Hi,

Can anyone suggest how I can adjust the distance between the engine bay firewall and the mountings for the bonnet hinges? And also, what that distance should be?

My TR6 has been in at least 2 front end crunches. As a result, the bonnet is pushed right up against the edge of the engine bay parallel to the windscreen, even though the hinges are bolted as far forward as possible (with widened holes in the hinges to give even more room). It seems that the length of the inner front panels, from firewall to front grille, has been compressed - by almost as much as 1 inch.

The car is currently disassembled for a body-off restoration (and conversion to RHS).

Thank you,

Paul

IMG_6977.JPG

IMG_6978.JPG

Apart from the very front chassis to body mount looking to be slightly out there doesnt look to be that much damage to me,Have you checked your chassis too? Look in the area on the side of the chassis just below where the turret support bars join the main chassis legs, if you have a dent there then thats not good. Do the engine bay mounts on the turret supports line up?

Stuart.

As said, there is no obvious damage, so make sure your measurements/thought are correct.

I had some wrinkles in the rear inner wings, which shortened the rear end. By flattening these, part of the required correction was already achieved, just some minor pulling was needed after that.
Waldi

Paul - are you sure you haven't got a long bonnet? Might be worth checking dimensions of that or trying a different bonnet.

Not sure how you would have a "long" bonnet, but it would probably have been replaced at least once with its accident history and who knows what repro panels were like in the US.

Cheers Rich

Hi Paul

As said shell looks fine. Don't think they were ever built with any great finesse!

The gap at the bonnet/firewall on mine is 4mm with the paint on. The gap bonnet sides/wings 4mm the front end of the wings/bonnet at front end was level on one side and over by 4mm on the other so I cut/shut the edge of the bonnet to fit.

You could gain more from the hinges by taking some off the front edges of the hinge to allow them to butt up against the valance and then open up the slots for the bolts to the inner wing should give you 6-8mm maybe more to open the firewall gap but as said mine is set at 4mm.

Andy 

Front end damage is usually pretty obvious unless its been skilfully repaired before, often looking like this.

Stuart

Tonys TR6 094.jpg

Tonys TR6 097.jpg

Tonys TR6 100.jpg

Thank you all for your comments, guidance and questions. Really very helpful. It is so good to not be alone in my restoration! 

I hadn't thought of the possibility of a long bonnet - it certainly could be given the car's US heritage. Over the years of my ownership, I have corrected  several US-style 'alteration's and bodge jobs...

The chassis is earmarked for a complete renovation by a TR professional - it is not in the straightest of condition.

Thank you for the photos and the measurements - always invaluable.