a thorough check and tidy-up I think to ensure reliability.  Some of those connections by the fusebox look a bit dubious being left un-supported, and there a few wires which appear to have in-line joiners of some kind which are dangling in fresh air.  

10 hours ago, foster461 said:

Not critical but the original two tone windtone horns are quite something. When I get my TR3a inspected every year I have to warn the guys at the local garage because it sounds like a semi approaching if you lean on the horn button for more than a second.

Stan

Thanks Stan I will sort that out.

4 hours ago, RobH said:

When you fitted the LED indicator bulbs, did you fit a matching flasher unit?   The standard bi-metallic one doesn't work with LEDs as it relies on the (much higher)bulb current to function. 

Yes, they came with a triple connection relay.

4 hours ago, Lebro said:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/indicator-relays-electronic/products/12v-electronic-indicator-flasher-relay-classic-car-with-oe-click-x-l-p-2-3-pin

If you want better stop / tail bulbs let me know I make them specifically for the lamps used on sidescreen cars.

Bob.

Thanks Bob.  It is a bit weird, the signals work properly when the ignition is turned on but the car is not running.  When I start the car and test them they go into this random flash mode, sometimes quickly, sometimes with a big delay between flashes.  I regrounded everything last night but it din't have any positive impact.

3 hours ago, RobH said:

It's obvious from the photos that someone has been modifying the electrics David. Nothing wrong with doing that but it would bear a thorough check and tidy-up I think to ensure reliability.  Some of those connections by the fusebox look a bit dubious being left un-supported, and there a few wires which appear to have in-line joiners of some kind which are dangling in fresh air.  

I'll say!  It's my biggest concern and has me thinking I should install a completely new harness myself so I know where everything is and what condition it is in.  Not to mention tidying it up. 

On another note the oil pressure tube looks like it was pulled on by a two year old but at this point I am leery of messing with that.

26 minutes ago, David Owen said:

It's my biggest concern and has me thinking I should install a completely new harness myself so I know where everything is and what condition it is in.  Not to mention tidying it up. 

+1 :rolleyes:

Either that or check it over methodically, since you know how to do that. Dodgy electrics are conducive to engine bay fire, shorts...

10 minutes ago, David Owen said:

Should I be concerned about any mismatch between a TS717xx car and a TS303xx engine when purchasing a wiring harness?

No

Stuart.

7 hours ago, Lebro said:

Bob.

Hi Bob,

I will take your word for it on the rocker cover.  It wouldn't surprise me as there wasn't any attention paid to accuracy on a lot of things I am discovering.  The RV mirror is an early one, the headlights are Marchal, the plastic caps on the doors are the original blue even thought the interior has been changed to red, the fuel gauge is ineffective at best, there are some terrible welds at the front of the door frames, white paint on the side of the driver's seat and I am sure there will be other things as I go along.  It all smacks of sloppiness. 

On the other hand I am having a lot of fun driving it and have a very enjoyable learning experience ahead so putting things as right as possible will be fun.

Cheers,

David

PS I ordered the relay you recommended.  Are the lights you make LED?  With all the pick up trucks on the road in North America it is critical to be seen.

Edited by David Owen
16 hours ago, David Owen said:

I will take your word for it on the rocker cover.  It wouldn't surprise me as there wasn't any attention paid to accuracy on a lot of things I am discovering.  The RV mirror is an early one, the headlights are Marchal, the plastic caps on the doors are the original blue even thought the interior has been changed to red, the fuel gauge is ineffective at best, there are some terrible welds at the front of the door frames, white paint on the side of the driver's seat and I am sure there will be other things as I go along.  It all smacks of sloppiness. 

On the other hand I am having a lot of fun driving it and have a very enjoyable learning experience ahead so putting things as right as possible will be fun.

David

That is probably not surprising and quite common on a car that is 50 years old. If they survived, they were cheap vehicles run on a budget before they became the desirable classics that they are now. My own 3A was restored by a TR enthusiast some 15 years ago but the list of short cuts, lack of attention to detail and down right bodges I unearth never fails to surprise.

Miles 

3 hours ago, MilesA said:

David

That is probably not surprising and quite common on a car that is 50 years old. If they survived, they were cheap vehicles run on a budget before they became the desirable classics that they are now. My own 3A was restored by a TR enthusiast some 15 years ago but the list of short cuts, lack of attention to detail and down right bodges I unearth never fails to surprise.

Miles 

All part of the challenge. :)

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

No, its the only way round it can be, & not backwards.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

Once I have replaced the wiring harness this winter I will be ordering your bulbs.  Thanks for that information.

Here's a newb question, how can I check the displacement of the engine?

David