Garage activity postings......

On 6/5/2020 at 9:23 AM, stuart said:

Looks like the TR Bitz one.

Stuart.

It came from Moss 17 years ago. I have just changed it as it was rather worn out after 52,000 miles. The new one from Moss needed a bit of fettling to make it fit the old brackets but Moss was very supportive of me taking a file to a brand new rack and keeping the warranty. It is the upside down rack from a classic Mini with shorter track rods.

Mick

My TR3a is booked for an MOT next week so I was just giving it a quick check this afternoon and found a loose front wheel bearing.  Only a tiny bit of movement but enough to fail an MOT I suspect.

A simple enough task except that I have stub axle stiffeners and the one in question seems to have welded itself to the stub axle which means I have to remove the brake calliper to allow me to get a puller onto the hub etc.  And the calliper bolts are locked in with Loctite 270 which is a b****r to shift!  Why do the simplest tasks turn out to take longer than they should.  Next, I'll probably find I haven't got the right shim.

Rgds Ian

Only 2 1/2hrs today so not quite finished the chassis strip down. Pressure washed the other evening and a load of paint stopped holdings hands and flew off........well 40 years is not too bad.

7C3D09A6-2145-4DA5-A7CE-52F1F2F64174.jpeg

6 minutes ago, iain said:

Discovered the axle ratio stamped in the casing. I didn’t  know that was there.

F34DA279-61C3-4869-B7C6-3E74EF963A04.jpeg

Iain

does your speedometer match road speed ? 

if so is it recalibrated or a special Speedo with a different Speedo number on the dial.

(Mine is 1180 under mileometer)

H

Hamish and Deggars, I have known for some time I had a 4.1:1 axle which explained why when young and a bit less mortal I used to stay with my mate in his 6. It’s only in this second period of ownership that I realised why. The speedo was actually the give away. 1300 not the normal 1180. It’s just nice to know that the axle is still the original only about 200 out from the commission number. As Deggars says it’s real archaeology and this car has certainly shown me many examples of that.

Iain

38 minutes ago, iain said:

Hamish and Deggars, I have known for some time I had a 4.1:1 axle which explained why when young and a bit less mortal I used to stay with my mate in his 6. It’s only in this second period of ownership that I realised why. The speedo was actually the give away. 1300 not the normal 1180. It’s just nice to know that the axle is still the original only about 200 out from the commission number. As Deggars says it’s real archaeology and this car has certainly shown me many examples of that.

Iain

Hi iain

i have seen a  1312 coded Speedo for sale , would this be the correct one for a 4.1:1 ?

thinking of having my speedo recalibrated 
Stuart suggested these guys 

http://www.jdo1.com/speedo_calibration_1.html

41 minutes ago, iain said:

As Deggars says it’s real archaeology and this car has certainly shown me many examples of that. Iain

Fascinating!

Your statement begs a question: which other examples? Do tell. You have a captive audience, you know.

Hi David “Traction 281” in the members section covers much of what I have discovered........but has needed updating for some time with my more recent archaeological discoveries. I must set too and write an update.

Iain

21 hours ago, Hamish said:

Hi iain

i have seen a  1312 coded Speedo for sale , would this be the correct one for a 4.1:1 ?

thinking of having my speedo recalibrated 
Stuart suggested these guys 

http://www.jdo1.com/speedo_calibration_1.html

Hi Hamish.....1300 is correct for a Tr2/3/3a with a 4.1 axle. There are many speedo variants.

I can’t find the reference someone posted a few years ago.

Iain

Thanks iain

think I’ll be sending my Speedo off for calibration 

Stuart has suggested a co. that can turn it round quite quick

H

Speedo calibration 

So today I did the necessary wheel turning and Speedo cable turn counting after a short “Blue Peter” craft activity for the dial and pointer, to get my Speedo recalibrated to take into account modern bigger tyres and New  4.1:1 diff.

JDO instruments http://www.jdo1.com/speedo_calibration_1.html

They  can offer the calibration with data from a jacked up car which is useful for a diy job.

10 wheel turns ( both wheels off the ground with an LSD)

16 3/8th cable turns.

tyre circumference 79 1/4”

gives me a turns per mile of just over 1309.

current Speedo is 1180.

i found this table elsewhere in the web. And I understand 1300tpm was used by Triumph for the 4.1:1 diff on 165 old style tyres.

The guys at JDO are very helpful. And say they will turn it around in 2 - 3 days. Others were weeks !!

Stuart thanks for the recommendation.

