Help identifying mystery lamp please

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the lamp is in the attached photo? I don't know if it was original or has been added. There are 2 wires connected, a purple/white one and a black one. These 2 wires are taped together and disappear over the top of the heater box towards the front of the car. When I connect it up it seems to be on all the time - but what is it indicating? If you can't see the photo the lamp is between the heater control knob and the blower knob.

No big deal, I have lived without it for 5 years, so it clearly isn't critical but if it serves no purpose I would rather remove it.

Thanks for any help.

Rob

20200603_113224.jpg

Rob Looks after market to me. If the previous owner followed Lucas conventional colour code wiring Purple main / White tracer

should be for " interior light to switch ( subsidiary circuit - door safety lights to switch ) ".

It's going to be a treasure hunt , does the wiring re emerge in the engine bay or stay under the dash. Does the car have any extra , 

non standard , accessories fitted ( e.g something like a redundant Alarm system ? ).

Bob

Rob

No expert but as far as i'm aware no TR6 had a ligth here at build, so i would say it an addition.

But what i does i've no real idea.

In terms of the wire colours Black should be an earth and Purple White should be Interior light to switch assuming whoever fitted it used BS Colour Codes.

Is it a bright LED as it could be an addition to int lights.

But otherwise can't suggest anything but can't see it be a crucial warning light.

Cheers   Keith

Thanks for comments. I'm pretty sure you are right - it seems to be an addition, all the photos of "original" 6's and the parts diagrams etc don't show anything there.

Looks older than the wiring added for various radios that look to have been fitted at different times - it is an original filament bulb so not a more recent LED addition.

Wires disappear off somewhere out of sight and don't reappear in the engine bay. I'm not stripping everything out to trace them. I'll just disconnect it as it was before. I'll probably just leave it in place, its pretty unobtrusive (confuse the next owner!)

Thanks for the quick replies.

Back to fitting the hazard warning switch now which started the hunting around the wires behind the dash!

Cheers,

Rob

20 hours ago, Rob Y said:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the lamp is in the attached photo? I don't know if it was original or has been added. There are 2 wires connected, a purple/white one and a black one. These 2 wires are taped together and disappear over the top of the heater box towards the front of the car. When I connect it up it seems to be on all the time - but what is it indicating? If you can't see the photo the lamp is between the heater control knob and the blower knob.

No big deal, I have lived without it for 5 years, so it clearly isn't critical but if it serves no purpose I would rather remove it.

Thanks for any help.

Rob

20200603_113224.jpg

Rob definitely after market and as noted before Purple White would be door light circuit possibly a PO was trying to improve the curtesy light provision.

ATB Graham  

14 hours ago, Mark69 said:

Interestingly there was a switch plinth recently on eBay which had a light strip Recessed into the top section lighting the main switch area.

Looked professionally Manufactured. Thought at the time what a very good idea.

My TR6 came from the factory with an illumination strip above the small plinth. Someone was 3d printing new ones a while back.

Stan

Just a thought, do you have an Inertia Switch for your fuel pump (assuming fuel injected) maybe it’s been replaced with a more “modern” Switch and this has an indicator that it’s connected.  Although, having said that, I think maybe they work the opposite way, light comes on when the inertia circuit is broken.  

i’ve probably managed to successfully confuse the situation 

Stephen