Hello, just become the owner of a 1955 TR2

Hi all, 

to introduce myself, I am John and based in Orpington Kent. Today, I became the owner of a very straight 1955 TR2, after wanting one for quite some time. 

The car hasn’t been started in many years, approx 15-20. It’s remarkably solid, needs a good polish up, but no rust thankfully! 

since it’s been sitting a long while, I was hoping someone could let me know any local(ish) companies or persons, who could get it all up and running for me, complete service etc ? I am based in Orpington Kent. 

Looking forward to joining the club and getting involved. Thanks again and best,

John 

8F109FF2-BA1E-4A4B-B4BD-A484DDF9559C.jpeg

Welcome.

Have you driven very far in the car yet?

Home servicing is not a major task given basic imperial tools and somewhere to do it, as the cars are quite simple.(compared to more modern classics)  Lots of advice and help on here.

Cheers

Peter W

Welcome, John

Smashing TR2, at first glance.

Judging from the louvered bonnet, and the original twin driving lights, looks like it may have some interesting mods. Can you take a picture of the engine bay? Quite curious. The badge bar is in a fairly unusual position too.

Someone told me that if you look up the serial number on any AA badge online, you will get the name of the AA member. In this case, might be an early previous owner.

Many thanks all for your lovely comments. I’m looking forward to getting stuck into it and enjoying it. Any advice you have, or any history/ notable bits / differences / add ons on the car, please let me know; I’m certainly no expert on these little bars, but I’m keen to learn! 

Thanks! All I can see from the photograph is that you have what look like the original 1 3/4 inch SU H6 carburettors, and the brass plate on the bulkhead is either the body or engine plate. The body plate starts with the letters EB the engine no. plate with TS. The wiper motor is the later 3A one, and the clutch and master cylinder is also a later assembly from a 3A. It has a wired regulator box which means it's running on the original dynamo and judging from the shiny paintwork in the inner wings and bulkhead, seems to have undergone a serious restoration at some point. Because of the louvred bonnet, I was expecting a competition 4 into 1 exhaust extractor. But it's hard to tell. Any photos of the cockpit?

31 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

look like the original 1 3/4 inch SU H6 carburettors,

Surely 1 1/2 H4  for a TR2 ?  Looks like a low-port head so that is right but those domed head nuts are a bit fancy. 

Well, what these photos confirm is that the car was restored at one point. Its bonnet must have been very badly rusted or accident-damaged, because you have a later two-slot bonnet. Even the late TR2s as far as I can recall, were equipped with a four-slot bonnet.

The instrument panel has two extra switches on the far right hand side (and additional dash lights to the ones fitted to the centre panel), looks like you might have overdrive, with a TR2 push/pull switch, plus two more switches there, probably for the auxiliary driving lights. 

The gaps between door and scuttle cappings often don't line up, but yours do.

The seats are the right design. They might clean up very nicely. No tears! And not much wear. Bit of mildew is all. 

The sidescreen fittings should be wedge, not dzus which were fitted much later to 3As. And for a TR2, the sidescreens were made of a single sheet stitched in, with an impractical zip below, to graze your hand when you tried to get in the car with hood and screens up. These are the later, more practical, TR3 and 3A ones, with a wider frame and sliding windows.

You'd want to twist the petrol cap release either left (my preference), or right. Because in that position it will soon mark the boot lid paintwork (mine did). The bulkhead should have bolts for aeroscreens. I think it has. The grab handle for a TR2 would be slimmer, tapered, and painted black. Not that it really matters.

It looks pretty sound to me. Looks like it may have been stored in a dry, musty place.

And the sign says "Auction Entry" the other way round. I wonder which? B)

Edited by DavidBee
6 minutes ago, RobH said:

Surely 1 1/2 H4  for a TR2 ?  Looks like a low-port head so that is right but those domed head nuts are a bit fancy. 

Yes, I stand corrected. 1/4-inch and low-port head. The dash pots look like they have chrome covers. Not sure though.

Thanks again David for the info, this is very helpful! Yes, was in auction, Mathew and Sons. Previously owned for many years by a chap that sadly passed away. It was left to his son in law, who apparently never drove it, or even got it out the garage for quite some years until the auction. 

Agree with most comments above.

TR2 seats, TR3A sidescreens & fittings, TR3A wiper motor (TR2 would have been smaller, & on the other side), TR3 - 3A master cylinders,

TR3 Carbs (1 3/4" H6)   Would be interested in the boot locking hardware - single central handle (TR3A) , or central lock & 2 X side coach key fasteners (TR2 / TR3)

But it does look lovely, hope it runs as good as it looks.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Ignore me when I say what about the rear valance and boot? It's just me being obssessive. I can't help wondering which type it is. My general sense is that this TR was much loved and used and well-cared for. Looks like you've got yourself a real bargain. After such a long time, for the sake of safety and reliability, you'd want to replace the hoses, and fuel pipes and other perishables, of course. But the main thing is that it looks a solid enough sidescreen TR.

I wonder if, when you go to buy a car from Mathew and Son, they give you a cup of cold coffee and a piece of cake while you are waiting.

I notice there is a “TR register “ sticker on the windscreen. Maybe the register can provide more information on the car’s history.

Charlie.

I have a suspicion this might be an early 3A with a 2 nose.

High port head, 1 3/4" SUs, 3A wiper motor, Girling brakes including front discs, 3A bonnet, white piping on the seats, 3A sidescreen brackets. All could be fitted later but there seems to be too much.

What is the Commission number?

Super looking car.... 

However, I tend  to agree with Bob and John above, lots of indicators to being a 3(A).... 2 would also not have the shiny wing beading and chrome grab handle for passenger etc.....

Numbers will shed more light....Sure to have interesting past ......and now a future...

Tony