Garage activity postings......

7 hours ago, Lebro said:

Already in hand !

IMG-20200720-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.5ebe62131f46969118a22836a9a23833.jpeg   IMG-20200720-WA0003.thumb.jpeg.067c83cc79427a8e6c8f1e456d097774.jpeg   IMG-20200720-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.fca395e8f0023bd3d63e48152f2e4969.jpeg   IMG-20200720-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.ca1e21fa1f9050cb452dad2903e9b342.jpeg

Bob.

I couldn’t make mine as wide as yours because I have Siamesed inlet manifolds from a TR4a and they are longer than your log manifold. 

nice job by the way  

rgds Ian

DA5B0AA7-E7E5-40ED-A0F8-7F8C59F06789.jpeg

77468C46-B78D-4423-8795-129F21E32502.jpeg

Edited by Ian Vincent
44 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

I couldn’t make mine as wide as yours because I have Siamesen inlet manifolds from a TR4a and they are longer than your log manifold. 

nice job by the way  

rgds Ian

Look again ! Mine is a 4A manifold. The inner wing has been "relieved" a little.  New filter depth now 50mm plate to plate.

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Tony.

Yes, the Lidl "Metal paint with rust protection" is brilliant stuff, I have both the brush on, & aerosol type, much prefer the aerosol, is covers anything in 1 coat pretty much, give it 3 coats (wet on wet) and you get a perfect finish. Goes direct onto metal, & prevents any further rusting.

Filters finished now.

1420210473_Bothmeshes.jpg.b86824060d6dc9f31389c97e9f221b82.jpg 473031564_Fitted2.thumb.jpg.47d4af4d07fba9d7d33e0a2bc3aa6597.jpg 2025715831_Fitted1.thumb.jpg.fbe430b737cb6db3bc6f4323ba97c612.jpg Gap.thumb.jpg.3f20107b5d81a633ddb0e04215f5a24a.jpg

Bob

Preparing the car for the first competition of the year

shelsely Walsh on 25th

screen off

hardtop off

timing strut on

race wheels on

numbers on.

it may be live streamed too :D

2841B08D-FFA5-44EF-BCDB-5015C4053451.jpeg

Been back on the panels last few times leading the lower seams and repairs, bear metaling the panels with the DA and Bonda rusting them. Glad I bought a decent mask as the filters were red and I looked like the red man of Borneo! 

Going to buy some fresh filters before I do the bonnet which needs stripping. Can't make my mind up to do the boot as its been painted with 2K epoxy and looks solid. Anyway  heres a few pics.

Painting 9.jpg

Painting 12.jpg

Painting 2.jpg

Painting 4.jpg

painting 5.jpg

My current challenge is to get rid of the fuel smell in the boot of my 6. In addition I had noticed the course fuel filter (glass) on the outlet from the tank was full of rust and crud.

I should add that at some point the Lucas pump has been replaced by a Bosch system purchased from Prestige Developments & Injection.

So tank was drained; easier than i was expecting. Then with the boot trim out I was able to start removing the pump and filters.

Problem number 1 - The glass bodied course filter connects to the pump but they have very different sized inlets/outlets. So the solution seems to be to have a large diameter outer rubber tube fitted to the pump and then a smaller tube inside that to fit the filter. The whole thing just disintegrated as I took it apart and was certainly a main contributor to the fuel smell. Some of the problem might have been caused by the rubber being attacked by ethanol in the fuel.

Problem number 2 - At the outlet end of the pump there is a tortuous double 90 degree link to the filter that involves two cajon type fittings. The short plastic pipe connecting the two right angle fittings is mangled. Although it might not have actually be leaking (yet). I will get another piece of fuel pipe and replace it.

Problem number 3 - After the pump we get to the main fuel filter. If the arrows are anything to go by it has been fitted backwards. I will get a new filter and fit it in the correct orientation.

Problem number 4 - Why is there rust in the course filter? Now back off to the garage to get the tank out and have a closer look.

A few photographs, sorry for the disco lighting effect.

IMG_0412.jpeg

IMG_0413.jpeg

IMG_0414.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 6:30 PM, Hamish said:

Preparing the car for the first competition of the year

shelsely Walsh on 25th

screen off

hardtop off

timing strut on

race wheels on

numbers on.

it may be live streamed too :D

Hamish, saw your footage and heard the roar of the engine. You don't say anything about how and if the mods made a difference.

I can recall the negative camber on front suspension, the race wheels, but there might have been something else? Oh yes, stacks in the carbs. What did all this change? :)

25 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

Hamish, saw your footage and heard the roar of the engine. You don't say anything about how and if the mods made a difference.

I can recall the negative camber on front suspension, the race wheels, but there might have been something else? Oh yes, stacks in the carbs. What did all this change? :)

Hi

the big change was the whole front suspension Fitted tr4a top wishbones onto a pair of bastuck adjustable fulcrum, set to approx 1.5 neg camber with the 4a trunnions for some caster. Gaz adjustable shocks set med soft with 420lb springs. ( the ones in before were 390lb I believe)

the race tyres I’ve been using for a couple of seasons  road legal tarmac rally tyres in 185/55x15.

its worth 1.6 seconds on a 42/3 sec run so quite significant in my book as it gave me my personal best time 

I haveN’t fitted the new radius stubbie carb inlets yet  

but I’m back at Shelsely on Saturday so we’ll see ?!?

H

• 2 weeks later...

visit of my mate Wolfgang yersterday, on the table:

ap (B&B) old model, several ap (B&B) new model, Laycock, Sachs, also different release bearings, friction plates (also an old "polished" asbestos one)

IMG_7029-b.JPG.f428c17d6fabae787207c6a9338d24d1.JPG

A bit difficult to decide for him which to take to reduce the pedal forces (with our Opel Omega Sachs hydraulic)

Edited by Z320
1 hour ago, Mick Forey said:

Glad to see some white wine was used to help the thinking and decision making process. :D:rolleyes:

Mick

Hi Mick,

yes indeed it did! Very cold and fresh while 35 deg. C at the garage.

I'm absolutely pleased about your comment because I asked myself: will anyone realize the white wine on the photo...?!?

Salute! Marco

1 hour ago, Ian Vincent said:

I’m amazed you were allowed to use the dining table for the display. My wife would have killed me!

Rgds Ian

My wife would kill me too!

Don't worry, thats a movable workbench at my garage, she allows me to do there what ever I want.  

Edited by Z320
4 hours ago, Z320 said:

...I asked myself: will anyone realize the white wine on the photo...?!?...

I saw the glass and assumed it was brake fluid that had come out of the Sachs hydraulic cylinder.
(Although I did think it was in a rather fancy container.)

Charlie.

Additional to all comments above;)

I would use The one in the best condition first, then check dimensions /geometry of the fingers As that nay be an indication for force required. 
Waldi

Oh oh, and I thought German women were so forgiving to their husbands.

11 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi Mick,

yes indeed it did! Very cold and fresh while 35 deg. C at the garage.

I'm absolutely pleased about your comment because I asked myself: will anyone realize the white wine on the photo...?!?

Salute! Marco

It was the first thing that I noticed.