Nice, like the shape of the door mirrors too..

Can I ask what size tyres you have fitted.? .Im finding the 185's on my 4 are just catching the wheel arch lips on the fronts on a bumpy road..

Nigel H

3 hours ago, NigelH said:

Can I ask what size tyres you have fitted.? .Im finding the 185's on my 4 are just catching the wheel arch lips on the fronts on a bumpy road..

Nigel H

If they do your suspension must be quite low. What wheels are you using?

Stuart

Hi Stuart

5.5 wires, with 185's as mentioned, the wires aren't centre laced so have a bit more offset.

PO fitted uprated front springs, that sit the car an inch or so lower than std. There is 1 1/2" from arch to tyre looking side in. The back looks about the same as Marks, but front is about an inch lower.

Doesn't happen all the time, only bumpy sharper corners..

I have the original springs in the garage.

Just thought 165s might give a little more clearance

3 minutes ago, NigelH said:

Hi Stuart

5.5 wires, with 185's as mentioned, the wires aren't centre laced so have a bit more offset.

PO fitted uprated front springs, that sit the car an inch or so lower than std. There is 1 1/2" from arch to tyre looking side in. The back looks about the same as Marks, but front is about an inch lower.

It might but I think I would be inclined to put the thicker poly insulators on the springs instead.

Stuart.

Stuart,

Thanks for the idea..

Hadn't thought of that..would you know a source for the thicker insulators?

Nigel H

46 minutes ago, NigelH said:

Stuart,

Thanks for the idea..

Hadn't thought of that..would you know a source for the thicker insulators?

Nigel H

This is where I buy mine from https://www.superflex.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=SF378-1028%2B5K

Stuart.

Mark

Could you tell me where you got your mirrors and if possible the model. Do they work well and do you have flat or convex glass? Sorry for so many questions

Andy

On 6/5/2020 at 12:27 PM, NigelH said:

Nigel H

185 65's.  I'm quite low as you can see in the pic' but no rubbing and plenty of thrashing about on bumpy roads too.

On 6/6/2020 at 12:59 PM, Ocheye said:

Mark

Could you tell me where you got your mirrors and if possible the model. Do they work well and do you have flat or convex glass? Sorry for so many questions

Andy

No trouble Andy.

I think TRGB but then again I get all of my TR stuff from there.

To be honest I mounted them in a more easily accessible place to drill the door so I didn't have to disassemble the door.  They're fine really and tend to keep the passenger side so the passenger has a rear view leaving me the drivers side and rear view.

Glass is flat - the curved glass gives a really odd reflection that I'd prefer not to have.

On 6/5/2020 at 4:02 PM, NigelH said:

Hi Stuart

Mine's got lowered stiffer springs and I really wouldn't want to be any closer to the deck than this as keeping the silencer off the tarmac would be an issue.  An inch or so less on the front would for me prove problematic I think.

I'll post a front view too to see if that demonstrates what I mean better

Thinking about it I'm pretty happy with the ride height as there's reasonable compliance when driving and if I do hit a bump mid-corner the car isn't upset - just absorbs it and carries on.  The tyre wall obviously helps too as does keeping correct tyre pressures.

General ground clearance is OK with the silencer as mentioned being the low point.  I have hit the front pan a few times when in a dip at speed, but then again that was probably preceded or followed by another bit of the undercarriage connecting with the highway too.

Thanks Mark, from the front view you have posted, my wires are more offset, at least 1" I'd say.

It only just catches the lip on the arch..and only on the odd occasion..will probably drop to 165's when these tyres are done (in 15 years or so)

4 hours ago, NigelH said:

Thanks Mark, from the front view you have posted, my wires are more offset, at least 1" I'd say.

It only just catches the lip on the arch..and only on the odd occasion..will probably drop to 165's when these tyres are done (in 15 years or so)

Will slow you down in the corners for sure...  I'd have the wheels changed personally.

4 hours ago, NigelH said:

Have a look and see if you have hub spacers fitted so you could run with steel wheels if adaptor removed, i.e. you still have long studs. Also FWIW any tyres over 6 to 8 yrs old should be changed anyway.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart