Oiling the old Trunnions

I know I read it somehwere but too tired to scan through all of the posts. Which oild do we now use for oiling trunnions. I'm sure I have some old Castrol gearbox oil somewhere but what is the best 'modern' oil to use and no I'm not going to use grease :)

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Jase said:

I know I read it somehwere but too tired to scan through all of the posts. Which oild do we now use for oiling trunnions. I'm sure I have some old Castrol gearbox oil somewhere but what is the best 'modern' oil to use and no I'm not going to use grease :)

Thanks in advance

Too tired ? poor thing ! EP90 ?

Mick Richards

I use steering box semi fluid grease

https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/big-healey/oils-lubricants/steering-box-lube.aspx

As Mick says the oil will leak out more readily than a grease.

Cheers

Peter W

In my opinion more the matter than which oil (or grease) is to do it regularly.

Ups, that reminds me to do it! Thank you for your question. One year passes by so fast.

My trunnions are sealed by the producer.

Edited by Z320

I have been using Castrol LM grease on trunnions and every other grease point on TRs for 60 years.

Unlike oil, grease won't seep out.

The important thing is to grease regularly in order to expel the old and to ensure that the moving parts are lubricated.

Ian Cornish

EP90 for me... I have a dedicated oil gun for the job (can be picked up for a few quid) - I’ve done this since I was 16 with Heralds, Spitfires and TR.

...... Andy 

Oil for me been using it for 20 years in the same trunnions every year, no special gun needed , just remove nipple stick oil can spout in hole and squirt.

Protect disc and floor as necessary .Never had any problems

Dave