Hi All,

There are different ways to improve the TR. I have change the the breaker points to an CSI ignition, that works very well. Fit an electric fan and some other small stuff.

Now i found this Mikuni  to change the SU carburetors to an new type of carburetor http://www.v-performance.com

Did somebody now this kind of carbs, is it so good as they tell in the info...

What say /think the experts on this forum of these..

An complete rebuild of mine carbs SU H6 or maybe a new set Mikuni HSR 45....

looking forward to  your reactions

Marcel

hsr_group_l(3).jpg

Thank Hamish fot the links

.. these are different stories, the morgan is smooth installation, the tr4a is trial and error... at the end it is working well.. 

the v-preformance website say it is an easy diy job...  with the dual kit..

TR 6 tripple mikuni carbs http://trippstr6.blogspot.com/ 

Marcel.

Edited by Quicksilver

From a technical point of view, Marcel, what's the difference between Mikuni, SUs, Webers?

(I already have a rough idea of the difference between SUs and Webers).

@ David,

That's the question... I am very pleased with my SU H6 mounted to the long inlet manifold (it is an tide fit) but it works for me for the last 20 years or so.

With the CSI instal last year i had to think about a fine tune/dyno on a rolling road for a perfect setup. (maybe only  an set of needles will fixed it or an rebuild of the carbs is necessary)

Then came this kind of mikuni carbs in the picture.. and they say;  any car that came with SU or Z. Stromberg carbs will show significant improvements in all aspects of performance by simply changing to the Mikuni HSR carbs.  

is that true?

Marcel.

p.s. i now it is the wrong inlet/carb set up, they have told me that in this setup the torque is more in the low rpm's.... (and this is what was on the car when we bought it 25 years ago. . its was lowered to. front and rear suspension)

carbs 1.JPG

carbs 2.JPG

Edited by Quicksilver
4 hours ago, Quicksilver said:

carbs 1.JPG

carbs 2.JPG

Yours looks like a 4A setup, excellent. And a takeoff for breather pipe. "Banana branch" inlet manifold and HS6s, one with a brass plunger top, into standard forged 2/3/3A exhaust manifold?

Richard Crewdson, I think that's his name, refurbishes and sells 4A exhaust manifolds which are more efficient in terms of gas flow. That's what I would do first. Or I could be mistaken. Is it a 4A exhaust manifold?

Edited by DavidBee

Hi Marcel,

I’m not convinced this change alone will bring much difference. I swapped from Strombergs to SU’s on my previous TR6, no change. If mixture is ok and there are not restricting (improving) flow, where would the improvement come from? Off course, Mikunis can be more refined, but more can be gained with increasing CR, and a different cam. At less cost.

Groeten,

Waldi

The Mikuni HSR is an refinement of the classic motorcycle carb. The old Amal, Bing, Mikuni carbs found your typical bike have an air valve to vary the venturi size and and a metering needle and main jet similar to the SU but rely on the throttle cable to raise and lower the valve, which is spring loaded, instead of engine vacuum which varies with RPM. The HSR uses a vertical slide instead of the old style round air valve.

IMHO the SU design and operation is more elegant in principle as it works with fewer moving parts and does not require separate pilot jets or an accelerator pump.