Max width of tyres

I have a set of TR6 wheels fitted to my 4A, always liked these and I’ll keep them on the car. What tyres do you normally fit, I currently have 195/65/15s (Dunlop) fitted. How much wider can I go and do you fit different widths to feont and rear? Like a Porsche.

7C066EBF-5292-411A-B2F6-28B77C4556F1.thumb.jpeg.22956ed537ca27d4b35a3504a95fc27e.jpeg Thanks 

Edited by Jase
12 minutes ago, Jase said:

I have a set of TR6 wheels fitted to my 4A, always liked these and I’ll keep them on the car. What tyres do you normally fit, I currently have 195/65/15s (Dunlop) fitted. How much wider can I go and do you fit different widths to feont and rear? Like a Porsche.

7C066EBF-5292-411A-B2F6-28B77C4556F1.thumb.jpeg.22956ed537ca27d4b35a3504a95fc27e.jpeg Thanks 

How much wider can I go and do you fit different widths to front and rear?

We've seen 205 sections go on the 5.5 wheels, which are then normally smartly removed, (I tried it and took them off), the ride and handling not being as good as the 195 or even 165 section IMHO. As for different tyre widths front to rear,... no you shouldn't run on different sized wheels and tyres front to rear it's illegal (technical info available but I'm bored quoting it). 

Mick Richards 

Personally I wouldn't go any wider than 195. I have 195/60x15 fitted to 6" wire wheels at the moment, but I have also used 195/65x15.

I have found wider tyres tend to roll off the rim on hard cornering which rips the edges off the tread and actually reduces the amount of grip available.

IIRC some TR6 rims were 6 inch, some were 5.5 inch.

One of my Stags came with 195/65x15 on 5.5J rims and it was distinctly wobbly. The same car on 195/65x15 was totally different (these wheels and tyres actually came off my TR when I refitted the wires.

Neil

Great, thanks guys, just checking. I like the look and ride. I guess it is not illegal to fit different size widths front and back if your front wheels are a different width.

3 minutes ago, Jase said:

Great, thanks guys, just checking. I like the look and ride. I guess it is not illegal to fit different size widths front and back if your front wheels are a different width.

Jeeez you're on a roll here Jase (see what I did there).

Just to make it clear if your front wheel are 5.5 j and your rear wheels are 6 j it's pick your penitentiary time no matter what tyres you fit on them. Let me attach a little write up which may explain it.

Wheel and tyre Type approval.docx 

Mick Richards

10 hours ago, Jase said:

Thanks guys, they sit well on the car, so I'm very happy with them. Any preference on make?

Yokohama are a popular choice.

Stuart.

195/65/15 is as wide as you want to go on a 5.5j rim.  Any wider (205), and the tyre just overspills the rim, and you get overhang of the tyre, and a lot of tyre flex.

You can buy TR6 wheels now in 6j format (Weller wheels). Rimmer Bros & MOSS sell them. Circa £150 a piece.

Tyre choice: You cannot go far wrong with Uniroyal Rainsport tyres. Circa £60 a corner, fully INC.  Take a look at the reviews, phenomenal grip wet or dry, and readily available.

Compound is soft, but you will be amazed with the grip.

Cheers.

I had 195/65 Michelin Pilot Exaltos on 6" Panasport wheels for over 40K miles. Along the way I found that 1/2" of tread was hanging in the breeze at both edges at 25 psi. 

It now has 185/70VR15 Michelin XWX which grip better and give crisper steering. The price will be a deterrent for most, and I don't think they'll go past 30K miles ( halfway there now ).

My concourse car had 185 Michelin XAS with the 3.7:1 diff. Phenomenal grip nothing I've had including Pirelli, Avon, Dunlop and the above came anywhere near. Too bad they're NLA, but you can get 180s. It now has the Michelin XVS in the same size but I'm not happy about the stone collecting tread ( grip is fine of course ).

For a TR4 it would have to be the 165 or 180 XAS if it were mine.

Tom