Suggestions welcome. I’ve tried all the obvious things. In the garage it sits there and barely comes up to temp. But on the road after about 5 minutes temperature goes off the end. Electric fan kicks in but doesn’t cope. It’s not the thermostat, water pump, radiator. Before replacing FO8 gaskets it worked fine. So I don’t think it’s modern thermostat/bypass hose thing. And yes the fan does blow the right way. JJC

Possible airlock, timing, mixture, water pump impeller broken

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi JJC,

the engine will be using/ more power when driving than simply sitting - even at the same rpm.

So assuming all the indications are about correct then perhaps it is the engine that is generating this extra heat.

What is your timing like?

What is your mixture like?

An weak, mixture with advanced  spark will make more heat than a rich/retarded  combination.

Roger

hi jjc,

you had the thermostat out and you see some millimeters coolant in the rad and also in the opened thermostat housing?

Then the water pump is below the coolant level and when it starts spinning there is no air trapped anywhere.

This pump is a M-O-N-S-T-E-R and not a toy pump like in your house central heating.

It smashes the air out and keeps it in the flow

Ciao, Marco

4 hours ago, JJC said:

Suggestions welcome. I’ve tried all the obvious things. In the garage it sits there and barely comes up to temp. But on the road after about 5 minutes temperature goes off the end. Electric fan kicks in but doesn’t cope. It’s not the thermostat, water pump, radiator. Before replacing FO8 gaskets it worked fine. So I don’t think it’s modern thermostat/bypass hose thing. And yes the fan does blow the right way. JJC

When did you replace  the Fig 8 seals ?  Has the head been re-torqued since then?

Have you 'burped' the middle radiator hose? - squeeze the middle hose with the radiator cap off a few times to try to expel any trapped air.  Worth doing when the engine is ticking over but keep hands clear of the rotating bits.

If you have a modern thermostat Is the bypass hose blocked totally with a plug?  Is there a 1/4" (6mm) to 5/16" (8mm ) bleed hole through it?  It needs a bleed hole to get the air from the pump up to the thermostat housing.

Cheers

Peter W

I haven’t retorqued the head yet, because of the overheating problem it hasn’t done any miles. The thermostat has the bleed hole, but no mods to bypass hose, no plug. But it all worked fine for several years whilst the FO8 seals were busy rusting away. Didn’t  do anything to the head when putting Fo8s in properly just put it all back because it was ok before and had only a few years use after rebuild. It didn’t overheat before with same thermostat and pump. Reason I took the pump off to check it was because running it in the garage the top of the rad was hot but the bottom not so hot. Thermostat and pump both test ok. Put it back together and try again? JJC

Does only the gauge show you overheating?

Or does the engine boil an throw boiling water and steam out?

Or what else happens?

Top of the rad hot and bottom not so hot is exactly the thing you want from a radiator - so why do you worry?

7 hours ago, Z320 said:

Does only the gauge show you overheating?

Or does the engine boil an throw boiling water and steam out?

Or what else happens?

Top of the rad hot and bottom not so hot is exactly the thing you want from a radiator - so why do you worry?

Gauge runs at 185 then rapidly climbs to maximum. Engine then runs very badly, then stops given half a chance. JJC

Maybe sludge from the water jacket got dislodged when you were doing the figure of eight seals and is now partially blocking the rad - you could try reverse flushing the rad t0 see if that makes any difference and whilst you are at it, you might as well use a cleaning/descaling agent.

Cheers Rich

Yes the engine is clean internally. I’ll put it back together and try and fill with no air and deal with middle hose and see what happens. Really annoying because whilst the FO8 seals were rusting away it ran just fine! JJC

5 hours ago, trchris said:

Hi

Have you tried removing the heater hose from the valve connect a filler  hose to the valve and fill the top of the head that way ?

Chris

+1  That is another method I use when refilling from drained.  I run the cold unpressurised (rad cap off) engine with that hose disconnected for a short while to spill out any air.  I also have a bleed valve in the back of the thermostat housing.

Last year in a rush I forgot to vent the cooling system and the car boiled inside of 15 minutes on the road.

Peter W

My understanding of the TR4 cooling system is that the bypass system, peculiar to the TR4/4A, is to allows the engine to quickly reach temperature by allowing the  water to circulate  around the engine only with the thermostat closed. Once operating temperature is reached, the original  ' BELLOWS TYPE thermostat opens to allow the water to flow through the radiator, but also closes off the bypass,  and permits  full flow through the radiator.

If a non bellows cheap thermostat is used, without blocking off the bypass with a plug with a bleed hole in it,  then water will STILL FLOW through the bypass system once the this style of thermostat opens, and the water will overheat and the engine will get too hot.

The  original style bellows are I believe still available but expensive, £85, but is the way the system was designed!

Running the engine without a thermostat with the bypass still open will only reduce the time the engine reaches operating temperature, not cure overheating.

Suggest check which thermostat is fitted  and check if bypass is plugged if non bellows type is being used.

Rich

Not peculiar to 4 / 4A, same is true for all the 4 pot engines.

Bellows type thermostats can be found for a lot less than the figure you quote at autojumbles, ebay  etc.

The partial blocking of the bypass circuit seems to be a popular alternative however.

Bob.