My TR6 has been used sparingly for last few years. This spring I replaced the master cylinder, new calipers and slave cylinders. New silicone fluid. Bled brakes and effective if slightly spongy on local test drives.  First 30 minute journey today. All ok outward. Return journey with scenic detour,  about half way back when pedal became hard and no travel at all and felt as if brakes binding. Handbrake felt normal. Stopped for petrol. All four wheels felt hot. Started drive home and brakes back to normal for final 15 minutes. Need to check them out but not sure where to start. Ideas welcome please.

I had a similar problem when I first had my car....except mine would get to the state that the wheels wouldn't turn.  If my memory is right, it was something in the master cylinder that had corroded and was occasionally stopping fluid flowing back when the pedal was released.  I'm afraid it was a long time ago and can't remember the exact details.  I have just done a search through my old posts from 2004 and it seems that the solution was to replace the master cylinder.  

Dave.

Edited by Dave Herrod
New information

Tipping valve on master cylinder not returning, some aftermarket master cylinders dont like silicon fluid.

Stuart.

12 hours ago, Dave Herrod said:

I had a similar problem when I first had my car....except mine would get to the state that the wheels wouldn't turn.  If my memory is right, it was something in the master cylinder that had corroded and was occasionally stopping fluid flowing back when the pedal was released.  I'm afraid it was a long time ago and can't remember the exact details.  I have just done a search through my old posts from 2004 and it seems that the solution was to replace the master cylinder.  

Dave.

Thanks for response .. master cylinder is new, but could be a fault

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Tipping valve on master cylinder not returning, some aftermarket master cylinders dont like silicon fluid.

Stuart.

Thanks .. useful thought.. I had fitted new seals but could be the problem