When I bought my long door TR2 it came with three sway bars that as far as I know had never been fitted to the car, and a box of bits.

I would like to know if anyone can identify the bits and how the bar might attach to the car. I think the middle of the three bars is the one for a TR2, the clamps are in the right position and the ends line up closely to the end bolt on the wishbone.

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

^ + 1  Suspiciously like a Dolomites which is what I used.

Mick Richards

8 hours ago, Lebro said:

The left hand one in the last photo (bottom one in previous photo ) is a rear anti roll (sway) bar.

(I know, I've got one like it)

658612313_Viewunder.thumb.jpg.624005e6651b2ad4f09f6c58c5c82bf7.jpg

Thanks Bob. How have you attached the ends on yours?

Does it make an appreciable difference to the handling in normal i.e. spirited driving?

Edited by John McCormack

I don't recognise the brackets or two of the bars but the simplest bar, with only two bends, looks like an "original" SAH bar that was fitted by Triumph-tune, dealers et al.  The fittings seem to be present except the two steel cages that hold the two split square rubber blocks to the also missing (!) brackets that are secured to the chassis by the 4 bumper-iron bolts. I can send pictures of this installed if you would like. To be certain, measure the distance between the eye centres. The two vertical bolts replace two of the lower wish bone bolts that connect the spring pan.

Mike

8 minutes ago, mikej said:

I don't recognise the brackets or two of the bars but the simplest bar, with only two bends, looks like an "original" SAH bar that was fitted by Triumph-tune, dealers et al.  The fittings seem to be present except the two steel cages that hold the two split square rubber blocks to the also missing (!) brackets that are secured to the chassis by the 4 bumper-iron bolts. I can send pictures of this installed if you would like. To be certain, measure the distance between the eye centres. The two vertical bolts replace two of the lower wish bone bolts that connect the spring pan.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Photos would be great if you could. I would like to put these on my daily driver TR2 if I can figure out how.

11 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Thanks Bob. How have you attached the ends on yours?

Does it make an appreciable difference to the handling in normal i.e. spirited driving?

1943364593_Springplateweldedtospringpan.thumb.jpg.b097fa33bf3e510a90d27673114db58c.jpg 1717611004_Springpanfitted.thumb.jpg.969ce85ba990ac24c44b5a8802fb4d90.jpg  2041721346_Springplatebeforeafter.thumb.jpg.c88fb40bba5e6b93ab0508cba9480ec1.jpg

As supplied they give you the rectangular plate ( far left photo) which you are supposed to slide over one end of one of the 'U' bolts.

1st problem was that the plate interfered with a bolt head on the chassis (holding the rebound strap), so it had to be modified to clear.

2nd problem was that I did not trust the single nut on the 'U' bolt to hold everything in place, so I removed the spring plate, & welded the modified bracket to it.

The bar end fits between two rubber blocks mounted on a vertical bolt as shown in photos.

It was made by Bastuk by the way.

Bob

John

this shows the front set up

the connection to the wishbones are a box bracket the attach “around” the wishbones.

others have come up with their own arrangements.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/media/pdf/TT3181_instructions.pdf

Just now, Hamish said:

John

this shows the front set up

the connection to the wishbones are a box bracket the attach “around” the wishbones.

others have come up with their own arrangements.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/media/pdf/TT3181_instructions.pdf

Thats for a TR4 a TR2/3/3A one is narrower.

Stuart.

4 minutes ago, stuart said:

Thats for a TR4 a TR2/3/3A one is narrower.

Stuart.

Agreed but shows the principle.

18 hours ago, Hamish said:

Agreed but shows the principle.

It is the same method as the TR6 standard fitting. 

I think the two black brackets, one with the link attached, are meant for the front bar. They attach to the two outboard front spring pan/wishbone bolts and the link goes in the bracket. The slotted holes allow it to be adjusted to suit.

18 hours ago, Lebro said:

1943364593_Springplateweldedtospringpan.thumb.jpg.b097fa33bf3e510a90d27673114db58c.jpg 1717611004_Springpanfitted.thumb.jpg.969ce85ba990ac24c44b5a8802fb4d90.jpg  2041721346_Springplatebeforeafter.thumb.jpg.c88fb40bba5e6b93ab0508cba9480ec1.jpg

As supplied they give you the rectangular plate ( far left photo) which you are supposed to slide over one end of one of the 'U' bolts.

1st problem was that the plate interfered with a bolt head on the chassis (holding the rebound strap), so it had to be modified to clear.

2nd problem was that I did not trust the single nut on the 'U' bolt to hold everything in place, so I removed the spring plate, & welded the modified bracket to it.

The bar end fits between two rubber blocks mounted on a vertical bolt as shown in photos.

It was made by Bastuk by the way.

Bob

Thanks Bob. This might take a bit of thinking. I haven't found anything like these parts.

What I have not shown is the clamp arrangement which provides the pivots on the chassis.

860759025_Viewunder.thumb.jpg.d892850dd3cbe1f443c96e1673b4701e.jpg You can just see it on the right of this photo  1801294263_Silencerclearance.thumb.jpg.ed62064df00e56c7c1a5905d227ed676.jpg

Also, if you are running with 2 silencers, the bar tries to run right through the rear one ! I had to reverse the rear box, & seriously modify the pipework linking the two boxes.

Here is  a web page showing the ADDCO bar which mine was based on I believe

http://trf.zeni.net/webcatalog/specials6.21/19.php

Bob.

ohn,

As promised, two pictures showing how the SAH (TBC) anti sway-bar is fitted to a TR2/3.  Not proud of the state of paint work under my car but it is what it is! It's all original except the (2) round aluminium clamps and nylon washers just visible by the cage. These were added by me to stop the bar drifting in the rubber clamps. Note that they are square (as the rubber bushes are in your photo) - if you can't get or make the the U-bolt cages then the round ones as used in the kits etc will suffice with a suitable poly bush.  

FYI, the SAH bar is 5/8" and the Triumph alternative was 9/16". I'm not sure which one was available first, something sticks that it was SAH.

droplink lowres.jpg

cage support lowres.jpg