Does my distributor need rotating clockwise 90 degrees??

Hi

If you take a look at the picture I have a feeling I have put my refurbished distributor doctor distributor in at at the wrong angle and I think I need to rotate it clockwise by 90 degrees...

I have not really tried to set the timing properly but the car runs albeit a tiny bit rough at low RPM any advice please??

Richardreceived_336141124035514.thumb.jpeg.722298c38e40ece1d830b9e8eb46a01f.jpeg

If it were 90 degrees out it would be more than a little bit rough!

You can orientate the dizzy in quite a few angles but so long as the rotor arm is pointing at the terminal that corresponds to the correct plug lead (that is firing) it doesn't greatly matter.

My distributor cap hold down clips are under #3 and #4 plug leads which I think is how you have yours, as long at the tacho cable doesn't have too much of a turn to go thru the bulkhead that should be OK.

John

33 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Ok

Was thinking the electrical wire baxk to the coil is close to the engine block

Thats usual, the only thing different with yours is you seem to have the retard capsule fitted. rather than advance

Stuart.

IMG_2435.jpg

27 minutes ago, stuart said:

Thats usual, the only thing different with yours is you seem to have the retard capsule fitted. rather than advance

Stuart.

IMG_2435.jpg

Its a mod from Martin at Distributor Dr!  A vacuum advance!

Richard

15 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Its a mod from Martin at Distributor Dr!  A vacuum advance!

Richard

Really? The ones facing that way only work to retard I thought.

Stuart.

50 minutes ago, stuart said:

Really? The ones facing that way only work to retard I thought.

Stuart.

I got one of those from a guy in the US, it works in reverse. If you look closely the vacuum pipe fits on the other side of the capsule.

It works really well and mine was endorsed by the Doc.

1 hour ago, DRD said:

I got one of those from a guy in the US, it works in reverse. If you look closely the vacuum pipe fits on the other side of the capsule.

It works really well and mine was endorsed by the Doc.

Oh OK not seen one like that before, interesting.

Stuart.

AarhusTr6,

Your dizzie looks to be in a good position.    You can 'rotate' it by 60 degrees by moving the plug leads round by one, which would need only a small twist then to get the 90 you want.   But first double check that at TDC, firing stroke No.1 (both valves closed), the rotor arm is pointing at the right plug lead.

John