CE2EEBA7-94AF-483B-A39D-99F425416E50.png

42A71D72-29F8-4073-8456-38865921136A.jpeg

C0E3774A-9F78-4921-B31F-5DD923278CD0.jpeg

98E990FF-FD52-4774-87F4-7042EA6249DB.jpeg

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

Speedo calibration 

So today I did the necessary wheel turning and Speedo cable turn counting after a short “Blue Peter” craft activity for the dial and pointer, to get my Speedo recalibrated to take into account modern bigger tyres and New  4.1:1 diff.

JDO instruments http://www.jdo1.com/speedo_calibration_1.html

They  can offer the calibration with data from a jacked up car which is useful for a diy job.

10 wheel turns ( both wheels off the ground with an LSD)

16 3/8th cable turns.

tyre circumference 79 1/4”

gives me a turns per mile of just over 1309.

current Speedo is 1180.

i found this table elsewhere in the web. And I understand 1300tpm was used by Triumph for the 4.1:1 diff on 165 old style tyres.

The guys at JDO are very helpful. And say they will turn it around in 2 - 3 days. Others were weeks !!

Stuart thanks for the recommendation.

CE2EEBA7-94AF-483B-A39D-99F425416E50.png

42A71D72-29F8-4073-8456-38865921136A.jpeg

C0E3774A-9F78-4921-B31F-5DD923278CD0.jpeg

98E990FF-FD52-4774-87F4-7042EA6249DB.jpeg

It will come back like new and spot on make sure you’re cable is in the right place and in good condition 

Edited by ntc

And it’s back already !!!

an amazingly quick service.

obviously I will have to road test it now !!:D

57740C98-C618-4A82-B146-AAAE72054241.jpeg

394152D0-5FFB-4935-97C5-98267ED75ADE.jpeg

F1A5BA02-F004-493F-96AB-8289E7281CE1.jpeg

3 hours ago, Lebro said:

Very smart - it still says 1180 though :)

Bob

Yes

but I think it’s now 1309 

Edited by Hamish
Double post
2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Only one way to find out.....  What does it read at 5500 RPM in o/d top?

Well I popped out just now and the Speedo is very accurate to my satnav that is also a good motorbike garmin.

all the x10 speeds within 1mph. 30, 40, 50, etc

1st gear @5000rpm is about 28mph.

5000rpm 4th is about 85mph ish

2.5k 4th = 40mph

3.0k 4th = 50mph

i have found that the 4th OD is now what 4th used to be with reference to the revs.

2000 rpm = 40mph

3k= 60mph

3.5k = 70mph

thus 5k Redline will be approx 100. In OD4th

3rd OD is redundant as it’s the same as 4th. !!!!

(ps i Sh 1t myself when at high revs at speed there was a horrendous banging- I thought the engine had let go - but I had fitted my TR CLUB NHS plaque above the windscreen and At a critical speed it leaned back and started a rapid drumming on the roof !!!)

F6B3DA37-C39D-4C3C-B0C9-7C8EB69844F0.jpeg

(ps i Sh 1t myself when at high revs at speed there was a horrendous banging- I thought the engine had let go - but I had fitted my TR CLUB NHS plaque above the windscreen and At a critical speed it leaned back and started a rapid drumming on the roof !!!)

Larfed out louD at that Hamish (but know how you feel)!

As I have a 1180 with 4.1.1 diff and this seemed relatively straightforward (by comparison with the suspension) you've now got my interest. Last time I looked, getting the speedo out was going to be a bit of a faff. Easy?

Miles

Miles

a man of your caliber should have no problems with the out and in of the Speedo.

cable off first then the 2 thumb knurled nuts on the back of the angled bracket (note the way it sits on a stand off casting at the top!!) one knurled nut had an earth attachment. Then pull the Speedo and remove the 2 Speedo illumination bulbs and the main beam warning light.

Fitting is the reverse of removal but a little trickier to get the Bracket fitting nicely due to all the wires and access is a little tight due to the  steering column brackets.

the trick on the calibration measurements is to use masking or duck tape to measure circumference of the tyre. Mine ended up as 1309 rather than the 1180.

well worth the trouble for an accurate speed on the road.

and can’t recommend JDO Instruments highly enough.

CED09C95-F72C-4821-AD11-56F7B74CC182.jpeg

FA7F8DEA-929E-4B5B-9A3D-38FB9618140F.jpeg

Edited by Hamish
Added pics

Wow you now have very high gearing. Should make it very accelerative,  If a bit busy on motorways .....but lots of fun from 70- 90 if it’s legal!

Iain