Hi Everyone. I hope this finds everyone well!

I have just fitted TR4A seats to my 1964 TR4. The car was fitted with Moss seats previously. I have 2 queries:

1)  The seats seem to require moderately long legs! I can reach the pedals fine, but the runners are against the forward stops, so someone with shorter legs probably couldn't reach. Is this typical? The runners are properly bolted down through the captive nuts.

2) I need to fit the device to stop the seats tilting forward, but have little idea from oarts catalogues of exactly what the parts look like and how the release works. Can anyone supply clear photos of the set up please, and a simple description of how it works?

Yours in hope      Willie

Hi Willie,

I assume you are using the TR4A seat runners. I sold my 4A in 1987 , but I’m quite sure that the seat runners are the same as TR5 / 6 except that the 4A version does not have an anti- tip plates on the runners. There are also anti-tip catches on the TR5/6 seats. 
To hopefully help I attach some photos showing the TR6 seat as far forward as it will go , the catch plates on the runner and the catch on the seat base. 
Perhaps the TR4A version can be modified ? 
Ian

1767B2EB-E26D-49C2-B7A1-D9798580504F.jpeg

Many thanks Ian. Yes, the runners came with the seats. All I have is per attached photos - I have no idea what the whole release assembly looks like or how it is installed / operated!

I prefer to use the original set up if possible.

Willie

1. Seat release springs.JPG

2. Rubber bump stops.JPG

3. Runners.JPG

Looking at the pictures my guess is the black clips slide under the rubber buffers and then are adjusted in and out to clip over the back of the runners. Some more knowledgeable on TR4A will be along soon I’m sure.

Ian

Thanks again Ian. When I collected the seats on Thursday, the seller mentioned something like that, but I assumed it would all make sense when i did the installation.  As you say, hopefully someone with direct knowledge will clarify!

Best wishes   Willie

That's my conundrum Pete! I just can't get my head round how the system operated! I think I answered my previous comment. Wording in DVLA guide to car tests includes

"2.7 Seats

These will be inspected to check that:

·         the driver’s seat can be adjusted

·         all seats are securely fitted and that seat backs can be fixed in the upright position".

Perhaps this doesn't apply to Historic Vehicles?  Do you  have a photo of the seat clip set up you could share? Also, I'd be interested in any response to my original Q about leg length!

Willie

Willie, I can't share a photo as I didn't fit the clips as they seemed pointless. As Ian suggested they go between the rubber and the seat frame.

Most two-door cars up until at least the seventies had tip-up seats with no restraining device. I suspect the text you quoted from the test manual "seat backs can be fixed in the upright position" is referring to reclining seats, which could be very dangerous if they reclined in an accident and allowed tho occupant of the seat to slide under the seatbelt.

Regarding the leg length, aren't there another set of holes in your runners to allow them to be bolted down in a position further forward?

Pete

1 minute ago, stillp said:

Regarding the leg length, aren't there another set of holes in your runners to allow them to be bolted down in a position further forward?

Looking again at your photo, one side of your runners appears to be bolted in the forward hole and the other in the rearward hole!

Pete

Mistake

Edited by Paul J
Mistake

Good points!  As to the spare hole in the runner, the holes utilised align with the captive nuts in the floor pan. There is one "extra" hole in one runner on both seats. There are no extra holes at the front on either runner. I just wondered if those of you familiar with the proper seats agreed  that you need long(ish) legs. 31" inside leg in my case, so not tall!

I must admit, I did wonder if the extra hole, being in the outer runner and so accessible from outside the car, had anything to do with the device to hold the seat down. It does make sense that the MoT item wouldn't apply to a 56 yo car! If I don't do anything, I'll find out at next year's MoT!

Willie