What could this be..?

In my hunt to find the petrol smell in the boot I noticed something that doesn't seem to appear in my manuals so I'm wondering what it is..? 

In my defence, I have to say I am new to fuel injection so this may be a VERY stupid question...:wacko:

Firstly, I understand the fuel flow should be essentially: Tank > Filter > Pump > PRV > MU with a return feed from the PRV to the filter.

From the photos it seems to me that firstly, the pump and filter are placed the wrong way around (?) and secondly I have no idea what the third item is (highlighted with red) in the second photo. There is a fuel line in from the filter and a line out towards the front of the car. I haven't been underneath yet to see if there is anything else connected inline (e.g. PRV). Could it be some type of PRV though or regulator to maintain the pressure..? There is no return feed from the unit to the filter or tank... 

20200602_195146.jpg

20200602_195442.jpg

Looks like a Bosch filter to me, like the type that comes when you buy a "Bosch" fuel pump kit today, pump and filter. You would appear to have the filter part.

looks like you have 2 inline filters before the PRV valve  , do not like the look of the lower pipe into the pump from what appears to be either a prepump filter or some kind of swirl pot.

graham

Is it a pressure vessel in the wheel well as fitted to some of the cars such as the XR3i and the post filter in the wheel arch.

Given that that the Bosch system that used the pressure vessel ran at a lower pressure than the Lucas PI I'm not sure it will be doing much more than functioning as a non return valve - if my memory serves me well they ran at 50psi. (I'm not sure of the internal construction but likely to be a simple spring to hold the pressure so may well be fully compressed at 105psi - if it's air or gas it may well function at higher pressures)