Garage activity postings......

I borrowed a cheap but accurate laser to adjust the alignment of the 4 wheels, surprised how accurate it is And how easy it is to measure camber. 
Toe-in which has much smaller margins is probably less accurate, I’m curious to see what the difference will be with a professional alignment in a shop. That’s going to be done with the first “MOT” in over 2 decades.

Waldiimage.jpeg.b5965a21548507d56ccacf74104ee217.jpegimage.jpeg.7e2b4607db1d02239e184936a3b8c729.jpeg

Some bling arrived today. 

i had contemplated waiting for a rolling road session before fitting these stub stacks to do a back to back check. 

but I don’t see a RR session any time soon so I may have to just fit them. 

CC2669B2-D115-4EE3-ACC8-DE50502D76C9.jpeg

C0553750-752F-4369-B557-F928E4DEB9F4.jpeg

Edited by Hamish

Hamish,

Thanks for posting that, I had been looking for a little while for those exact stub stacks.

i had similar in my spitfire on 1-1/2 SU’s and couldn’t find the larger size from our normal triumph suppliers.

cheers!

Neil

Neil

you are welcome. It’s why this forum is so great. 
H

234298B2-E66E-461C-A6C5-A75B6AE3F8FF.jpeg

12 hours ago, Hamish said:

Neil

H

Hamish do bear in mind that not only will they weaken your mixture in comparison to what it is now but it will also alter the torque curve too.

Stuart.

20 hours ago, Hamish said:

Neil

H

Looking forward to reading about your RR runs with and without the bell mouth fitted. 

Peter W

21 hours ago, Upriis said:

Hamish,

Thanks for posting that, I had been looking for a little while for those exact stub stacks.

i had similar in my spitfire on 1-1/2 SU’s and couldn’t find the larger size from our normal triumph suppliers.

cheers!

Neil

https://www.med-engineering.co.uk/ancillaries/stub-stacks/med-stub-stacks

Peter W

Finally fitted the sun visors, a job I put off back in 1989 when a change of company meant I was losing the company car so I had to rush to get the TR mobile... then lost one of the brackets, bought another last year but it was the wrong sort, swapped with Roy53 for the correct one. A PO had wanted matt black visors... so he'd painted them... with underseal! A later PO had stripped most of the underseal off, and replaced it with turquoise fur fabric to match his retrim of the interior. Very Austin Powers. The Evo-stik had stained the visors, so after weeks of cleaning, I repainted them with this stuff:

Pete

IMG_20200711_145249754[1].jpg

Nice job. You’ll find that with the visors up you won’t get wet when moving in the rain. With the visors down you still don’t get wet but the inside of the backlight catches a few raindrops. :-)

If you'd seen the various things I tried to clean the vinyl with Stan, you'd be even more amazed. I thought the black 'bits' falling out of the ends were the foam breaking up, but it was just lumps of rust falling out of the steel tube at the front of the visor.

Yes, I think they look better in (off) white - actually the paint is called "Bone". TR6 owners might think differently...

Pete

27 minutes ago, stillp said:

If you'd seen the various things I tried to clean the vinyl with Stan, you'd be even more amazed. I thought the black 'bits' falling out of the ends were the foam breaking up, but it was just lumps of rust falling out of the steel tube at the front of the visor.

Yes, I think they look better in (off) white - actually the paint is called "Bone". TR6 owners might think differently...

Pete

As an aside on the factory parts drawings for TR250/5/6 sun visors there was a part number for 'off white' to be fitted to TR 250.   I have never seen them has anyone across the pond got a car with them fitted?

This could have been a trim engineering specification to cover all bases just like the part numbers for the door tops finished in interior colour to match door panels and seats.   

cheers

Peter W

On 7/8/2020 at 7:02 PM, Hamish said:

Some bling arrived today. 

i had contemplated waiting for a rolling road session before fitting these stub stacks to do a back to back check. 

but I don’t see a RR session any time soon so I may have to just fit them. 

CC2669B2-D115-4EE3-ACC8-DE50502D76C9.jpeg

C0553750-752F-4369-B557-F928E4DEB9F4.jpeg

While browsing Ebay I found some pancake filters for HS6''s for not a lot of money, then I thought, I will make up some "stub stacks" to go inside them.

Didn't like the idea of the 4 holes upsetting the air flow, so did mine a bit differently:

343660838_Millingslots.thumb.jpg.32aa12f6ae7c6f9f6ddf3127e2ac359d.jpg 394011508_Machiningdone.thumb.jpg.44ae0811351a816d716ecfe5611a0b42.jpg 198416558_Studsfitted.thumb.jpg.ab59157ce8ccdcaf88344b1c538b9628.jpg 2102081423_Afterpolishing.jpg.84d11ca753fc77f69ffbfe6ac4f50bfb.jpg  165913222_Oncar1.thumb.jpg.99b3abcdb8595171b3f9c18beb75c2b7.jpg

1276876417_Oncar3.thumb.jpg.950fde869f588c4467f19443a89c4470.jpg 1623545592_Filterson.thumb.jpg.f02bdca6ee83f507715c8f850aee4948.jpg

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Hate to say this Bob but we discounted those pancake filters many years ago as they restrict the airflow too much due to inadequate depth

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Hate to say this Bob but we discounted those pancake filters many years ago as they restrict the airflow too much due to inadequate depth

I had a look at the same company that fabricates those stubs in the photo NED or MED. They stock bigger pancake filters that are cheaper than K&Ns.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Stuart.

Yes, they are shallow, my cunning plan is to get hold of some expanded metal sheet, & make some wider strips to space the plates further apart, then find some suitable foam to replace the narrow strip. Have already made some internal tubes to improve rigidity when clamping the plates together. So will make longer ones to go with longer screws.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro
5 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Yes, they are shallow, my cunning plan is to get hold of some expanded metal sheet, & make some wider strips to space the plates further apart, then find some suitable foam to replace the narrow strip. Have already made some internal tubes to improve rigidity when clamping the plates together. So will make longer ones to go with longer screws.

Bob.

Go for as wide as you can while still allowing clearance to the inner wing is favourite.

Stuart.

23 hours ago, Lebro said:

then I thought, I will make up some "stub stacks" to go inside them.

Didn't like the idea of the 4 holes upsetting the air flow, so did mine a bit differently:

Great development of the stub stack concept, they Look great!

don't fancy making 3 more do you?  :rolleyes:

Having the afternoon in the garage with Brenda, it’s MOT time again as we have only done 4000 miles since last mot there is not a lot to do just a good look over check lights Horne wipers and washer bottle is full and working. A good look underneath and a good use of the grease gun, if it’s not raining tomorrow I pop out for a run.

Mike Redrose group 

On 7/15/2020 at 11:39 AM, Lebro said:

Bob.

Bob,

Been there and done that.  I probably have enough spare expamet and certainly enough foam for you to be able to open them out.  You need to extend the studding that retains the cover and the maximum amount you can widen them to is about 34mm instead of the 25mm that they currently are.  I'll post a photo of mine tomorrow sometime.

Rgds Ian